Groups

Voters names revealed?

Do you feel those who vote should have their names revealed? This is to avoid abuse of the voting system so that persistent offenders who unjustly vote a deal cold or hot for instance, are exposed, and prevented from taking part in future votes since they will inevitably skew the average.

38 Comments

No definately

Before I vote I would like to know what you mean by unjustly?

Original Poster

stora

Before I vote I would like to know what you mean by unjustly?

May I start by commenting how beautiful you look in you avatar.

By unjustly, I mean, without reason. As good as navigating the internet blindfolded.

why should you be afraid of everyone else knowing your opinion? Unless you are trying being awkward and don't want anyone to know

Yes, It would stop the people who vote cold without reason.

will our names be revealed if we vote in this thread

only joking

The last time I voted cold and gave a reason the thread just turned into posts of why I was wrong and not about the deal. I say no leave it as it is.

The number of HOT voters outnumbering people either with a 'genuine' reason to vote cold but couldn't be bothered to post the reason (or it would just be a duplicate of a reason already posted) or people voting maliciously will always mean that the current temp system is actually pretty accurate IF the deal is hot.

There does seem to be a small number of individuals that initially Cold a lot of new deals but in light of the above point the only time this becomes an issue is if the OP starts whining about these cold votes which I've seen just encourage people to continue 'colding' to get a rise, otherwise it works out as above.

As Stora points out, it would actually cause more harm than good if people are afraid to cool a deal down for fear of the hassle they will get.

[SIZE="2"]I think not! I mean as far as the temperature guage goes, only someone with mod-like ability to heat up or cool down posts has any significant influence over the eventual temperature. And, does it mean that there are people on here who go out their was to get to their pc/ laptop, come to HUKD andattempt to mess with the temperature guage for the hell of it? If that is someone's idea of happines, then let them have - at least it keeps then off the streets!

And, genuine cold voters may be wrongfully accused of being deviants? I mean, I don't vote on every deal: if I don't know anything about the deal, I don't vote.

No - anonymity forever :thumbsup:[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]And, (again) think of the logistcs. How many people voted on that Dell deal posted by Mike T - how practical is it to have thousands of voters listed? :roll:[/SIZE]

windhoek

[SIZE="2"]I think not! I mean as far as the temperature guage goes, only … [SIZE="2"]I think not! I mean as far as the temperature guage goes, only someone with mod-like ability to heat up or cool down posts has any significant influence over the eventual temperature. [/SIZE]

The highest temp change for any individual is 12 degrees either way, this includes mods & whatever number of high rep members. In theory this could mean that a fairly small number of these members could alter a temp significantly but in the main if a deal's HOT it'll right itself as I said.

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO

The highest temp change for any individual is 12 degrees either way.

Well I never knew that! :-D

I fear if they were, we'd start having a tit for tat situation...'You voted cold on my deal, I am going to vote cold on yours' etc

[SIZE="2"]In a bizaare paradox - it seems to be the yes voters in this thread poll who are remaining anonymous![/SIZE] :roll:

windhoek

[SIZE="2"]In a bizaare paradox - it seems to be the yes voters in this … [SIZE="2"]In a bizaare paradox - it seems to be the yes voters in this thread poll who are remaining anonymous![/SIZE] :roll:

hotukdeals.com/for…=93

^^^ Lists all those who've voted, Its not exactly anonymous!

Iom-RF

http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=93^^^ … http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=93^^^ Lists all those who've voted, Its not exactly anonymous!

[SIZE="5"]Doh!!![/SIZE]
    :lol:

Welcome back Iom-RF :thumbsup:

windhoek

Welcome back Iom-RF :thumbsup:

Cheers!, Glad to be back! :giggle:

How about 'Does it matter' option?

dinosteveus

How about 'Does it matter' option?

I vote for that.

Like Charlie said, if the deal is geniunely good, then it will be hot no matter.

Too many people post a deal, that is at the RRP price and expect it to be voted hot :roll: - what is the point in that, I dont want the front/home pages listed with RRP deals.

Or "who cares" i'd be that one.

gd_miester

I vote for that.Like Charlie said, if the deal is geniunely good, then it … I vote for that.Like Charlie said, if the deal is geniunely good, then it will be hot no matter.Too many people post a deal, that is at the RRP price and expect it to be voted hot :roll: - what is the point in that, I dont want the front/home pages listed with RRP deals.

OOoooo, please don't get me started on poorly researched 'Hot Deals'....

i think it would be a waste of time and effort to enforce this as it would just cause more hassle/arguements for mods to police, mods can already see whos voting how so they can moderate troublesome voters as they see fit, doing what the op suggests would just cause tit for tat as someone has already pointed out

I voted no, but i don't think it would really matter either way. Maybe people should only be able to vote hot and then if they don't like the deal not vote at all.

what about the not bothered option?

Original Poster

gd_miester

I vote for that.Like Charlie said, if the deal is geniunely good, then it … I vote for that.Like Charlie said, if the deal is geniunely good, then it will be hot no matter.Too many people post a deal, that is at the RRP price and expect it to be voted hot :roll: - what is the point in that, I dont want the front/home pages listed with RRP deals.

That's highly subjective- a Porsche for instance, doesn't come with a discount easily. It sells itself. Where a discount (even a small one) is available, it's better than nothing. And for certain, such deals as you are clearly taking a jab at the deal I posted yesterday, are not as easy to come by as you think. At least, not in the current market yet still get voted cold. I do my research before I post. I hope for your sake the same can be said about yourself.

Original Poster

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO

The number of HOT voters outnumbering people either with a 'genuine' … The number of HOT voters outnumbering people either with a 'genuine' reason to vote cold but couldn't be bothered to post the reason (or it would just be a duplicate of a reason already posted) or people voting maliciously will always mean that the current temp system is actually pretty accurate IF the deal is hot.There does seem to be a small number of individuals that initially Cold a lot of new deals but in light of the above point the only time this becomes an issue is if the OP starts whining about these cold votes which I've seen just encourage people to continue 'colding' to get a rise, otherwise it works out as above.As Stora points out, it would actually cause more harm than good if people are afraid to cool a deal down for fear of the hassle they will get.

And that's exactly why it's not an impartial system and there needs to be a mechanism to prevent abuse more than just what mods might spot for instance.

I voted yes, because I think it was a hot deal. Thanks for posting, rep added. :giggle:

Original Poster

qazim

what about the not bothered option?

not bothered = no vote (since you are not bothered it wouldn't matter either way)

wow its exactly 50/50
    good question

Original Poster

Crazy1

I voted yes, because I think it was a hot deal. Thanks for posting, rep … I voted yes, because I think it was a hot deal. Thanks for posting, rep added. :giggle:

Crazy by name, but not by nature- thanks for seeing the light. :thumbsup:

Cameron was talking about transparency with regards to Northern Rock, it would be nice to have the same with votes here (but on a far less serious scale :giggle: )

Blanco

And that's exactly why it's not an impartial system and there needs to be … And that's exactly why it's not an impartial system and there needs to be a mechanism to prevent abuse more than just what mods might spot for instance.

That happens in such a small number of cases that it wouldn't be worth doing just for this reason....as I said, even if someone starts whining that people are voting cold & gets set upon IF the deal is HOT it will rectify itself.

Has Admin suggested this? if not it's just another moot point (sorry was waiting for ages to use moot):oops:

Blanco

Crazy by name, but not by nature- thanks for seeing the light. :thumbsup: … Crazy by name, but not by nature- thanks for seeing the light. :thumbsup: Cameron was talking about transparency with regards to Northern Rock, it would be nice to have the same with votes here (but on a far less serious scale :giggle: )

It would be nice alright but as we have Gordons men & women around here we will have to live with the spin (and delete, now your post has gone) that goes on :whistling:

fox2020

Has Admin suggested this? if not it's just another moot point (sorry was … Has Admin suggested this? if not it's just another moot point (sorry was waiting for ages to use moot):oops:

Nice word. :roll:

Yes, Admin suggested it and we are getting Sigs back, PM restrictions are being lifted and all ebay links are allowed. :giggle:

[CENTER]http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/IMZ/IMZ002/har0017.jpg[/CENTER]

[CENTER]*I wonder if anybody believed me* :giggle: [/CENTER]

there should be a third choice for i dont care

Banned

jasonrat

Hmm, i'm trying to think of a way that you could express that opinion in another way...

jasonrat

You select that choice by not clicking on the thread.

I voted 'yes', as I don't see what problem there would be as to vote cold I personally would have a valid reason and would state that in the thread to warn others as to a problem with the deal etc anyway.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767248
      2. love affairs1226
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1212
      4. Apples new update812

See more discussions