Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

VPN - IS IT WORTH GETTING FOR A TURKISH HOLIDAY HOME?

Posted 9th JanEdited by:"Dea332"
Hi
I am completely clueless with techo stuff and googling isn’t helping me to know if it is worth getting it or not, could anyone give me any advice, please?
Family have a holiday home in Turkey, on the lounge TV they use a UK firestick with IPTV on, have a netflix subscription and the internet but they really struggle with trying to watch anything from the UK on the TV as it buffers non stop. They wouldn’t use their tablet or phone to watch TV, the TV is a smart TV and they have it connected to the internet when they are there, they are pensioners and are even more clueless than me with anything technical so I would need to sort it here in the UK if possible and have everything written down what they would have to do when they get there(flirt)
They do have Turkish satellite TV but it is only English speaking channels they will watch on the TV as they can only speak the basics of Turkish.
They have the best internet that is available where the apartment is but they want to know if a VPN would stop the buffering and what would be the best option and how easy is it to set up?
Netflix is on a Turkish account but in English.
They stay there May-end of Oct.
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Last time I was out in October, the Vodafone 4G signal was great. I used a Voxi sim (who currently can't meter your Internet usage) and my IPTV, Netflix and Prime was all fine using my phone. Could tether the firestick to a phone. I think locally Vodafone is cheap also anyhow.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 9th Jan
Dannyrobbo09/01/2020 21:54

...they want to know if a VPN would stop the buffering

Unlikely. Buffering is typically due to inadequate connection speed, and a VPN will further reduce that speed.
AndyRoyd09/01/2020 22:21

Unlikely. Buffering is typically due to inadequate connection speed, and a …Unlikely. Buffering is typically due to inadequate connection speed, and a VPN will further reduce that speed.

Ahhhh, thanks, is there anything they could buy to take there to help with the buffering/speed or is it just something they will have to live with as they can’t get a better speed from the internet where they are?
Dannyrobbo09/01/2020 21:54

what speeds are they getting?

Dea332
32 m ago

Oh bugga, I am not sure , I should be able to find out, hopefully they will remember
Dea33209/01/2020 22:50

Ahhhh, thanks, is there anything they could buy to take there to help with …Ahhhh, thanks, is there anything they could buy to take there to help with the buffering/speed or is it just something they will have to live with as they can’t get a better speed from the internet where they are?

Usual alternative is to download and watch offline, assuming the bent or legit service permits download.
Can the satalite dish be pointed at a UK satellite?
The IPTV service could be rubbishes.
Get a ethernet adapter so the firestick is connected directly as opposed to WiFi. You loose speed over WiFi. A direct linked cable will give you a better stable connection
Dea33209/01/2020 22:52

Dea33232 m agoOh bugga, I am not sure , I should be able to …Dea33232 m agoOh bugga, I am not sure , I should be able to find out, hopefully they will remember

i mean it wouldn’t be unheard of for the ISP to throttle streaming and a vpn could solve that but it would be best to rule out a slow connection first
AndyRoyd09/01/2020 22:21

Unlikely. Buffering is typically due to inadequate connection speed, and a …Unlikely. Buffering is typically due to inadequate connection speed, and a VPN will further reduce that speed.

what did you quote there I didn’t say that.
Ethernet is a good suggestion, or at least make sure stick is in close proximity to the router. VPNs can usually slow connection speeds unless the ISP throttles (intentionally slows down) streaming.

You could attempt to change their WiFi channel to a different band to see if that improves speeds. I was having loads of disconnects so I changed mine and stability has really improved! Instructions on that depend on your family's ISP in Turkey though.
Is the IPTV paid for?
Edited by: "esar" 10th Jan
jamie1510/01/2020 08:17

Ethernet is a good suggestion, or at least make sure stick is in close …Ethernet is a good suggestion, or at least make sure stick is in close proximity to the router. VPNs can usually slow connection speeds unless the ISP throttles (intentionally slows down) streaming. You could attempt to change their WiFi channel to a different band to see if that improves speeds. I was having loads of disconnects so I changed mine and stability has really improved! Instructions on that depend on your family's ISP in Turkey though.

Thanks, I’m assuming ethernet means a cable directly from the router to the TV? I will explain to them about trying to change their wifi channel too and they will have to see if they can get someone to do it for them as I know they would not have a clue how to do it, LOL!
cecilmcroberts09/01/2020 21:43

Last time I was out in October, the Vodafone 4G signal was great. I used a …Last time I was out in October, the Vodafone 4G signal was great. I used a Voxi sim (who currently can't meter your Internet usage) and my IPTV, Netflix and Prime was all fine using my phone. Could tether the firestick to a phone. I think locally Vodafone is cheap also anyhow.

Thanks, they use Vodafone on their mobile but they want to watch everything on their TV and it can be hours of TV watching when the storms roll in or when the temps are too hot of a day so I figured it would cost them a fortune using a phone?
QuoteLikePermalinkEditDelete

Dea33210/01/2020 12:46

Thanks, I’m assuming ethernet means a cable directly from the router to t …Thanks, I’m assuming ethernet means a cable directly from the router to the TV? I will explain to them about trying to change their wifi channel too and they will have to see if they can get someone to do it for them as I know they would not have a clue how to do it, LOL!

I think Fire Stick connects to internet directly so you need an Ethernet cable to go to the Fire Stick. This means you also need a Fire Stick Ethernet adaptor.

Definitely best to get someone to do it for them, my parents wouldn't have a clue either It can make a massive difference though!
jamie1510/01/2020 12:54

I think Fire Stick connects to internet directly so you need an Ethernet …I think Fire Stick connects to internet directly so you need an Ethernet cable to go to the Fire Stick. This means you also need a Fire Stick Ethernet adaptor.Definitely best to get someone to do it for them, my parents wouldn't have a clue either It can make a massive difference though!

Thanks, LOL, would they need an ethernet to the firestick and the TV or just to the firestick?
Dea33210/01/2020 23:26

Thanks, LOL, would they need an ethernet to the firestick and the TV or …Thanks, LOL, would they need an ethernet to the firestick and the TV or just to the firestick?

Pretty sure Fire Stick wouldn't connect to internet via the TV? I'd imagine it would connect to internet separately and you just plug it into the TV HDMI port. If that's the case, then just need an Ethernet cable + adapter for the Fire Stick
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions