Wallace & Gromit pencil sketch, signed and dated by Nick Park - what is it worth?

Found 29th Mar 2012
I am just wondering if there is anyone "in the know" of what his piece is worth, considering the all the archives were destroyed in the great fire that happened at their studios / storage building several years back

I have sent photos off to Christies and Sotheby's, but no reply as yet

Serious comments please . . .(?????)

12 Comments

Original Poster

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Paul_Greenough/_DSC0133.jpg

About tree fiddy.

guess it depends how unique it is-some years back nick park attended the wallace and gromit exhibition at the glasgow and aberdeen science centres and signed a load of drawings and handed them out to attendees-this particular drawing could be a one off or common as chips tbh-value is all in the rarity I would guess

Seems as though they go for around £50 or upwards of 500 for one in colour. Yours is different to all the ones I've seen though. This is more of a drawing than a sketch...

Original Poster

barky

guess it depends how unique it is-some years back nick park attended the … guess it depends how unique it is-some years back nick park attended the wallace and gromit exhibition at the glasgow and aberdeen science centres and signed a load of drawings and handed them out to attendees-this particular drawing could be a one off or common as chips tbh-value is all in the rarity I would guess

I've had it since 1994, which is when it was signed, that fact it is a pencil and paper and not the "typical" inked stuff he now does, I think makes it rarer, I got it an Aardman Presentations in Edinburgh.

Looking at the "Christies" auctions for similar items, they were valued at £300-£600, but went for between £1600-£1800

phoenix72

I've had it since 1994, which is when it was signed, that fact it is a … I've had it since 1994, which is when it was signed, that fact it is a pencil and paper and not the "typical" inked stuff he now does, I think makes it rarer, I got it an Aardman Presentations in Edinburgh. Looking at the "Christies" auctions for similar items, they were valued at £300-£600, but went for between £1600-£1800

Like I said, I haven't seen anything like yours though. I get the feeling it might be reasonably rare and could fetch a decent amount - Wait for a reply from the auction houses though. I'd also email Aardman if I were you, both to sound out you have the piece, and secondly to invite them into bidding for your item potentially. Like you said, the fire changed a lot for them and they have been slowly getting back a lot of what was lost.

nice piece, give you £100 for it?

Original Poster

Disco

nice piece, give you £100 for it?

think I'll "kindly" decline

Original Poster

had an email back from "valuemystuff"

estimated value of £1000 - £1500

do you have any letters of authenticity or a photo with you and nick holding the item?
You mention it was at an event do you have any literature of the event - can you find any pictures of the event that may show the item ?
have you had the signature verified by a professional autograph authentication services?
a few of the basic questions i would ask when buying anything signed. i am not saying i dont trust u i dont trust many people.
good luck!

Original Poster

SOSAGES

do you have any letters of authenticity or a photo with you and nick … do you have any letters of authenticity or a photo with you and nick holding the item?You mention it was at an event do you have any literature of the event - can you find any pictures of the event that may show the item ?have you had the signature verified by a professional autograph authentication services?a few of the basic questions i would ask when buying anything signed. i am not saying i dont trust u i dont trust many people.good luck!

It was an advance screening / rough finish of "a close shave" which was a press screening type thing. There were pre prints, posters etc given out, I got this as I worked in the Cinema on the day, taking care of the press, so nothing of evidence as such

I will take the advice of "tomwatts" and contact Aardman to aid in verification, dates etc
Edited by: "phoenix72" 30th Mar 2012

srs qquestion: how do u verify this is authentic
Post a comment
@
    Text