Groups

Volunteering, if you can consider giving some of your time up.

If you have free time on your hands consider giving some of it too a good cause like a local charity shop. Last year I was out of work and was going mad with nothing to do so decided to volunteer a few days a week at a local charity shop.

And I loved it a complete change from the old factory work I had done, meeting different people and becoming friendly with regulars was such a refreshing change, and to be honest sort of stopped looking for paid work and just going through the motions as doing the voluntary work was doing great for me mentally and emotionally, I had at 40 finally found something I enjoyed so I just stuck with it.

A year on from there I became an assistant manager at one of the other shops the charity has and never once has it felt like "work" - you know the kind where sometimes you wake up and think oh crap i'm at work today.

13 Comments

Couldn't agree more. I've just done 6 months unpaid work (not technically voluntary, as it was part of a course), but I have now been offered contracted hours at the end of it. Volunteering is a way into employment and is all for a good cause. I always recommend befriendachild.org.uk/get…ng/ if people have time. There are so many children in care that need positive role models.

glad you found your "calling".

Charity begins at home. Remember that place? It is where you can park your car, microwave a meal, sleep, shower, then return to work without waking other members of your family.

I suspect many full-time workers used to have free time, but now just do unpaid work before 9am & after 5pm.

Stopping for lunch is often a luxury, & being contacted when on holiday is becoming more frequent.

It's ok if you have other means of paying the bills.

As op said . Free time . If you work full time and run a family it isn't that easy . If you have free time then sharing it helping others can be very rewarding . Judging by the number of posts for computer games on here , a lot of people have a lot of spare time...

deeky

It's ok if you have other means of paying the bills.

And you like the smell of sweaty socks. (_;)

The wife drags me in 'em on a saturday morning, she keeps buying jigsaw puzzles for her dad with pieces missing. Takes him a week to find out there's a couple of pieces short mind. X)

Well done mate, good to hear a positive story.

What's free time? I run three regions in the uk and have three young kids, I would live to have a minute for myself! oO

Nice one Op, my career started with some voluntary work at a local hospice, I only did it for a year but it left a lasting impression on me and some of the patients I will never forget, especially the young lady who was only 25 with a husband and two kids who was expected to see Christmas but not new year.
    Whenever I feel moaning about work, the gas bill, politics etc I remember her and think its not that bad at all.

On a more uplifting note, my mate has started doing some volunteer work for bacaworld.org which is an amazing charity, I am fairly cynical about charities but this one seems to be filling a much needed gap in a young persons recovery.

DKLS

Nice one Op, my career started with some voluntary work at a local … Nice one Op, my career started with some voluntary work at a local hospice, I only did it for a year but it left a lasting impression on me and some of the patients I will never forget, especially the young lady who was only 25 with a husband and two kids who was expected to see Christmas but not new year. Whenever I feel moaning about work, the gas bill, politics etc I remember her and think its not that bad at all.On a more uplifting note, my mate has started doing some volunteer work for http://bacaworld.org which is an amazing charity, I am fairly cynical about charities but this one seems to be filling a much needed gap in a young persons recovery.

I was initally quite sceptical when I clicked on that link but after 5 minutes reading I am pricing up leathers and a new Victory Gunner, **** awesome work!

Shaydog

I was initally quite sceptical when I clicked on that link but after 5 … I was initally quite sceptical when I clicked on that link but after 5 minutes reading I am pricing up leathers and a new Victory Gunner, **** awesome work!

So was I, until I read the clinical paper that the founder had written which explains the science of how it works.

Charity work, loving life, yeah yeah!

What we all want to know is have you found any good stuff when you rummage through the donated boxes/bags/ pockets before you put it out for sale!

Mark2111

Charity work, loving life, yeah yeah! What we all want to know is have … Charity work, loving life, yeah yeah! What we all want to know is have you found any good stuff when you rummage through the donated boxes/bags/ pockets before you put it out for sale!

Bonus of the job!! X)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7271383
      2. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608651
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047187
      4. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.918

See more discussions