Groups

vw golf 1.9tdi misfire

Been to two separate garages with separate issues and both have mentioned a misfire, and both have said it's a costly repair. Is this quick to do and does anyone know how much roughly this would cost to fix? The car cost me 1k so just contemplating whether it would be worth repairing the car or getting rid

14 Comments

If you've been to 2 garages and they've inspected the car would it not be worth asking them both for a quote? Just an idea..

1.9tdi is a good engine ... Unless it's something major or the engine is knocking or oil and water is mixing , get a quote and get it fixed ; possibly injector or even a leak in the air intake could cause this --- inpossible to say with limited information

Will need a diagnosis of the cause of the issue to be able to estimate costs.

Depends on the year of the Golf and if its a PD engine. I used to work on many of them and if its a PD engine ,8 out of 10 cars was caused by the wire loom in the engine. It is a £30 dealer part and easy to fit (for a DIYer) or about 30 mins labour at a garage. In VW's wisdom they put a electrical loom in the top of the engine to control the injectors, which over time with the heat and oil breaks down and wont give a decent connection anymore.

[img]cdn1.bigcommerce.com/ser…jpg?c=2[/img]

Banned

stoneblade

Depends on the year of the Golf and if its a PD engine. I used to work … Depends on the year of the Golf and if its a PD engine. I used to work on many of them and if its a PD engine ,8 out of 10 cars was caused by the wire loom in the engine. It is a £30 dealer part and easy to fit (for a DIYer) or about 30 mins labour at a garage. In VW's wisdom they put a electrical loom in the top of the engine to control the injectors, which over time with the heat and oil breaks down and wont give a decent connection anymore.[img]http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3600/f4487/products/307/images/2326/1.4_pd_injector_loom_2__62752.1360605032.400.300.jpg?c=2[/img]

​i had a Audi and the engine made a noise after 5-6 weeks. i still think what it was .
    noise was from engine but turbo and pipe was ok. only lasted a few hours then back to normal for the next pattern. only noticed it this year.
    2 mechanic never new what it was

Sounds like injectors. When was it last serviced? Has the belt been done?

I'd say have a check to see if the spark plugs are loose they may just need tightening. Could be injectors need a clean or ignition coils may need replacing. Surprised the garages didn't scan it to find the exact fault.

sofiasar

​i had a Audi and the engine made a noise after 5-6 weeks. i still think w … ​i had a Audi and the engine made a noise after 5-6 weeks. i still think what it was . noise was from engine but turbo and pipe was ok. only lasted a few hours then back to normal for the next pattern. only noticed it this year.2 mechanic never new what it was

​Then you sold it to someone so no longer your problem

jonesy172

I'd say have a check to see if the spark plugs are loose they may just … I'd say have a check to see if the spark plugs are loose they may just need tightening. Could be injectors need a clean or ignition coils may need replacing. Surprised the garages didn't scan it to find the exact fault.

Lol, Spark plugs on a diesel ;).

Lots of things can cause misfires.

Glow plug/s>Injector>Wire loom to injector or glow plugs.

There are other things that cause like misfire symptoms and rough running like, EGR valve and catalysts etc..

If they've run diagnostics they'll probably have a good idea what is wrong.

have you tried changing where you get your diesel from ? I had a suspected misfire problem but it turned out to the contaminated fuel from a Tesco garage

gonna cost a lot, probably about £1000.01p.

what was the separate issues don't u notice the misfire ur self if not I wouldn't worry too much about it unless u are noticing it ur self and it's causing issues put some of the cleaner in to clean the injectors abit see if that makes it any better it may just need a service if that's not been done.

Banned

Gollywood

​Then you sold it to someone so no longer your problem

​i know

stoneblade

Depends on the year of the Golf and if its a PD engine. I used to work … Depends on the year of the Golf and if its a PD engine. I used to work on many of them and if its a PD engine ,8 out of 10 cars was caused by the wire loom in the engine. It is a £30 dealer part and easy to fit (for a DIYer) or about 30 mins labour at a garage. In VW's wisdom they put a electrical loom in the top of the engine to control the injectors, which over time with the heat and oil breaks down and wont give a decent connection anymore.[img]http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3600/f4487/products/307/images/2326/1.4_pd_injector_loom_2__62752.1360605032.400.300.jpg?c=2[/img]

This man talks sense listen to him, injectors rarely fail but the looms do, other issues are crankshaft sensors which cost about £30, I would personally go on EBay and get a ten quid VAGCOM lead and if you can get a laptop plug it in and into the car, I think on the Golf the OBD is under the drivers side by the throttle pedal, start VAGCOM and select engine and then fault codes with the ignition on, it will throw codes if there is a fault, save yourself money and diagnose it yourself.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)63486
      2. Cat Chat77741
      3. word association Game74044561
      4. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1313

See more discussions