VW Polo - Automatic or Manual?

Hi,
was just after a bit of advice.
am looking for a new car - nothing fancy, i need it to be smallish - in size and engine. So was looking at an X reg VW polo - found one in Automatic and another in manual. I quite like the idea of automatic.. but ive heard autos use more petrol / are more expensive to fix?..
any opinions welcome

thanks

9 Comments

Banned

ive heard autos use more petrol / are more expensive to fix?

correct but not much in it

drive both for half an hour and then make your own mind up.

if I was doing mainly town / city driving then I would opt for an auto else manual

i have a vw polo, 1.4, manual, wikid car! love it. gear changing is very smooth

Original Poster

i love the car, but the clutch on the autos really high - im sure i'd prob get used to it.. but pushing me toward the auto. i think im just lazy. 2 pedals sounds good..

AUTO all the way.

VW use the DSG gearbox in their automatics, and it is pretty much amazing. Very quick smooth gear changes as it has 2 clutches and while 1 clutch is engaged the other clutch pre selects one gear above and below allowing for it to change quickly and smoothly.

I have a DSG, but it also has paddles on the steering wheel to you can go up and down gears and LOVE that but i dont think the normal Polo's have the option of paddle shift, only the Polo GTi.

However the DSG is also semi - automatic aswell, as you can actually use the "stick" that you select the mode of the car, where the gearknob wud be, to go up and down gears by moving it up or down, without the hassel of the clutch.

Ruscoe21

AUTO all the way.VW use the DSG gearbox in their automatics, and it is … AUTO all the way.VW use the DSG gearbox in their automatics, and it is pretty much amazing. Very quick smooth gear changes as it has 2 clutches and while 1 clutch is engaged the other clutch pre selects one gear above and below allowing for it to change quickly and smoothly.

Polos only got a DSG option in 2009 so an X reg will be a 4 speed torque convertor automatic.
The 1.4 autos were prone to having shift problems so best go for a 1.6

Original Poster

not sure on a 1.6 it shifts the insurance / tax up a fair bit..
prone to shift problems.. as in it will have a problem... the one im looking at is on 33000 miles

Best do your research on common problems to look out for eg honest john, parkers etc
honestjohn.co.uk/car…00/

Ruscoe21

AUTO all the way.VW use the DSG gearbox in their automatics, and it is … AUTO all the way.VW use the DSG gearbox in their automatics, and it is pretty much amazing. Very quick smooth gear changes as it has 2 clutches and while 1 clutch is engaged the other clutch pre selects one gear above and below allowing for it to change quickly and smoothly. I have a DSG, but it also has paddles on the steering wheel to you can go up and down gears and LOVE that but i dont think the normal Polo's have the option of paddle shift, only the Polo GTi. However the DSG is also semi - automatic aswell, as you can actually use the "stick" that you select the mode of the car, where the gearknob wud be, to go up and down gears by moving it up or down, without the hassel of the clutch.

Mine's DSG too, and I agree it's great but as said, it won't be on an X reg.

New Autos/DSG are fantastic. X-Reg,,,I'd get manual.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763979
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087
    4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941301

See more discussions