Wall fixing for kitchen cupboards

Posted 15th Mar
I have some kitchen wall cupboards to fit on a plasterboard wall, my question is should I use plasterboard fixings or use a wooden battern behind the plasterboard, what would give the strongest fixing?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
I am no expert but could you attach two horizontal batons onto the plasterboard batons. The new batons at the right height would allow you to attach the cupboards to them without worrying about what you were agreeing into. It will obviously push the cupboards out by the thickness of the baton which may or may not be an issue.
40110371-JXppX.jpg
Or something like this, attached to the vertical stud wall batons
Ply sheets
slippers197715/03/2020 14:46

[Image] Or something like this, attached to the vertical stud wall batons

I believe it has a horizontal wooden battern all the way along the wall, so was just thinking about screwing the brackets to it?
Depends what type of plasterboard and what it behind it. Some plasterboard on internal walls is 9.5mm thick and consists of two pieces of plasterboards in a cardboard sandwich or honeycomb structure - think it was called paramount partition board. Then there is plasterboard nailed onto battens. If you can go into battens but this isn't always possible. If your plasterboard is on an external wall like brick or breeze block get fixings that will go through the plasterboard and into the wall behind with appropriate plugs. I always use Fischer or Rawlplug fixings. Alternatively something like these but you will need to ensure there is sufficient cavity behind the plasterboard and I think each fixing is good for like 18kg so you'd be using 4 for each cupboard if standard brackets. There are a variety of different sizes and lengths. I used these on my kitchen cupboards which are full of tins and heavy items and they haven't moved in 10 years.
screwfix.com/p/r…410
Make sure you use these with the setting tool which is the only proper way to fix these
screwfix.com/p/r…99g
pluves115/03/2020 15:02

Depends what type of plasterboard and what it behind it. Some plasterboard …Depends what type of plasterboard and what it behind it. Some plasterboard on internal walls is 9.5mm thick and consists of two pieces of plasterboards in a cardboard sandwich or honeycomb structure - think it was called paramount partition board. Then there is plasterboard nailed onto battens. If you can go into battens but this isn't always possible. If your plasterboard is on an external wall like brick or breeze block get fixings that will go through the plasterboard and into the wall behind with appropriate plugs. I always use Fischer or Rawlplug fixings. Alternatively something like these but you will need to ensure there is sufficient cavity behind the plasterboard and I think each fixing is good for like 18kg so you'd be using 4 for each cupboard if standard brackets. There are a variety of different sizes and lengths. I used these on my kitchen cupboards which are full of tins and heavy items and they haven't moved in 10 years.https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-hollow-wall-anchors-m6-x-52mm-20-pack/68410Make sure you use these with the setting tool which is the only proper way to fix thesehttps://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-heavy-duty-setting-tool/8499g

Yeah i used these hollow wall anchors for my kitchen units on that honeycomb type wall and without the tool they were a nightmare to fix with loads dropping down the wall.
Spring toggles are excellent too
Should be YouTube how to use video's out there
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants