Groups

Voluntary excess on car insurance. is it voluntary to pay it?

some little idiot poured paint stripper over my car last night! pretty much needs a full respray! rang police, nothing they can do. bloke at police said they might write it off, or if they dont just pay the compulsory excess for the repair. i said i have £250 voluntary to pay too and he said you dont have to pay it, just means insurance will go up more if i dont, but he doubts it will go up £250. any idea if he is right?

7 Comments

yes u have to pay it , when u took out insurance it gave u option of paying vol insurance the higher you put it at your quote or when u took it out the cheaper ur insurance would have been , so sadly now u have to pay the 250 if u make a claim

Banned

no you have to pay it, you sign to pay it when you take out insurance

ooops what nitty said - lol

If i were you I would remove the P word from your post, otherwise u may get punished.

Also yeah ur gonna have to pay it im affraid, you basicly said to ur insrance that you will pay £250 towards any damage, and they pay the rest.

Original Poster

dam. i didnt think the bloke knew what he was on about! i should read smallprint better. if i had an accident then i wouldnt mind paying if either my fault or whatever, but when someone vandalises my car its such a shame to have to pay for their little bit of fun! grrrr

The voluntary part of the excess is that you have volunteered to pay an additional excess over what the insurer has deemed to be a reasonable compulsory excess - in order to bring your premium down.

Say Compulsory Excess = £200
    Voluntary Excess = £200

Total Excess Payable on event of a claim = £400.

Banned

moob;7079422

The voluntary part of the excess is that you have volunteered to pay an … The voluntary part of the excess is that you have volunteered to pay an additional excess over what the insurer has deemed to be a reasonable compulsory excess - in order to bring your premium down.Say Compulsory Excess = £200Voluntary Excess = £200Total Excess Payable on event of a claim = £400.

couldnt have put it better myself

your hit for it - cough up

dimebars;7079735

couldnt have put it better myselfyour hit for it - cough up

I know it's Xmas mate - but... :lol:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE33
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…55
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764320
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism814

See more discussions