Found 13th May
Customer guidance from Microsoft for anybody else still running XP.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
15 Comments

Installed fine for me

Patched mine a few minutes ago. Very straightforward.

I wonder if this episode will see Microsoft continue to provide support for critical security flaws in its older operating systems? They bloody well should, IMHO. It can't be that much work if they're having to fix them in their newer OSes anyway, and it's not as if Microsoft are short of a bob or two. If not, I can only see further customer losses to Linux

Original Poster

3guesses

Patched mine a few minutes ago. Very straightforward.I wonder if this … Patched mine a few minutes ago. Very straightforward.I wonder if this episode will see Microsoft continue to provide support for critical security flaws in its older operating systems? They bloody well should, IMHO. It can't be that much work if they're having to fix them in their newer OSes anyway, and it's not as if Microsoft are short of a bob or two. If not, I can only see further customer losses to Linux

Microsoft already offer extended support for big users who still use XP. There are hacks available that'll allow you to get these updates.
The WannaCrypt fiasco seems to have caught out users who hadn't deployed the fix.
Edited by: "qbs" 14th May

Custom Support Agreements are available for this very purpose, but they can be very expensive. But then they would be, they need to continue to employ and dedicate staff to supporting older systems with no new revenue streams attached.

To be fair most of the time customers have years of notice a product is going end of life. Usually when something new is released the previous one goes into extended support, often for a further 5 years.

Good on Microsoft for releasing this one to all, but given the scale of the problem and the brand damage they would receive otherwise they'd be crazy not to. Hopefully this is a reminder to all that it is generally the older insecure technologies that are targeted here and gone are the days of sitting tight for years and years.

qbs

Microsoft already offer extended support for big users who still use XP. … Microsoft already offer extended support for big users who still use XP. There are hacks available that'll allow you to get these updates. The WannaCrypt fiasco seems to have caught out users who hadn't deployed the fix.

I thought they hadn't relased a patch for XP until recently (ie after it had become a major problem), whereas the patch for the newer OSes was released some time before?

mallen

Custom Support Agreements are available for this very purpose, but they … Custom Support Agreements are available for this very purpose, but they can be very expensive. But then they would be, they need to continue to employ and dedicate staff to supporting older systems with no new revenue streams attached.To be fair most of the time customers have years of notice a product is going end of life. Usually when something new is released the previous one goes into extended support, often for a further 5 years.Good on Microsoft for releasing this one to all, but given the scale of the problem and the brand damage they would receive otherwise they'd be crazy not to. Hopefully this is a reminder to all that it is generally the older insecure technologies that are targeted here and gone are the days of sitting tight for years and years.

The cost to back-integrate critical security patches would be minimal, IMHO. For a company of Microsoft's size, it wouldn't even be chump change. The decision not to do so is a very blatant attempt to coerce users to upgrade to newer versions of their software, with all the problems and costs that doing so would entail for the end users, just to enrich Microsoft further.

3guesses

I thought they hadn't relased a patch for XP until recently (ie after it … I thought they hadn't relased a patch for XP until recently (ie after it had become a major problem), whereas the patch for the newer OSes was released some time before?

March updates for Point Of Sale XP which you can hack a home version to look like a POS XP.

mallen

Custom Support Agreements are available for this very purpose, but they … Custom Support Agreements are available for this very purpose, but they can be very expensive. But then they would be, they need to continue to employ and dedicate staff to supporting older systems with no new revenue streams attached.To be fair most of the time customers have years of notice a product is going end of life. Usually when something new is released the previous one goes into extended support, often for a further 5 years.Good on Microsoft for releasing this one to all, but given the scale of the problem and the brand damage they would receive otherwise they'd be crazy not to. Hopefully this is a reminder to all that it is generally the older insecure technologies that are targeted here and gone are the days of sitting tight for years and years.

Insecurity of old systems can be mitigated to a large extent with more intelligent security software.
Hitman Pro alert exploit protection protected xp and other OSes from this ransomware without the patch being applied.

After all if an old OS works it is going to have less bugs overall compared to newer OSes.

I run both XP and win7 with extra security than just and AV

qbs

Microsoft already offer extended support for big users who still use XP. … Microsoft already offer extended support for big users who still use XP. There are hacks available that'll allow you to get these updates. The WannaCrypt fiasco seems to have caught out users who hadn't deployed the fix.

Yes and what is worse the NHS have paid millions for the extend xP support but didnt bother to implement the patches they paid for !
Heads should roll for it but the media has not picked up on this stupidity so nothing will happen.

trott3r

Yes and what is worse the NHS have paid millions for the extend xP … Yes and what is worse the NHS have paid millions for the extend xP support but didnt bother to implement the patches they paid for !Heads should roll for it but the media has not picked up on this stupidity so nothing will happen.

I always think that with the billions that the Government pumps into external software, they could hire a team to create a bespoke and secure OS that could work across all government departments.

haritori

I always think that with the billions that the Government pumps into … I always think that with the billions that the Government pumps into external software, they could hire a team to create a bespoke and secure OS that could work across all government departments.

Sadly governments of both colours have been incompetent with regards to IT.
In this country we are the second largest Goverment consumer of microsoft products after the USA.

In europe they leverage the threat of using Open source in government organisations to get a cheaper deal.
Sadly we are too stupid to do that here.

trott3r

March updates for Point Of Sale XP which you can hack a home version to … March updates for Point Of Sale XP which you can hack a home version to look like a POS XP.

OK, but it shouln't be necessary to do that - Microsoft should be obliged to continue providing critical security updates for their older OSes.

trott3r

Yes and what is worse the NHS have paid millions for the extend xP … Yes and what is worse the NHS have paid millions for the extend xP support but didnt bother to implement the patches they paid for !Heads should roll for it but the media has not picked up on this stupidity so nothing will happen.

I heard reference to this fact on TV yesterday, can't recall which programme.

haritori

I always think that with the billions that the Government pumps into … I always think that with the billions that the Government pumps into external software, they could hire a team to create a bespoke and secure OS that could work across all government departments.

Based on Linux? Or simpler still, just use Linux! I do think the days of a paid PC operating system are numbered, and recent events could help to accelerate that.

trott3r

Sadly governments of both colours have been incompetent with regards to … Sadly governments of both colours have been incompetent with regards to IT.

Several reasons for this, but one that stands out to me is that the House of Commons is stuffed full of lawyers, not people with actual hands-on, low-level, technical knowledg/experience.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3278
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769366
    3. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!1214
    4. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…47

See more discussions