Waitrose Messing Around with Their Free Hot Drink Offer Again and Blaming it on Paper Cups >:(

Found 10th AprEdited by:"MSK."
I've got a massive grump on. I've been using one of their smelly plastic cups since January off my own back. I even posted a deal for the bloody things:

hotukdeals.com/dea…648

Now they are not letting me have coffee from the cafe anymore with it.

I always pay for an upgrade because I don't drink coffee without syrup. If I understand correctly though my haze of grumpiness, they are repaying my using my own cup and paying 80p for my free coffee I now get no discount at all.

It's not like they even usually put any coffee in it, it's been like tepid milk foam with sugar in it a lot of the time.

First you take my truly free drink.

Then you take my Pick Your Own Offers.

Then you take my moderately subsidised coffee.

All you need to do it stop selling moderately decent cheese and I will never go back.

Here at Waitrose, we believe in doing everything we can to protect our environment and that includes reducing the amount of plastic and packaging we use.

We have already pledged not to sell any own-label food in black plastic beyond 2019, the earliest date set by any supermarket. We have also committed to make all own-label packaging widely recyclable, reusable or home compostable by 2025.

And now we are taking another important step forward.

We’re taking action on takeaway coffee cups

By autumn this year, we will have removed takeaway coffee cups from all our stores.

It’s not a decision we have taken lightly. Our packaging team has spent a year trying to source cups that can be easily recycled. But we believe, after looking at all the alternatives and listening to the views of customers, that we need to act now.

We are still delighted to offer you a free hot drink whenever you shop with us. We just need your help. Once takeaway cups are removed from your store, we’d like you to bring in your own reusable cup.

It’s worth the effort. This simple change alone will remove 52 million takeaway cups from the environment.

We’ll be in touch again soon to let you know when the change will happen in your local store. But please do feel free to use your own reusable cup before then.

We’re improving our cafés

We also wanted to let you know about exciting changes we’re making to improve your experience in our cafés.

We know how important a break can be when you’re shopping, so we’ve given our Partners barista training and will be introducing an even higher-quality coffee made from 100% triple certified Arabica beans.

It does mean that from Wednesday 23rd May, we are no longer able to serve myWaitrose free hot drinks from the café. But you’ll still be able to enjoy these from our self-serve tea and coffee machines when you shop with us.

We’re also planning an exciting new promotion on food in cafés when you buy a hot drink. It will be our way of saying thank you. The promotion will be exclusive to myWaitrose members and we’ll be in touch very soon with all the details.
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
Take a large bucket instead. That'll teach them. This is one of my pet gripes. They charge you a good 20p extra for a large tea in most shops. Do you get two tea bags? No! You just get a bit of extra water. Extortion.
psychobitchfromhell1 m ago

Take a large bucket instead. That'll teach them. This is one of my pet …Take a large bucket instead. That'll teach them. This is one of my pet gripes. They charge you a good 20p extra for a large tea in most shops. Do you get two tea bags? No! You just get a bit of extra water. Extortion.

I hope everyone does this. Then has to fill the cup twice with the machine, so it overflows all the time.

Man this has made me sandy.
We had a thread on this the other day
seems to have been spammed

along with the plastic bottles thread

I mean wtf ?
The supermarkets can charge what they like you pays your money....

don't drink coffee and after years and years of being given that sort of thing as a present
have only just started using them in the garden for tea.
It might just be me but I can't stand the taste of hot drinks out of disposable cups. Has to be tea from a mug. After years of camping I have learned to tolerate tea from an insulated travel mug but that is all. It just isn't right somehow. This does limit you to Ikea if you want a free cuppa when you are shopping though and they are no good for groceries. There are only so many meatballs and lingonberry jam you can eat
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

It might just be me but I can't stand the taste of hot drinks out of …It might just be me but I can't stand the taste of hot drinks out of disposable cups. Has to be tea from a mug. After years of camping I have learned to tolerate tea from an insulated travel mug but that is all. It just isn't right somehow. This does limit you to Ikea if you want a free cuppa when you are shopping though and they are no good for groceries. There are only so many meatballs and lingonberry jam you can eat

It is slightly better if you make it in the cup then pour in to the flask.
Wongy1104 m ago

It is slightly better if you make it in the cup then pour in to the flask.

My husband was obsessed with flasks. He had hundreds. I took them all to his memorial service after he died so people could take one to remember him by.
Duuno if you have a booths near you but they do free hot drinks and have an excellent cheese selection.
psychobitchfromhell24 m ago

It might just be me but I can't stand the taste of hot drinks out of …It might just be me but I can't stand the taste of hot drinks out of disposable cups. Has to be tea from a mug. After years of camping I have learned to tolerate tea from an insulated travel mug but that is all. It just isn't right somehow. This does limit you to Ikea if you want a free cuppa when you are shopping though and they are no good for groceries. There are only so many meatballs and lingonberry jam you can eat

Tea from a plastic cup is definitely an acquired taste.

psychobitchfromhell15 m ago

My husband was obsessed with flasks. He had hundreds. I took them all to …My husband was obsessed with flasks. He had hundreds. I took them all to his memorial service after he died so people could take one to remember him by.

Thanks kinda lovely, really sweet.
MSK.3 m ago

Tea from a plastic cup is definitely an acquired taste.Thanks kinda …Tea from a plastic cup is definitely an acquired taste.Thanks kinda lovely, really sweet.

I only kept one. His students bought it and had it engraved for him. Couldn't part with that one but there are only so many flasks a girl can use.
deleted1431257
I guess they’re gonna stop customers from freeloading off the coffee without bothering to shop in stores...

Edit - still happens in John Lewis.
Edited by: "deleted1431257" 11th Apr
They already did, didn't they? I have to buy a 35p banana to get my 'free' drink.
deeky41 m ago

They already did, didn't they? I have to buy a 35p banana to get my 'free' …They already did, didn't they? I have to buy a 35p banana to get my 'free' drink.

Yes, that's right. You can't get a drink without buying something, so it wasn't free just subsidised.
"Here at Waitrose, we believe in doing everything we can to protect our environment"

If that were the case then they wouldn't have waited until 2018 to start making more environmentally friendly policies.
Sorry for my ignorance @MSK. , I don't have a Waitrose near enough to me to shop their, so haven't been able to take advantage of the offer before, but the following suggests that you can still use your cup?

"We are still delighted to offer you a free hot drink whenever you shop with us. We just need your help. Once takeaway cups are removed from your store, we’d like you to bring in your own reusable cup."

Edit:

Whoops.

Perhaps I should have read to the bottom of the OP before commenting...

Sigh.
Edited by: "RossD89" 11th Apr
RossD892 h, 50 m ago

"Here at Waitrose, we believe in doing everything we can to protect our …"Here at Waitrose, we believe in doing everything we can to protect our environment"If that were the case then they wouldn't have waited until 2018 to start making more environmentally friendly policies.

At least something is being done about it at long last
got an email about a petition for getting crisp packets recyclable
you.38degrees.org.uk/pet…18_

remember that being an issue thirty years ago
Edited by: "Wongy110" 11th Apr
RossD895 h, 58 m ago

Sorry for my ignorance @MSK. , I don't have a Waitrose near enough to me …Sorry for my ignorance @MSK. , I don't have a Waitrose near enough to me to shop their, so haven't been able to take advantage of the offer before, but the following suggests that you can still use your cup?"We are still delighted to offer you a free hot drink whenever you shop with us. We just need your help. Once takeaway cups are removed from your store, we’d like you to bring in your own reusable cup."Edit:Whoops.Perhaps I should have read to the bottom of the OP before commenting...Sigh.

I'm just bored of them changing the rules. They started off giving all these perks, then they keep making the progressively worse and trying to spin it as a benefits. I think that's the bit that irks me even more than them being taken away.

And it seems like the more shop with them, the greater contempt they treat you with.
"Large" Teas grind my gears - even at work they do this - I pay for a monthly sub for three drinks a day but I cant have a large tea....

what?!?!?!

Firstly they did away with paper cups - I could understand the policy before that - larger paper cup costs more maybe - but they moved to china mugs and have large and small but I can only have small....

ITS ONE TEA BAG!

Its a squirt of extra water....

Annoying...

Waitrose are bonkers with all their changes... its like they were at head office -

"we need a deal that gets people coming in everyday - make waitrose a destination." Overpaid Head office goon 1

"Free hot drink on loyalty card" - Overpaid Head office goon 2

"But what if people just claim a drink and don't buy anything?" Overpaid Head office goon 3

"Its ok - enough people over the whole country will buy stuff they wouldn't otherwise - we can take a hit off some freeloaders" Overpaid Head office goon 2

Fast forward a few months.....

"Stores are reporting some cheeky people are popping in JUST for the drink!" Overpaid Head office goon 1

"But our sales on the whole and store traffic is up loads" Overpaid Head office goon 2

"Lets muck with it anyway" Overpaid Head office goon 3

Rinse and repeat until whole thing is broken....

The Overpaid Head office goon 2 - the only one with any common sense or good ideas has since moved on or been sacked....
joanddan730 m ago

"Large" Teas grind my gears - even at work they do this - I pay for a …"Large" Teas grind my gears - even at work they do this - I pay for a monthly sub for three drinks a day but I cant have a large tea....what?!?!?!Firstly they did away with paper cups - I could understand the policy before that - larger paper cup costs more maybe - but they moved to china mugs and have large and small but I can only have small.... ITS ONE TEA BAG!Its a squirt of extra water....Annoying...Waitrose are bonkers with all their changes... its like they were at head office - "we need a deal that gets people coming in everyday - make waitrose a destination." Overpaid Head office goon 1"Free hot drink on loyalty card" - Overpaid Head office goon 2"But what if people just claim a drink and don't buy anything?" Overpaid Head office goon 3"Its ok - enough people over the whole country will buy stuff they wouldn't otherwise - we can take a hit off some freeloaders" Overpaid Head office goon 2Fast forward a few months....."Stores are reporting some cheeky people are popping in JUST for the drink!" Overpaid Head office goon 1"But our sales on the whole and store traffic is up loads" Overpaid Head office goon 2"Lets muck with it anyway" Overpaid Head office goon 3Rinse and repeat until whole thing is broken....The Overpaid Head office goon 2 - the only one with any common sense or good ideas has since moved on or been sacked....

Yes!!! Eactly this!
I once ordered a tea to go in Costa and the member of staff got the size wrong, I wanted medium she served a large. She tipped the tea into the right sized cup and threw the used cup and the rest of the tea away. Things like that make me so mad
Edited by: "OllieSt" 11th Apr
Suggest that they use degradable, clay cups - like they do in India. Then they'd have to employ someone to make new cups each day.
Your sugar sachet will now incur a charge too unless you bring your own!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions