Wall Socket Cutting Out

Found 9th Aug
Hi all,

I'm baffled by something and thought maybe some of you could help. In my office, I only have a double wall socket.

In one of the sockets, I have an 8 way extension lead, surge protected, which has connected to it -
- google home
- monitor
- laptop charger
- playstation
- lamp
- speakers

That's been no problem at all. However, in the other socket, I now have a 6 way surge protected lead with the following plugged in -
- monitor
- laptop charger
- tv
- printer

Often, if I unplug the 6 way and plug it back in, it trips the power? It doesn't happen all the time though, and most of the time all of the above runs with no issues, but I'm confused as to why when you unplug and plug the 6 way back in, it trips the power sometimes?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Literally could be because the socket being used has not been added to the circuit using a ring main so the level of power going through it when turning on the extension is too much for it so for safety sake, the fuse cuts out.
MRDAMO66611 m ago

Literally could be because the socket being used has not been added to the …Literally could be because the socket being used has not been added to the circuit using a ring main so the level of power going through it when turning on the extension is too much for it so for safety sake, the fuse cuts out.

Wouldn't that happen every time though and not say 1 out of 4 or 5 times?
faulty 6-way extension or wall socket
Some of your gizmos will initially take more current on start up. Every now and then the current may be just over the limit and trip the CB.
123thisisme7 m ago

Some of your gizmos will initially take more current on start up. Every …Some of your gizmos will initially take more current on start up. Every now and then the current may be just over the limit and trip the CB.

this is quite likely, if you add up all the power consumption of the things attached to the extension cable you can see how much current they will need at peek which is likely to be more than the ring main can supply. if its on a ring it will depend what else is on that ring (not just the two sockets usually) so see what else goes off when it trips as they will all play into the equation.

if the 6 way is a surge extension it should trip before your power, is it the ground protector thats tripping in your fuse box?
deviousrich15 m ago

this is quite likely, if you add up all the power consumption of the …this is quite likely, if you add up all the power consumption of the things attached to the extension cable you can see how much current they will need at peek which is likely to be more than the ring main can supply. if its on a ring it will depend what else is on that ring (not just the two sockets usually) so see what else goes off when it trips as they will all play into the equation.if the 6 way is a surge extension it should trip before your power, is it the ground protector thats tripping in your fuse box?

I have no idea what's tripping the fuse box. I also tried a different extension lead and it did the same.
superfreddy11 m ago

I have no idea what's tripping the fuse box. I also tried a different …I have no idea what's tripping the fuse box. I also tried a different extension lead and it did the same.

sorry what i meant is in the fuse box there are likely (depending on what type of box/consumer unit you have) a MCB (fuse switch, kills power to that ring/ set of sockets) and a RCD (kills all power to the house). if its the RCD thats tripping out then likely one of your gadgets plugged in is going faulty and leaking current to ground / not earthed properly in which case i would guess the laptop charger.

im not an electrician so dont take anything i say as gospel, just trying to help!
It won't be power overload - you have nothing of any significance power wise on either of the extension leads.

It is likely to be a minor earth leakage fault on one of the appliances on the 6 way lead. How to find out is to unplug all the appliances on it and then plug each one in at a time and try to repeat the fault by plugging in/out the extension lead. Hopefully it will trip again and when it does you have identified the appliance with the fault.
I'd sniff the area 1st for any strange smells. Check for any burning of the socket and extension.
your stuff plugged in "asks to draw alot of surplus power" (when added) from the socket so when the electricity is allocated, it's too much for the lower rated devices (a "pre-surge") and tripping the fuse (which is good so all of your stuff doesn't get frazzled....).

if i have a lamp plugged in, and start up 1kw power tools / etc in the same socket the lamp will blow from surges (same prinicpal) - you have "safer circuitry" - hence the tripping "device protection".

(stuff goes on behind the scenes / each device has it's own set of resistors and power management components etc).
Edited by: "Ban_Anas" 9th Aug
Poorly designed surge protection or suppression can tend to trip RCCD protection, as leakage through the live to earth components adds up toward the residual current - if the box has a master RCCD breaker, then it would trip that rather than the individual circuit breaker.
can you tell me why my house "sucks" (as above) matth please ? do i have no rccd protection ? (victorian terrace).

thankyou for any help
Edited by: "Ban_Anas" 9th Aug
Ban_Anas4 h, 6 m ago

can you tell me why my house "sucks" (as above) matth please ? do i have …can you tell me why my house "sucks" (as above) matth please ? do i have no rccd protection ? (victorian terrace).thankyou for any help

theiet.org/for…258

I think it's rcd and rccb.

I've got one rcd for the house and mcb for various things like sockets, lights, cooker, hob, boiler, house alarm, door bell and fire detectors. No ARC suppressor though so pretty scary when something is arcing.

From what I can work out is that the bi metallic strip in the mcb can become sensitive as it ages and cause nustance trips.

As for the light bulb it's probably due to poor quality bulbs shorting out as the surge melts the element it causes a short and the mcb trips.

If in doubt switch off the lamp before using the drill or buy better bulbs that handle a higher current.
thankyou! i need to research the terminology.

yes; it was a very cheap LED that i was using to "see what i was doing" (angle grinder) - that will be why then / thankyou for the help and information.

...dangerous enough for me angle grinding let alone "messing about with electricity" - thankyou.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions