VW Sharan electric windows not working

Found 6th May 2016
The electric windows on my 55 plate VW Sharan won't operate from the the drivers side. The passenger window can be operated from its own side but not from drivers side.
Could this be a defunct button unit on the drivers side or a blown fuse? Anyone had a similar experience?
Thank you

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskElectronicsVWWindows
9 Comments
Why not possibly eliminate the blown fuse theory by checking the fuses......... for a blown fuse.
Sounds like the button is at fault. Would be more so if the driver window button still works.
Ellie Phant

Why not possibly eliminate the blown fuse theory by checking the … Why not possibly eliminate the blown fuse theory by checking the fuses......... for a blown fuse.

Not been working on cars for years although I am a qualified mechanic so I could be wrong but I'm guessing it can't be a fuse as it would be the same fuse for all window electrics and as the passenger side works it would rule this out.

Most likely to be a faulty switch or cable (could have disconnected from continuous vibration of shutting the door or possibly shorted from fraying as the cables travel from the door through to front near hinge).

Could also be the motor - just did a quick search on google and 1st link
vwaudiforum.co.uk/for…lem

I have a 1998 Sharan TDI that I have had for apx two years, when I bought … I have a 1998 Sharan TDI that I have had for apx two years, when I bought the car the passengers side electric window didn’t work. So one afternoon I removed the door panel and checked for anything obvious then gave the motor a few taps while pressing the window switch downward. The motor leapt into action and lowered the window, all looked well so I greased up anything that required some lubrication and ensured there wasn’t any obstructions.The following day the window didn’t go down so a month later I again removed the panel and performed the tap test while pressing the window switch downward…not so much luck this time. I tried pushing the window down while pressing the button and tapping the motor, adjusting the runners very slightly, wiggling the wires to no avail.

Edited by: "philphil61" 6th May 2016
Won't be fuse if other windows are working.

It will be one of 3 things.

1. Wire breakage, Disconnected from switch/motor. Check wires between the drivers door for breakages, They often snap in that location because continuous open/closing etc..

http://s14.postimg.org/5paqft75d/CIMG0350.jpg

2. Switch.

3. Motor blown.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 6th May 2016
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your time and replies. Reading through it does unlikely that it's the fuse so I'm going to have a tinker with the switch/wiring/motor and see how I get on.

Once again thank you for your help
Father in law had this same problem on his Seat Alhambra. It turned out there was a wire handing on by a thread where they go from the door into the wing. I soldered this and taped it up and everything worked fine til he got rid a year later. May be worth checking.
Like in the pic shauneco posted that I only just noticed lol
It's common problem on most cars but does seem a little more problematic on Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy etc.. I've had to repair a few wires on them in the past, Ones between tailgate and body are common too.!.
Banned
philphil61

Not been working on cars for years although I am a qualified mechanic so … Not been working on cars for years although I am a qualified mechanic so I could be wrong but I'm guessing it can't be a fuse as it would be the same fuse for all window electrics and as the passenger side works it would rule this out.Most likely to be a faulty switch or cable (could have disconnected from continuous vibration of shutting the door or possibly shorted from fraying as the cables travel from the door through to front near hinge).Could also be the motor

^^^^^^^^
Precisely this
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 6th May 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions