Groups

VPN Router

Hi

I am looking at buying a router and installing custom fw on it to install openvpn.

I have read up and the netgear r7000 and the ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900

Does anyone know what router would be best and give the quickest speed for VPN. I have 76mb broadband and am wondering whether I will be able to get that speed (or close to it) when using these.

Is there any other router or device that would allow me to get full speed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 Comments

Asus always the best in my opinion

Your broadband speed has nothing to do with it, the speed depends on what Vpn you choose, I have a Vpn and went through all their servers until I found one that gave me a good speed.

Original Poster

peter7769

Your broadband speed has nothing to do with it, the speed depends on what … Your broadband speed has nothing to do with it, the speed depends on what Vpn you choose, I have a Vpn and went through all their servers until I found one that gave me a good speed.

I have read that the hardware you use can have an effect on the speed you can get through the VPN. Is tht not the case?

danandrews80

I have read that the hardware you use can have an effect on the speed you … I have read that the hardware you use can have an effect on the speed you can get through the VPN. Is tht not the case?

Yes the hardware you have can impact on speed but there are other factors out of your control. Some days I connect to VPN servers in a particular country and the speed is fine and some days it's not. Also depends on the load on the VPN server at the time if not what route on the internet was taken to establish the VPN tunnel to the server.
    Edited by: "devilsadv0cate" 5th May

I use a gl net mini router for £20 off amazon plugged in to my main router.

It has openvpn support out of the box.
    Just upload your vpn config file and you are done.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers24
      2. love affairs12
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie21
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767197

See more discussions