Volkswagen Polo 10 plate help

Found 10th Nov 2017
Picking up a used Volkswagen Polo 10 plate on Monday and it’s my first car so I’m just wondering what are the main things I should look out for which could cause me problems in the future as I’m not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to cars(shock)

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

Would've been better to do this before you bought it?

What engine is it?

I think the major thing to check is the Cambelt history - has it been changed?

If you have gone for the 1.4 I think this is an inspection only at 5 years old, but worth checking with the dealer as most VWs your age are replace at (every) 5 years.

Have a look at the service history - at 7 years old it is likely to have had new plugs, if not consider having them done at the next service.

Polos are generally reliable cars and I'm not aware of any major problems.

Major thing going forward is to ensure the car is "serviced" every year - as prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure! This is mainly an oil change - use Quantum Platinum 5W-40. Check both the oil and antifreeze levels regularly yourself and always have some correct grade oil and antifreeze available to top up if necessary. The annual MOT will identify any necessary work to keep the car safe.

Start watching youtube videos on your model of Polo - familiarise yourself with oil and filter change, air filter change, pollen filter change - if you can do these you can effectively do a full service. You can do this with just a basic set of tools so over a lifetime an opportunity to save yourself a lot of money!

Original Poster

moob20 m ago

Would've been better to do this before you bought it?What engine is it?

I haven’t actually bought the car yet, put a small deposit on it for reservation reasons and pay upon inspection hence why I’m asking what I should be looking out for. It’s also a 1.4 litre petrol

Original Poster

Van197310 m ago

I think the major thing to check is the Cambelt history - has it been …I think the major thing to check is the Cambelt history - has it been changed? If you have gone for the 1.4 I think this is an inspection only at 5 years old, but worth checking with the dealer as most VWs your age are replace at (every) 5 years. Have a look at the service history - at 7 years old it is likely to have had new plugs, if not consider having them done at the next service.Polos are generally reliable cars and I'm not aware of any major problems.Major thing going forward is to ensure the car is "serviced" every year - as prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure! This is mainly an oil change - use Quantum Platinum 5W-40. Check both the oil and antifreeze levels regularly yourself and always have some correct grade oil and antifreeze available to top up if necessary. The annual MOT will identify any necessary work to keep the car safe.Start watching youtube videos on your model of Polo - familiarise yourself with oil and filter change, air filter change, pollen filter change - if you can do these you can effectively do a full service. You can do this with just a basic set of tools so over a lifetime an opportunity to save yourself a lot of money!

Thank you so much for this useful information, certainly saved me a lot of headache here(:I really appreciate your input

dom61095 m ago

I haven’t actually bought the car yet, put a small deposit on it for r …I haven’t actually bought the car yet, put a small deposit on it for reservation reasons and pay upon inspection hence why I’m asking what I should be looking out for. It’s also a 1.4 litre petrol

Glad it's not the 1.2 - total buckets

Find the VW Polo owners club forum and sign up. Then look about for commonly mentioned issues.
It is always a great place to start.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions