Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

VOXI Payment Warning - is your bank stopping recurring payments?

Posted 29th Oct
I have had it confirmed on VOXI live chat (after reading a Tweet saying this) that the following banks have stopped supporting recurring payments that are not contracts (so may also apply to Now TV, Netflix, Spotify etc)

• Natwest
  • Nationwide
  • Monzo
  • Santander
  • Yorkshire Bank

To avoid failed payments, you will need to use a different card from a different bank or purchase a VOXI top up voucher. You can also use the payment methods listed above to add credit to your VOXI account on the VOXI website as this is a one off payment, not a recurring payment. I have been told this on VOXI live chat

This isn't the most welcome news but it is important to avoid failed payments and disconnection of VOXI service. Please understand that it is the banks above that have decided to stop supporting recurring payments and not VOXI

Thank you for reading and I hope this is helpful to those who use the said banks
Community Updates
Misc
11 Comments
What is the banks reasoning for this? Surely you can spend your money how you see fit? I can understand that it might be some for of fraud prevention or anti-gambling thing but if you tell them to continue what is the issue?
jayhutton1029/10/2019 19:33

What is the banks reasoning for this? Surely you can spend your money how …What is the banks reasoning for this? Surely you can spend your money how you see fit? I can understand that it might be some for of fraud prevention or anti-gambling thing but if you tell them to continue what is the issue?

I've no idea. I will be asking my bank this very question. I know that a lot of VOXI customers will be complaining when the bills fail and service stops. VOXI should be contacting customers with the payment methods listed in this post to warn them in my opinion, as they already know about this as I found out on live chat
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 29th Oct
I pay direct debit to Now TV on my credit card - no problem for months.
googley229/10/2019 20:12

I pay direct debit to Now TV on my credit card - no problem for months.

Apparently this is a new thing. This issue is due to occur on your next bill
jayhutton1029/10/2019 19:33

What is the banks reasoning for this? Surely you can spend your money how …What is the banks reasoning for this? Surely you can spend your money how you see fit? I can understand that it might be some for of fraud prevention or anti-gambling thing but if you tell them to continue what is the issue?

I can see why banks wouldn't like recurring card payments, it's the fact that third parties are holding your card details including the three digit security number on their systems. If just one of these companies were to have a data breach it would leave thousands of customers at risk of card fraud on a massive scale and it's the banks who'd end up footing the bill. If I ran a bank I wouldn't allow them.
WardyGTC29/10/2019 21:08

I can see why banks wouldn't like recurring card payments, it's the fact …I can see why banks wouldn't like recurring card payments, it's the fact that third parties are holding your card details including the three digit security number on their systems. If just one of these companies were to have a data breach it would leave thousands of customers at risk of card fraud on a massive scale and it's the banks who'd end up footing the bill. If I ran a bank I wouldn't allow them.

But companies you buy things from ask you to store card details for easier checkout? That's no more secure than this? I'd trust Netflix with my data more than bedwarehouse.co.uk (for example, I just made it up but bet its legit)
jayhutton1029/10/2019 21:38

But companies you buy things from ask you to store card details for easier …But companies you buy things from ask you to store card details for easier checkout? That's no more secure than this? I'd trust Netflix with my data more than bedwarehouse.co.uk (for example, I just made it up but bet its legit)

They don't store the 3 digit security code so it's not quite as bad, this is where PayPal becomes invaluable. You can store your payment method without divulging any usable information.
WardyGTC30/10/2019 00:31

They don't store the 3 digit security code so it's not quite as bad, this …They don't store the 3 digit security code so it's not quite as bad, this is where PayPal becomes invaluable. You can store your payment method without divulging any usable information.

Ah yeah good point, didn't think of security code. I always try and pay by PayPal wherever I can so I don't share card details with anyone other than PayPal.
Well if it’s not a contract and the bank stops paying at least there won’t be outstanding balances and fee’s. simple move banks or phone provider. I dare say all banks will follow suit, is there no way you can set a direct debit up with voxi..
andrewworrall129/10/2019 20:17

Apparently this is a new thing. This issue is due to occur on your next …Apparently this is a new thing. This issue is due to occur on your next bill

Any chance of a credible link to a press release / statement released by one of the mentioned banks? Thanks.
AndyRoyd30/10/2019 22:39

Any chance of a credible link to a press release / statement released by …Any chance of a credible link to a press release / statement released by one of the mentioned banks? Thanks.

I don't have a link, however I contacted my bank and have heard back that they have not stopped supporting the recurring payments. I have been told different things by VOXI and my bank. The bank said they can only stop such payments at the request of the customer or if they suspect fraudulent activity. I will now expire this post
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants