VW GOLF 7.5 1.5 TSI. DSG OR MANUAL?

Posted 3rd Mar
Hi guys, looking to get one of these on lease. S it worth getting a DSG, for an engine of that size? Fear it may be laggy etc. Always driven manual. Only a 10 quid difference between the manual and DSG. It’s the 130bhp

Any input is most welcome
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
Wouldn’t you rather wait for the MK8
Definitely go for the DSG gearbox, its amazing a real joy to drive and amazing quick gear-changes.
Im never buying a CVT Auto or Manual again, DSG all the way!
Getting a good deal on the mk7 my lease deal finishes April 20th currently got an a4 1.4 Petrol. Hence why,
Sandy101203/03/2020 16:47

Definitely go for the DSG gearbox, its amazing a real joy to drive and …Definitely go for the DSG gearbox, its amazing a real joy to drive and amazing quick gear-changes.Im never buying a CVT Auto or Manual again, DSG all the way!

Even if it’s a 130 TSI EVO will I still enjoy the DSG? at least with the manual I can shift a bit quicker even if it’s just a 130 break horse
ayy_zed03/03/2020 16:49

Even if it’s a 130 TSI EVO will I still enjoy the DSG? at least with the m …Even if it’s a 130 TSI EVO will I still enjoy the DSG? at least with the manual I can shift a bit quicker even if it’s just a 130 break horse

The DSG will be slightly faster + you wont be able shift quicker than the DSG twin clutch, its virtually instant.
I really recommend you try before you make you decision to see for yourself
Fair play thanks for that, I think I’ll definitely test drive it to get a real feel for it
Test drive both. As everyone is different.
I have dsg in the skoda superb, its great. Certainly if you're doing city/commute driving I wouldn't have another manual. Its not as good as the no-shift EV which is our other car, but modern autos are worlds ahead of the terrible stuff that was around when I started driving.
No personal experience of the DSG myself, but have heard very good things about it in line with comments here.

One other thing you may want to investigate is if you need to get the DSG gearbox serviced during your lease period and what the cost of that would be.

You may wish to factor this cost into your decision making process as well.
I've got a mark 7 with DSG . Came in very handy when I broke my left ankle I can tell you. I can shift quicker in a manual from a standing start, but that only really bothers me when I need to leave my road and get into the main road and across two lanes of traffic pronto.
'Is it worth getting a DSG, for an engine of that size?'

It's a 1.5, that's a fairly large petrol engine in todays world. Mrs has a 1.6 astra with 197hp and mum has a 1.6 Peugeot rcz with 270hp.

Definitely go for the DSG gearbox, its amazing a real joy to drive and …Definitely go for the DSG gearbox, its amazing a real joy to drive and amazing quick gear-changes.Im never buying a CVT Auto or Manual again, DSG all the way!

Old DSG had a worldwide recall, except UK. They put the wrong oil and the mechantronic would fail. VW refuse to repair.
One day you will drive at 70mph on a motorway and the car will go to limp mode.
In Australia the government forced a recall to repair an accumulator that will crack, lose pressure and limp mode.

UK, VW go to not care. I just had to repair my wife's VW.
VW are an poor company and take no responsibility. VW would charge close to £2k for a repair.

I hope they get hammered in the dieselgate UK scandal.

DSG is effectively a dual clutch manual gearbox with software changing gears automatically quicker and more efficiently than a human. You can use a DSG as a manual if you wish and change gears yourself without having to press a clutch with a foot.
How backward is a foot clutch system!
Edited by: "Common.Sense" 3rd Mar
Considering I’ll have the car for 2 years and I drive a manual anyway and always have done. I think I’ll go manual. Especially with potential servicing costs for the DSG gearbox seems like less hassle going for a manual. What are people’s thoughts on the car in general? 1.5 match edition looks pretty sporty!

Same
ayy_zed03/03/2020 18:29

Considering I’ll have the car for 2 years and I drive a manual anyway and a …Considering I’ll have the car for 2 years and I drive a manual anyway and always have done. I think I’ll go manual. Especially with potential servicing costs for the DSG gearbox seems like less hassle going for a manual. What are people’s thoughts on the car in general? 1.5 match edition looks pretty sporty!

Doesn’t sound sporty
JumpMan198003/03/2020 18:35

Doesn’t sound sporty

It isn’t at all, looks fairly decent though considering it’s not a GTD or the R-line
ayy_zed03/03/2020 18:35

It isn’t at all, looks fairly decent though considering it’s not a GTD or t …It isn’t at all, looks fairly decent though considering it’s not a GTD or the R-line

mines a gtd with the dsg and when you get it on an open road and stick it in sport mode it's such good fun. It is also very fast which is why I tend not to do this.
DSG gets thumbs up from us too.
I’ve got a dsg on my mk7 r and my mk6 polo dsg gti+, wouldn’t go back to manual as the dsg is too good especially for town commutes and even on the motorway. Why cause extra wear on your left knee to use the clutch every few seconds in traffic?
Edited by: "Manny50" 3rd Mar
Manny5003/03/2020 19:05

I’ve got a dsg on my mk7 r and my mk6 polo gti+, wouldn’t go back to man …I’ve got a dsg on my mk7 r and my mk6 polo gti+, wouldn’t go back to manual as the dsg is too good especially for town commutes and even on the motorway. Why use your left knee to press the clutch every few seconds in traffic?

I use my left foot to touch the clutch if that’s how you used to drive manuals it’s definitely best you stick to dsg!
Have you driven with a DSG?
_Whatever_03/03/2020 19:18

I use my left foot to touch the clutch if that’s how you used to drive …I use my left foot to touch the clutch if that’s how you used to drive manuals it’s definitely best you stick to dsg!

That’s really good! I’ve got manual cars too but obviously starts making your knee ache in traffic
Manny5003/03/2020 19:21

That’s really good! I’ve got manual cars too but obviously starts making yo …That’s really good! I’ve got manual cars too but obviously starts making your knee ache in traffic

I know what you mean. I like both to be fair. Currently have a manual GTD but previously have had a dsg gearbox.
_Whatever_03/03/2020 19:23

I know what you mean. I like both to be fair. Currently have a manual GTD …I know what you mean. I like both to be fair. Currently have a manual GTD but previously have had a dsg gearbox.

Yes of course, manuals can be fun but then again depends on daily commutes. I drive in traffic and know how annoying it is using the clutch. The dsg gearbox is amazing but then takes away drivers involvement.
Manny5003/03/2020 19:26

Yes of course, manuals can be fun but then again depends on daily …Yes of course, manuals can be fun but then again depends on daily commutes. I drive in traffic and know how annoying it is using the clutch. The dsg gearbox is amazing but then takes away drivers involvement.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about them both
_Whatever_03/03/2020 19:27

Pretty much exactly how I feel about them both

Then again I think I’d miss the launches in the dsg boxes could not shift fast enough in a manual haha!
Manny5003/03/2020 19:28

Then again I think I’d miss the launches in the dsg boxes could not shift f …Then again I think I’d miss the launches in the dsg boxes could not shift fast enough in a manual haha!

100% agree haha. Impossible to launch like that in a manual! I’m always way behind lol
Also launching in a front wheel drive car as light as polo gti+ found myself spinning in the first 3 gears haha
Manny5003/03/2020 19:32

Also launching in a front wheel drive car as light as polo gti+ found …Also launching in a front wheel drive car as light as polo gti+ found myself spinning in the first 3 gears haha

Brilliant haha. Yeah that must be a little different to the R
_Whatever_03/03/2020 19:36

Brilliant haha. Yeah that must be a little different to the R

Absolutely golf r stage 1 is running just over 370bhp with the pilot sport 4s’s find myself reaching speeds very quickly compared to my polo gti which will be spinning haha!
I’m on the lookout for a decent lease deal. Out of interest or for comparison purposes what sort of deal are you being offered?
I have a 7.5 GTD DSG (had a 7 GTD manual prior), much prefer the manual. A lot smoother when coming to roundabouts and generally pulling away too. Much more control with a manual.
ayy_zed03/03/2020 18:35

Damnnnn this is confusing me even more mixed response

I’m same, love my dsg, i can pull out and get to traffic speed in no time
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants