VW Tiguan or Skoda Karoq

Found 6th Jul
My Friend's planning to buy a new SUV, Any suggestion please whether to go for VW Tiguan (1.4 Petrol) or Skoda Karoq (1.5 Petrol) , almost similar specs , both from the same family and rated 9/10 in almost all reviews. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Depends on price really. The 1.5 engine in the Karoq is a more modern engine than the 1.4 in the Tiguan.

Unless the Tiguan works out to be less expensive, and as long as the specs are the same, personally i'd go for the Karoq.
Thanks . Its almost the same price, £200 less for Tiguan for almost similar spec/trim
cutthroat_jake27 m ago

Help …Help here.........https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/skoda-karoq-vs-vw-tiguan-which-is-bestBut your friend should also consider the Mazda CX-5.....http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/100110/mazda-cx-5-vs-skoda-kodiaq-vs-vw-tiguan

Thanks very much for the links. Much appreciated.

The annoying thing I found is that the comparison contradicts to each other between sites. so tbh, not sure whom to believe .

I am mainly worried about the potential problems that can develop after 2 or 3 years. From a reliability perspective, Skoda is a much better offering as I understood, but keen to hear from other VW users as well. Thanks.
Both cars are quite similar and share much of the same tech, so there isn't really a lot in it either way. What one person prefers, someone else may prefer the opposite. Both are good cars so I doubt either would disappoint hugely.

Also the SEAT Ateca is very similar to the Karoq, except it comes with the 1.4 from the Tiguan rather than the 1.5 engine from the Karoq (for now at least).
I would have thought the VW would have hold its price slightly better.
Tiguan , just based on it being one of best looking small suvs
Whichever your friend prefers. There is loads of choice for high riding cars, so it's definitely worth looking at everyone's offerings in the flesh. Reviews are useful for highlighting points you might not think of, but I'd completely ignore anything subjective. On a purchase of this magnitude I certainly wouldn't rule out a car on the basis of a journalist you don't know spending an hour with it.

You'd have to be very unlucky to see anything but minor problems in any new cars for most of their first decade. They do happen like BMW's timing chains or Toyota's Airbag issues but it's awfully difficult to predict who'll be hit next.

For reliability I would prioritise the quality of the local dealer over brand, so that if a problem does crop up it'll be sorted without hassle.

Personally I'd have said VW and Skoda are at rather a low point right now. Their designs have no life in them, too many things that should be standard cost extra and the quality isn't anything special. It's a shame, as ten years ago Skoda especially looked like they were on an upwards trajectory.

Don't rule out the smaller brands. It's well worth looking at Subaru, Mazda, Infiniti, Suzuki and so on, the quality is no lower just because they're less popular in the UK. Even the likes of the Ssangyong Tivoli XLV is a perfectly decent car with a five year warranty (A 1.6 petrol has been added since that review was published).

If they've had a good look and settled on those two then I'd go for whichever they prefer, or whichever has the better local dealer, they're so similar.

Myself, I'd make a beeline towards the Renault garage. The new Grand Scenic would be first on my list to look at...
34266219-d5H7d.jpg
Karoq for comparison, doesn't it look like a years old design already?
34266219-IN4lJ.jpg
Would he consider a kia sportage or kia sorrento. Not sure how the price compares, but you get a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and kia are top or next to top on the J D Power survey, skoda were also very high . VW did not do very well. Go online to check JD power survey, 2016 and 2017.
EndlessWaves18 h, 50 m ago

Whichever your friend prefers. There is loads of choice for high riding …Whichever your friend prefers. There is loads of choice for high riding cars, so it's definitely worth looking at everyone's offerings in the flesh. Reviews are useful for highlighting points you might not think of, but I'd completely ignore anything subjective. On a purchase of this magnitude I certainly wouldn't rule out a car on the basis of a journalist you don't know spending an hour with it. You'd have to be very unlucky to see anything but minor problems in any new cars for most of their first decade. They do happen like BMW's timing chains or Toyota's Airbag issues but it's awfully difficult to predict who'll be hit next. For reliability I would prioritise the quality of the local dealer over brand, so that if a problem does crop up it'll be sorted without hassle. Personally I'd have said VW and Skoda are at rather a low point right now. Their designs have no life in them, too many things that should be standard cost extra and the quality isn't anything special. It's a shame, as ten years ago Skoda especially looked like they were on an upwards trajectory.Don't rule out the smaller brands. It's well worth looking at Subaru, Mazda, Infiniti, Suzuki and so on, the quality is no lower just because they're less popular in the UK. Even the likes of the Ssangyong Tivoli XLV is a perfectly decent car with a five year warranty (A 1.6 petrol has been added since that review was published). If they've had a good look and settled on those two then I'd go for whichever they prefer, or whichever has the better local dealer, they're so similar.Myself, I'd make a beeline towards the Renault garage. The new Grand Scenic would be first on my list to look at...[Image] Karoq for comparison, doesn't it look like a years old design already?[Image]

Thanks for the effort.
cornishscouse16 h, 29 m ago

Would he consider a kia sportage or kia sorrento. Not sure how the price …Would he consider a kia sportage or kia sorrento. Not sure how the price compares, but you get a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and kia are top or next to top on the J D Power survey, skoda were also very high . VW did not do very well. Go online to check JD power survey, 2016 and 2017.

I think he has less affinity to Korean brands even though they offer the best warranty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants