Voting Hot or Cold

Posted 18th Feb
Correct me if I am wrong or you see any different.

It has come to my intention that whenever you post a deal it gets marked down by people intent to get a hotter deal on the front page.

Once your deal is off the front page then it gets the positive votes it deserves off of normal users.

Has anyone else experienced this oddity?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Could happen, I also think some people vote down certain people’s deals regardless of how good the deal is..
Willy_Wonka18/02/2020 20:41

Do you really think that happens? I wouldn't go that far. I never look at …Do you really think that happens? I wouldn't go that far. I never look at the username when voting on a deal. Price & availability is all that matters.

I don't have paranoia, I don't think of negative or positive votes anymore when posting a deal, not since this bizarre voting:

hotukdeals.com/dea…732

Mine with SD adapter, from Picstop 13 Dec 2017, £14.79 with minus 46 cold

The other, same product minus the SD adapter, from Mymemory , 9 Dec 2017, £18.99 with plus 79 hot.

Over the years, I found Picstop is as good as Mymemory.
I personally dont vote cold on any deal, if i dont think its a deal for me or anyone i dont vote, if it is then i vote hot
The reason i dont vote cold is that alot of posters put alot of effort into what they do and it can be a bit demoralising by getting cold votes or a cutting comment
Edited by: "Diamond_Studd" 19th Feb
36 Comments
Surely not tactical voting indicating the slow demise within the world of commercial forumism?
Sounds like a conspiracy theory

It is very obvious though that some find fun in voting deals down. After they have gone to play school, adult HUKDers give the true value of deals. That said, many reviews on here are beginning to take on the appearance of the Amazon sort.
Predikuesi18/02/2020 19:52

It is very obvious though that some find fun in voting deals down. After …It is very obvious though that some find fun in voting deals down. After they have gone to play school, adult HUKDers give the true value of deals.

Thank you in confirming I am not suffering from paranoia
Willy_Wonka18/02/2020 19:54

Thank you in confirming I am not suffering from paranoia

You discovered what you are.
Could happen, I also think some people vote down certain people’s deals regardless of how good the deal is..
Bad intentions...
Bargainhead18/02/2020 20:23

Could happen, I also think some people vote down certain people’s deals r …Could happen, I also think some people vote down certain people’s deals regardless of how good the deal is..

Do you really think that happens? I wouldn't go that far. I never look at the username when voting on a deal. Price & availability is all that matters.
Bargainhead18/02/2020 20:23

Could happen, I also think some people vote down certain people’s deals r …Could happen, I also think some people vote down certain people’s deals regardless of how good the deal is..

Some do, yep. We do spot it though and if they cannot justify it or listen to our advice they tend to have their vote blocked.
As to answer your question @Willy_Wonka I can honestly say i've not seen such a pattern. We look at voting quite a lot and as I said above if we believe members are voting unfairly we'll let them know and if no changes we'll restrict their voting ability.
Jason18/02/2020 20:49

As to answer your question @Willy_Wonka I can honestly say i've not seen …As to answer your question @Willy_Wonka I can honestly say i've not seen such a pattern. We look at voting quite a lot and as I said above if we believe members are voting unfairly we'll let them know and if no changes we'll restrict their voting ability.

Hi Jason. I have only posted a few deals but I have seen that mostly they get voted down first before stabilising later.
Willy_Wonka18/02/2020 20:54

Hi Jason. I have only posted a few deals but I have seen that mostly they …Hi Jason. I have only posted a few deals but I have seen that mostly they get voted down first before stabilising later.

I'll have a look

Do you really think that happens? I wouldn't go that far. I never look at …Do you really think that happens? I wouldn't go that far. I never look at the username when voting on a deal. Price & availability is all that matters.

I don't have paranoia, I don't think of negative or positive votes anymore when posting a deal, not since this bizarre voting:

hotukdeals.com/dea…732

Mine with SD adapter, from Picstop 13 Dec 2017, £14.79 with minus 46 cold

The other, same product minus the SD adapter, from Mymemory , 9 Dec 2017, £18.99 with plus 79 hot.

Over the years, I found Picstop is as good as Mymemory.

Some people are vindictive if you upset them in the forums. It’s good that admin have answered your question. Installs a bit of confidence..
Jason18/02/2020 20:46

Some do, yep. We do spot it though and if they cannot justify it or listen …Some do, yep. We do spot it though and if they cannot justify it or listen to our advice they tend to have their vote blocked.

That's exactly how I'd experienced, when seeing initial vote scores after posting my deals. The negatives did come in relatively strong.

When did this vote blocking policy apply in anger? In 2019?
Edited by: "splender" 18th Feb
Mistakes happen too, I have pressed the wrong one on occasion (should be a minute timer allowing us to change the vote, but only one swap)
Jason18/02/2020 20:49

As to answer your question @Willy_Wonka I can honestly say i've not seen …As to answer your question @Willy_Wonka I can honestly say i've not seen such a pattern. We look at voting quite a lot and as I said above if we believe members are voting unfairly we'll let them know and if no changes we'll restrict their voting ability.

How do you decide if someone if voting unfairly and what would trigger you to ask them about it?
I personally dont vote cold on any deal, if i dont think its a deal for me or anyone i dont vote, if it is then i vote hot
The reason i dont vote cold is that alot of posters put alot of effort into what they do and it can be a bit demoralising by getting cold votes or a cutting comment
Edited by: "Diamond_Studd" 19th Feb
I don't think I have ever voted negative other than the very few times when my fat finger did it.
Timmybuktoo18/02/2020 22:48

How do you decide if someone if voting unfairly and what would trigger you …How do you decide if someone if voting unfairly and what would trigger you to ask them about it?

If I suspect someone is voting unfairly this is usually what I see:

Massively high cold to hot ratio*
Cold voting only a specific member
Voting in quick succession

On that last point, if there is literally seconds between votes that tells me the member voting is not voting fairly. They have not considered the deal, the discussion and then been able to vote accordingly.

* High ratio of cold voting on its own is not a reason to block voting if the voting seems fair.

It might come as a surprise but we also look at hot votes. We do not want deals to be skewed because of excessive hot voting either. Deals should be where they are on site because of merit.

On your example above @splender I agree that sometimes it is difficult to justify.
Diamond_Studd19/02/2020 04:10

I personally dont vote cold on any deal, if i dont think its a deal for me …I personally dont vote cold on any deal, if i dont think its a deal for me or anyone i dont vote, if it is then i vote hotThe reason i dont vote cold is that alot of posters put alot of effort into what they do and it can be a bit demoralising by getting cold votes or a cutting comment

I think there are ways we can be constructive without putting members off but i agree it is difficult especially with digital communication.

At the end of the day poor deals do exist but we should be able to advise each other why it is a poor deal and what better alternatives we can find.

Yeah that absolutely does happen, I regularly see my posts go instantly cold before going warmer again etc. In fact, there’s been occasions where I’ve made a post containing several hundreds if not 1,000+ sale items only to go cold within a couple of seconds of posting. There’s absolutely no way anyone can make an informed decision about that level of sale content in 2 seconds.
Jason19/02/2020 18:12

I think there are ways we can be constructive without putting members off …I think there are ways we can be constructive without putting members off but i agree it is difficult especially with digital communication. At the end of the day poor deals do exist but we should be able to advise each other why it is a poor deal and what better alternatives we can find.

How about deals being posted a week before they exist? Or deals that only exist in one store? Your site has become a joke. Heat means nothing now - look at the comments. Can i post christmas deals now?
Timmybuktoo20/02/2020 01:07

How about deals being posted a week before they exist? Or deals that only …How about deals being posted a week before they exist? Or deals that only exist in one store? Your site has become a joke. Heat means nothing now - look at the comments. Can i post christmas deals now?

Which deals are you referring to? Drop in some links and i'll be happy to respond.

Until then i'll make the following points:

- if there is no confirmation of the deal or we've not seen sufficient proof then it gets moved to Discussions so it is not in Deals

- we have a local option for deals. So if they are found in a single store we will assign it to that location. If you aren't interested in local deals you can already filter those out. Select the Filter option (top right underneath the Submit button) and from here you can choose to hide local deals (or set your own location so you only see deals within reach of your location).

- if a deal is valid and available to order you can post Christmas deals now, yep.
splender18/02/2020 20:55

I don't have paranoia, I don't think of negative or positive votes anymore …I don't have paranoia, I don't think of negative or positive votes anymore when posting a deal, not since this bizarre voting:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sandisk-extreme-microsdhc-100mbs-a1-c10-v30-uhs-i-u3-32gb-1479-64gb-is-2799-picstop-2853732Mine with SD adapter, from Picstop 13 Dec 2017, £14.79 with minus 46 coldThe other, same product minus the SD adapter, from Mymemory , 9 Dec 2017, £18.99 with plus 79 hot.Over the years, I found Picstop is as good as Mymemory.

Can't think of a specific example of the top of my head but I've noticed this a few times myself, two similar deals for the the same product posted fairly close together where the slightly better of the two scores MUCH lower. There was one a few months ago where both deals were actually from the same retailer.
Jason20/02/2020 09:16

Which deals are you referring to? Drop in some links and i'll be happy to …Which deals are you referring to? Drop in some links and i'll be happy to respond.Until then i'll make the following points:- if there is no confirmation of the deal or we've not seen sufficient proof then it gets moved to Discussions so it is not in Deals- we have a local option for deals. So if they are found in a single store we will assign it to that location. If you aren't interested in local deals you can already filter those out. Select the Filter option (top right underneath the Submit button) and from here you can choose to hide local deals (or set your own location so you only see deals within reach of your location). - if a deal is valid and available to order you can post Christmas deals now, yep.

I know this post wasn't directed at me but the 'deal' below is one example:

hotukdeals.com/dea…169

The deal was posted before any of the participating sellers were confirmed and IIRC the temperature reached over 2000 degrees before they were. Until that point this should have been discussion only IMO.
Edited by: "spoo" 20th Feb
spoo20/02/2020 10:15

I know this post wasn't directed at me but the 'deal' below is one …I know this post wasn't directed at me but the 'deal' below is one example:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/20-off-top-brands-at-ebay-15th-21st-nov-3331169#thread-commentsThe deal was posted before any of the participating sellers were confirmed and IIRC the temperature reached over 2000 degrees before they were. Until that point this should have been discussion only IMO.

Don't worry about that...always happy to receive examples

Since that deal was posted we've changed our stance on Ebay codes. The main reason was because it was brought to our attention that quite a few sellers were increasing their prices prior to the code going live to negate the discount. So members were right in that there was nothing to vote on as no prices were confirmed.

So those Ebay codes shared on site before they are live will be posted in Discussions until the prices are known. I do think site wide ebay codes should be treated differently but that discussion can be had when it happens.
Jason20/02/2020 10:50

Don't worry about that...always happy to receive examples Since that …Don't worry about that...always happy to receive examples Since that deal was posted we've changed our stance on Ebay codes. The main reason was because it was brought to our attention that quite a few sellers were increasing their prices prior to the code going live to negate the discount. So members were right in that there was nothing to vote on as no prices were confirmed. So those Ebay codes shared on site before they are live will be posted in Discussions until the prices are known. I do think site wide ebay codes should be treated differently but that discussion can be had when it happens.

Thanks, that's good to know.

The main reason was because it was brought to our attention that quite a …The main reason was because it was brought to our attention that quite a few sellers were increasing their prices prior to the code going live to negate the discount.

The brings me back to the early days of Martin Lewis continuously flogging Groupon.

Don't worry about that...always happy to receive examples Since that …Don't worry about that...always happy to receive examples Since that deal was posted we've changed our stance on Ebay codes. The main reason was because it was brought to our attention that quite a few sellers were increasing their prices prior to the code going live to negate the discount. So members were right in that there was nothing to vote on as no prices were confirmed. So those Ebay codes shared on site before they are live will be posted in Discussions until the prices are known. I do think site wide ebay codes should be treated differently but that discussion can be had when it happens.

Good to know that something was done about a few sellers were increasing their prices prior to the code going live to negate the discount."
In that 20% eBay, I did buy from Tanya Batteries, a true 20% off.
Jason20/02/2020 09:16

Which deals are you referring to? Drop in some links and i'll be happy to …Which deals are you referring to? Drop in some links and i'll be happy to respond.Until then i'll make the following points:- if there is no confirmation of the deal or we've not seen sufficient proof then it gets moved to Discussions so it is not in Deals- we have a local option for deals. So if they are found in a single store we will assign it to that location. If you aren't interested in local deals you can already filter those out. Select the Filter option (top right underneath the Submit button) and from here you can choose to hide local deals (or set your own location so you only see deals within reach of your location). - if a deal is valid and available to order you can post Christmas deals now, yep.

hotukdeals.com/deals/astonish-mould-mildew-blaster-reduced-to-19p-instore-at-aldi-3407280

Even the OP on this hasn't actually seen this deal with his own eyes and was just sharing something he'd seen on facebook.

Plus its always the same members getting on the highlights page, regardless of how good the deal is.
Edited by: "Timmybuktoo" 22nd Feb
39962398-S8Qqu.jpgWhere is the filter button from here?
Timmybuktoo22/02/2020 12:08

hotukdeals.com/deals/astonish-mould-mildew-blaster-reduced-to-19p-instore-at-aldi-3407280Even the OP on this hasn't actually seen this deal with his own eyes and was just sharing something he'd seen on facebook.Plus its always the same members getting on the highlights page, regardless of how good the deal is.

If you're seeing the same members on the highlights page it's probably because they are regularly sharing lots of popular/good discounts on here.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, want to get on the highlights page; just look at the deals on here which have been voted up a lot and submit them if it has been 4 weeks since the offer was last shared or if there is a new discount code to reduce the price.

One guy at the moment seems to be clicking on people's profiles to see what they have shared so he can resubmit those same offers. Also, when not doing that he will be sharing the same offer from a different retailer. A prime candidate for the Pepper Expert Program.
Krypto_Pennyworth23/02/2020 09:17

If you're seeing the same members on the highlights page it's probably …If you're seeing the same members on the highlights page it's probably because they are regularly sharing lots of popular/good discounts on here.If you, or anyone else for that matter, want to get on the highlights page; just look at the deals on here which have been voted up a lot and submit them if it has been 4 weeks since the offer was last shared or if there is a new discount code to reduce the price.One guy at the moment seems to be clicking on people's profiles to see what they have shared so he can resubmit those same offers. Also, when not doing that he will be sharing the same offer from a different retailer. A prime candidate for the Pepper Expert Program.

I have submitted a previous deal which took about a week to get to 400 degrees. A beta pepper moderator or whatever they are, put up a worse comparable deal that made over 400 degrees in 20 minutes on the highlights page. It's completely biased.
Edited by: "Timmybuktoo" 23rd Feb
Timmybuktoo23/02/2020 17:16

I have submitted a previous deal which took about a week to get to 400 …I have submitted a previous deal which took about a week to get to 400 degrees. A beta pepper moderator or whatever they are, put up a worse comparable deal that made over 400 degrees in 20 minutes on the highlights page. It's completely biased.

Of course it is because they have thousands of followers and you don’t do as soon as they post it goes immediately hot. Like it or not it’s the poor way the site works.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants