VPN Router

Found 4th Dec 2017
I'm looking to set up a VPN router. This is to run along with my primary router and run a wired connection to my smart TV. This will should enable my IPTV to run without the risk of a block.

I have read guides on how to do it but I am very much a novice at this type of thing. Can anyone recommend a DD-WRT enabled router to buy and if it is easy to set up.

Also what VPN are guys running ?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments
Cant help you I'm afraid but i have been looking at iptv recently and just wondering what service you use.
Original Poster
I'll PM you
I'm not sure which router to recommend other than to get a powerful one, I used a GL INET router and it works well but maximum VPN speed is around 8mb which isn't really quick enough. I get faster speeds using app on my android box.
I think you need something with this sort of spec if you want decent speeds. hotukdeals.com/dea…844

Have a read of post 4 where I link an article about cpu size and speed.

I have been trying to justify the spend but have not done so yet!

I see this one is now £160 ish - if you did want it keep watching the price as I think it was down to £129 a few weeks ago.

I use PIA (Private Internet Access) on a laptop and android boxes - get decent speeds and happy with the service.
Original Poster
thanks for the advice guys. It really seems a bit of a mine field. Appears easy enough to set up, just the worry about getting speed totally throttled and it becomes unuseable.
grantyboy27 m ago

thanks for the advice guys. It really seems a bit of a mine field. Appears …thanks for the advice guys. It really seems a bit of a mine field. Appears easy enough to set up, just the worry about getting speed totally throttled and it becomes unuseable.

With a decent router I'd expect you to get 30-40mbps with PIA - I get that on my laptop at all times of the day. I think that will only be a problem if you have a few heavy users (gamers, downloaders) in the house.
I will be buying an Asus router with Merlin eventually - reason being as you can setup some devices to go through the VPN and some not on the same firmaware so I can have my IPTV devices on the VPN but everything else will be as normal and the whole family will be unaware.
Original Poster
I intend to do the same but by hard wiring the VPN router to my smart TV.
Arsenal123415th Dec

I will be buying an Asus router with Merlin eventually - reason being as …I will be buying an Asus router with Merlin eventually - reason being as you can setup some devices to go through the VPN and some not on the same firmaware so I can have my IPTV devices on the VPN but everything else will be as normal and the whole family will be unaware.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions