wall(rawl plug size vs drill bit

Found 6th Jul 2015
Am mounting a tv wall bracket and instructions say use 10mm drill bit to a depth of 60mm but plugs supplied are marked 12/60 and checking drill bit against plug shows noticeable diff, and expert/exp. diyers?
Community Updates
AskDrill
14 Comments
"but plugs" hehehe..

In all seriousness, the plugs should be a tight fit and you should be able to push them in with your fingers.

Depth of the drilled hole should be slightly longer than the rawl plug.
These plugs sound fine. To be sure drill a test hole to make sure, simples.
Original Poster
adam_holcombe

"but plugs" hehehe.. In all seriousness, the plugs should be a tight fit … "but plugs" hehehe.. In all seriousness, the plugs should be a tight fit and you should be able to push them in with your fingers. Depth of the drilled hole should be slightly longer than the rawl plug.

smutty mind ya got there

Original Poster
dereklogan7

These plugs sound fine. To be sure drill a test hole to make sure, … These plugs sound fine. To be sure drill a test hole to make sure, simples.

yeah unfortunately they only supplied enough plugs to do the job(tightwads) so testing may be tricky
maddogb

smutty mind ya got there

yeah bit of a bum joke.
Original Poster
with the 10mm test hole the plugs didn't go in with fingers, can't really risk using a hammer not having any spares and town is a fair distance away, have bored it out to 12mm and it slides in easily....
Use some KY gel oO
maddogb

with the 10mm test hole the plugs didn't go in with fingers, can't really … with the 10mm test hole the plugs didn't go in with fingers, can't really risk using a hammer not having any spares and town is a fair distance away, have bored it out to 12mm and it slides in easily....

Just hope the TV doesn't slide out easily...
Original Poster
ipswich78

Just hope the TV doesn't slide out easily...

yeah that's the worry, especially as my eyesite is not trustworthy to gauge if the bolts are 10 or 12mm
maddogb

yeah that's the worry, especially as my eyesite is not trustworthy to … yeah that's the worry, especially as my eyesite is not trustworthy to gauge if the bolts are 10 or 12mm

Once the bracket is on you should be able to feel if it is attached correctly. It should be nice and sturdy.
Original Poster
well after using a magnifying glass the bolts appear to have an 8mm thread/13mm head so thinking i should maybe try and get some 10mm plugs....
no. you should get the same size as the screw
Original Poster
kingtreelo

no. you should get the same size as the screw

can't seem to find an 8mm one that has 60mm depth
maddogb

can't seem to find an 8mm one that has 60mm depth

i've just read what this is for

do yourself a favor and go and buy some bigger longer screws and plugs, i don't know what size TV you are planning on putting up but i wouldn't be putting up and sort of bracket with screws that small, never mind one for a TV

i ended up buying the biggest size bolts i could fit through my bracket, better safe than having a TV fall off the wall
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions