Expired

VW 1.9 TDi 2009 seeping oil from head gasket

Found 2nd Nov 2013
As above, just bought this car, only 4 years old with 40k on the clock, is this normal or acceptable?

15 Comments

are you sure it's the head gasket? and not the EGR valve leaking. Get a second opinion.

Are you sure it's not the cam cover gasket or camshaft oil seal? Post piccie if you can.

Neither normal nor acceptable. Just bought a 2007 VW TDi with 60k on the clock and nothing leaks. If you got it from a dealer then take it back and insist they sort it out. I've just had to take ours back to VW in Derby and threaten them with legal action (after being given the run-around by them for over a month) if they didn't sort some issues out with ours (nothing to do with the mechanics, thankfully) and they sorted it out in two days flat.

If you buy from a dealer then you should have some type of warranty, and the Sales of Goods Act covers you for six months on a used car. Basically, if you need to take this further then the onus is on the garage/dealership to prove the problem wasn't there upon purchase….and that's very hard to do. Just had to look into all of this myself and found some very useful legal info online regarding the sale of used cars.

Edited by: "roof30" 2nd Nov 2013

Original Poster

The Therapist

Are you sure it's not the cam cover gasket or camshaft oil seal? Post … Are you sure it's not the cam cover gasket or camshaft oil seal? Post piccie if you can.

Pretty sure, it's dark so the pics aren't the best.... This was after I cleaned the oil from the area, I have re checked it and the oil has started seeping out again.

http://i.imgur.com/N1OQivc.jpg
Edited by: "aircanman" 2nd Nov 2013

Original Poster

Bump

Can't see much from the picture but I'd imagine if oil is seeping from the head gasket, it would be burning oil for this to happen. It is most probably leaking from somewhere else. It would be unusual with such a low mileage engine.

Banned

rocker box cover / oil pressure switch ?
Edited by: "Musician" 3rd Nov 2013

Original Poster

Musician

rocker box cover / oil pressure switch ?

The rocker cover is right at the top of the engine and this is half way down.

Banned

aircanman

The rocker cover is right at the top of the engine and this is half way … The rocker cover is right at the top of the engine and this is half way down.

Just a thought,oil leaks tend to run all over the place.I had a leak on my golf, one garage said I would need a headgasket repair at 600 quid, another changed the pressure switch, still a leak, turned out to be the cover, got it fixed for nothing in the end, happy days.
Edited by: "Musician" 3rd Nov 2013

Original Poster

Yer it looks like its coming from all around the head gasket

The Therapist

Can't see much from the picture but I'd imagine if oil is seeping from … Can't see much from the picture but I'd imagine if oil is seeping from the head gasket, it would be burning oil for this to happen. It is most probably leaking from somewhere else. It would be unusual with such a low mileage engine.

It would depend if the gasket is blown between the oil channels and cylinder or not.

Original Poster

markvirgo

It would depend if the gasket is blown between the oil channels and … It would depend if the gasket is blown between the oil channels and cylinder or not.

I have compared this with an engine exactly the same, my gasket looks almost new so I think there have been some repairs previously done that I do not currently know about, going back to the dealer tomorrow.

It'll be you're valve cover gasket, Unlikely to be a blown headgasket. Unless it's water, They've probably not torqued the bolts up enough.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 3rd Nov 2013

Original Poster

shauneco

It'll be you're valve cover gasket, Unlikely to be a blown headgasket. … It'll be you're valve cover gasket, Unlikely to be a blown headgasket. Unless it's water, They've probably not torqued the bolts up enough.

By valve cover do you mean rocker cover? - if so, it is definitely not that, the whole engine has been cleaned and the oil source is the cylinder head gasket, it could be something else but it is black and oil like.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions