Groups

Vpn or smart dns proxy to watch nowtv netflix and Amazon prime in NZ

I want to stream when I go to NZ later this year. I have sent over a NowTV box. Ideally I want to set up a secondary wifi which will feed the nowtv box thinking it is in England but I don't want to change the modem to Uk as Motel guests connect to the wifi and will expect their location to be in NZ

7 Comments

"Secondary" wifi presumably will be configured to be sourced from an access point that is segregated from main motel network so will not affect other motel guests.

A lot of public/hotel internet connections are throttled to eliminate or reduce over-consumption by a single guest. You might be asking a lot to be able to stream tv over their connection, over wifi, and through a VPN tunnel.

When I went to NZ last Xmas I used a midi dongle and a Three 12Gb Data SIM card. There 3 at home service works in NZ as if you are in the UK. That will stop ant bandwidth issues. As for VPNs IPVanish worked we; for me there.

nougat

..I don't want to change the modem to Uk as Motel guests connect to the … ..I don't want to change the modem to Uk as Motel guests connect to the wifi and will expect their location to be in NZ

Second reading of question suggests different interpretation. Does the phrase "I don't want to change the modem to Uk" imply that you will have control over the system that supplies guest wifi, as if you are going to be part of the hotel management team? A suitable solution would be easier if this was the case.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Second reading of question suggests different interpretation. Does the … Second reading of question suggests different interpretation. Does the phrase "I don't want to change the modem to Uk" imply that you will have control over the system that supplies guest wifi, as if you are going to be part of the hotel management team? A suitable solution would be easier if this was the case.

Yes it is my brothers motel. I've been looking into vpns and proxy dns. I have an old HH5, HH4, netgear dg834 and a twowire. It has to be a whiter than white solution and cheap.

nougat

Yes it is my brothers motel. I've been looking into vpns and proxy dns. I … Yes it is my brothers motel. I've been looking into vpns and proxy dns. I have an old HH5, HH4, netgear dg834 and a twowire. It has to be a whiter than white solution and cheap.

From that list of kit I sense you have been a long-standing BT domestic and business customer... On the assumption that the hotel already has an internet/wifi distribution system in place, I would shy away from replacing the existing "modem" as you describe in OP. Equally, it would be reasonable to expect that the existing system will have available ethernet connections and the following suggestions assume this is the case. The simplest method to obtain your own private network would be to feed an access point / router (having integral VPN) from one of the existing modem/router's ethernet ports. You can then do whatever you want with your private network without impacting the guest network, other than nicking some of the available bandwidth. I'm not convinced any of the BT kit you mention is ideal for your application, so I will intially suggest you consider say an Asus device that typically are configurable out of the box for VPN and / or can be flashed with DD-WRT for additional VPN options. One current option may be the Asus RT-AC51U that is available at a very favourable £29.99 delivered from Amazon amazon.co.uk/ASU…DZE
    To over-simplify: feed the Asus WAN port with a cable from one of the ethernet ports on the hotel's existing modem / router, then configure the integral Asus VPN. You can effectively configure and test this kit before you hit NZ.
    Alternatively, if use of an item from your list of BT kit is essential, the TwoWire and DG834 are likely too aged assuming you want to use anything above 54Mbps wireless G, which implies the HH5 may be the most attractive of the bunch. I am not familiar with the HH5, but the spec sheet says it has a gigabit WAN port and I assume you can use that to acquire the internet from an ethernet port on the hotel's existing modem/router (similar to outlined for the Asus example). Basic config for this is outlined here: expertreviews.co.uk/net…isp I have a vague recollection that the HH5 will pulse an "annoying" light if it can't find an ADSL / VDSL signal, but I assume you won't be bothered by this. You then need to consider VPN, but I have seen posts that indicate HH5 doesn't like VPNs. You may need to research this - possibly requiring additional kit - hence suggestion of Asus for potential ease of an all-in-one solution... community.bt.com/t5/…868

I cant say im an expert on VPNs but Ive been using privateinternetaccess.com/ for 3 or 4 months now and am pretty impressed with the service. I have 150mb virgin and get full speed via the vpn which was not the case with a lot of other providers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has anyone bought fitted wardrobes from Sharps?12
      2. Can you machine wash wool suit trousers that state "dry clean only"?77
      3. Are smart parking limited legitimate11
      4. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz22

See more discussions