vw polo wobbly handbrake lever.

Found 31st Mar 2017
so my 66 plate 1.2 TSI polo with 2700 miles on the clock has developed a wobbly handbrake lever in the fully down position. feels fine in the up position.

It's booked in at vw next week but until then any ideas what the fault is and is it safe to park?
Community Updates
AskPolo ShirtVW
6 Comments
just leave it parked in gear...many do this out of habit anyway..I know I do...
Original Poster
Uridium

just leave it parked in gear...many do this out of habit anyway..I know I … just leave it parked in gear...many do this out of habit anyway..I know I do...

​Yeah I'm doing that anyway. But it's so loose I'm worried it's gonna drop off. besides it's a newish car. Should be able to trust the handbrake!
Probably a couple of lose nuts. Most handbrake consoles just pull off over the handbrake. If you can do this then look at the nuts holding the handbrake in place, If lose simply tighten. The handbrake cable though is a different story and as you are asking the above question,probably best leave it to a garage though relatively easy to sort out yourself.
Original Poster
rhinopaul

Probably a couple of lose nuts. Most handbrake consoles just pull off … Probably a couple of lose nuts. Most handbrake consoles just pull off over the handbrake. If you can do this then look at the nuts holding the handbrake in place, If lose simply tighten. The handbrake cable though is a different story and as you are asking the above question,probably best leave it to a garage though relatively easy to sort out yourself.

​Thanks. I'm not going to touch anything as it's under warranty so why bother? I did look at the nuts in the fully up position that bolt on to the chassis and they look fine.

I'm also suffering from squeaky brakes too. Don't know if this is related.. Disks all round with it been the TSI version.
lukeyinyork

​Thanks. I'm not going to touch anything as it's under warranty so why b … ​Thanks. I'm not going to touch anything as it's under warranty so why bother? I did look at the nuts in the fully up position that bolt on to the chassis and they look fine. I'm also suffering from squeaky brakes too. Don't know if this is related.. Disks all round with it been the TSI version.

Sorry didnt see the mileage before, yeah let the garage sort it all out.
Uridium

just leave it parked in gear...many do this out of habit anyway..I know I … just leave it parked in gear...many do this out of habit anyway..I know I do...

This ^ and it will go nowhere even if the handbrake fails
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions