Want a dumb TV!

Posted 21st Dec 2019
My main TV (Blaupunkt 50”), which I liked a lot died in an accident with a kiddie football

This means I need to buy a new TV. However, I can’t find a “normal” (a.k.a.) dumb TV in this size anymore.

Does anyone knows if someone still makes such TVs?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Why don't you just buy a smart TV and not use it functions.
35 Comments
Nearly all TVs are smart these days, have you tried eBay?
All new ones are smart so unless eBay or charity shops have one your stuck
Arto21/12/2019 21:00

Nearly all TVs are smart these days, have you tried eBay?

Just had a quick look on eBay and there are only a couple of option which are all refurbished and tbh it’s cheaper to get a smart tv
Why don't you just buy a smart TV and not use it functions.
Is a dumb TV without the smart features?
Check Facebook, sphock, gumtree.
Make your own dumb TV via a smart TV without a web connection.
I just don’t want any clutter on the screen, “suggestions” and all this junk. As to not connecting it, we have two huge TVs at work (used for meetings as big monitors) and Samsung simply refuses to operate if not connected to a network. The other one (LG methinks) isn’t connected and is constantly showing nagging messages “you’re missing out, try this or try that”. This is very annoying.
I haven’t seen any monitors in this size with remote control. I know there are special “presentation systems” but these require a mortgage.
Kommunist21/12/2019 21:37

I haven’t seen any monitors in this size with remote control. I know there …I haven’t seen any monitors in this size with remote control. I know there are special “presentation systems” but these require a mortgage.

I had this one but sold it a month ago, it’s got a really good picture has a remote and speakers built in

scan.co.uk/pro…wcB
Just checked on this iiyama screen. It’s actually a “smart” monitor running Android and can be controlled remotely via network. An interesting device and I think we could do with it in our office showing Jira progress. Thank you for that!
Still not quite what I want. However, I’ve found a couple of monitors in this size. Acer EB490QK looks good even if it doesn’t have a remote.
Kommunist21/12/2019 21:57

Just checked on this iiyama screen. It’s actually a “smart” monitor runni …Just checked on this iiyama screen. It’s actually a “smart” monitor running Android and can be controlled remotely via network. An interesting device and I think we could do with it in our office showing Jira progress. Thank you for that!Still not quite what I want. However, I’ve found a couple of monitors in this size. Acer EB490QK looks good even if it doesn’t have a remote.

The acer does come with a remote, I had one I used as a tv for about a year. It also has PIP so you can have 2 sources on the screen at one time
Arto21/12/2019 21:55

I had this one but sold it a month ago, it’s got a really good picture has …I had this one but sold it a month ago, it’s got a really good picture has a remote and speakers built inhttps://www.scan.co.uk/products/485-acer-eb490qk-4k-ips-monitor-3840x2160-4ms-100m1-300cd-m2-displayport-hdmi-vga-speakers?gclid=Cj0KCQiAovfvBRCRARIsADEmbRI4CP72qO_bXGSYZpOLNnCxsDYJ1vUD9F3StsNHWwU-O8hFKb2e5e4aAnJfEALw_wcB

It got a remote? Perfect! But they don’t list it anywhere in the spec?
Kommunist21/12/2019 21:59

It got a remote? Perfect! But they don’t list it anywhere in the spec?

Yes it does, I got mine from curry’s last year and it cost me £899 at the time and that was £300 off. It has really gone down in price now but the picture is great, the speakers are ok for a monitor but I recommend getting a soundbar if your watching tv on it
39462261-BcZkn.jpg
Perfect!! Thank you very much - looks like I know what to buy now
Kommunist21/12/2019 22:02

Here is a screenshot from amazon. It doesn’t say anywhere that it comes with a remote for some reason but I can promise you it does
39462284-4B51W.jpg
Kommunist21/12/2019 22:02

I cashed mine in last month due to getting a new tv and someone offered me £50 for it cash converters give me £400 cash
If you get it let me know and show me a pic when it comes
Sure. The only thing that is worrying me is that the user manual doesn’t list remote in “supplied accessories” section and there is no mentioning of it anywhere in the guide. Maybe they changed it since you bought it?
Kommunist21/12/2019 22:32

Sure. The only thing that is worrying me is that the user manual doesn’t l …Sure. The only thing that is worrying me is that the user manual doesn’t list remote in “supplied accessories” section and there is no mentioning of it anywhere in the guide. Maybe they changed it since you bought it?

When I bought it nothing was said on one but you do get one
Ordered from Amazon for £479.99 They don’t have it in stock right now but I can wait.
Thank you fir your help!
Kommunist21/12/2019 23:18

Ordered from Amazon for £479.99 They don’t have it in stock right now bu …Ordered from Amazon for £479.99 They don’t have it in stock right now but I can wait.Thank you fir your help!

Happy to help send me a picture when you have it set up
Very strange. You just set TV to selected input and don't connect to network or turn any options off so it doesn't nag you
MonkeysUncle22/12/2019 02:02

Very strange. You just set TV to selected input and don't connect to …Very strange. You just set TV to selected input and don't connect to network or turn any options off so it doesn't nag you

I’ve seen how well it “works” in our office, unfortunately. Which means I won’t buy any Smart TV.
try linsar tvs
Right... here's an update. Went to Costco today and my Mrs set an eye on Sharp LC-50UI7422K for 299 quid.
Knowning full well that Costco return policy is second to none and that Amazon didn't commit to any shipment date, I decided to take a plunge and bought it.

Here's a short review so far - the Sharp brand has nothing to do with Sharp of Japanese fame; this telly is made by same guys who make Alba, Bush, Tevion, Blaupunkt, Technika and a gazillion of supermarket brands. Even the old Blaupunkt remote worked perfectly well with this new Sharp, which is great as it doesn't have that dreadful Netflix button.
There are Freeview and Freesat tuners, which is nice to have but doesn't make any difference to me.
The networking features are as lousy as they can be (yes, I did try it) - DLNA is intermitted (loses connection every now and then), BBC works but quality is really awful. The app store (Aquos Net+) requires to accept agreement, which I did (it goes to great lelngths on how private data is collected and how it is going to be used for advertisement and sold to whatever 3rd party they can find. The collection of apps isn't interestting so I declined the agreement.
Picture quality is pretty good when connected to HDMI source (WDTV). As I don't have live TV channels, i don't know how it works. Integration with subwoofer is excellent as the sound delay can be tweaked nicely to eliminate echo.

The most important bit - the Smart features are actually very dumb and easily disabled. In an ideal world I would be able to delete BBC, Netflix, Aquos+ and Weather apps but these are only visible when Menu button is pressed. The input selection is done by different button (Source) so no issue here.

After I had a play with the "smart" features, the network cable has been removed from TV and so far I had no nagging screens. Will see how it goes. If I ever see a nagging screen or TV will start complaining about network, it'll go straight back to Costco. For now this telly would do.
Kommunist22/12/2019 17:26

Right... here's an update. Went to Costco today and my Mrs set an eye on …Right... here's an update. Went to Costco today and my Mrs set an eye on Sharp LC-50UI7422K for 299 quid.Knowning full well that Costco return policy is second to none and that Amazon didn't commit to any shipment date, I decided to take a plunge and bought it.Here's a short review so far - the Sharp brand has nothing to do with Sharp of Japanese fame; this telly is made by same guys who make Alba, Bush, Tevion, Blaupunkt, Technika and a gazillion of supermarket brands. Even the old Blaupunkt remote worked perfectly well with this new Sharp, which is great as it doesn't have that dreadful Netflix button.There are Freeview and Freesat tuners, which is nice to have but doesn't make any difference to me.The networking features are as lousy as they can be (yes, I did try it) - DLNA is intermitted (loses connection every now and then), BBC works but quality is really awful. The app store (Aquos Net+) requires to accept agreement, which I did (it goes to great lelngths on how private data is collected and how it is going to be used for advertisement and sold to whatever 3rd party they can find. The collection of apps isn't interestting so I declined the agreement.Picture quality is pretty good when connected to HDMI source (WDTV). As I don't have live TV channels, i don't know how it works. Integration with subwoofer is excellent as the sound delay can be tweaked nicely to eliminate echo.The most important bit - the Smart features are actually very dumb and easily disabled. In an ideal world I would be able to delete BBC, Netflix, Aquos+ and Weather apps but these are only visible when Menu button is pressed. The input selection is done by different button (Source) so no issue here.After I had a play with the "smart" features, the network cable has been removed from TV and so far I had no nagging screens. Will see how it goes. If I ever see a nagging screen or TV will start complaining about network, it'll go straight back to Costco. For now this telly would do.

So you cancelled your order for the acer monitor?
Unfortunately yes
Richer Sounds, they’re cheap there...picked up a 43 inch smart hd for £199
Kommunist22/12/2019 17:32

Unfortunately yes

In my opinion I know it costs more but the picture quality is much better on the acer but it’s your choice and tbh the one you chose wasn’t in stock
Shamhussainn22/12/2019 17:32

Richer Sounds, they’re cheap there...picked up a 43 inch smart hd for £199

He doesn’t want “SMART”
Arto22/12/2019 17:33

In my opinion I know it costs more but the picture quality is much better …In my opinion I know it costs more but the picture quality is much better on the acer but it’s your choice and tbh the one you chose wasn’t in stock

I agree. But Mrs decided she want a TV right here and right now so this looks like a lesser evil. Otherwise it definitely would be the Acer.
Kommunist22/12/2019 18:05

I agree. But Mrs decided she want a TV right here and right now so this …I agree. But Mrs decided she want a TV right here and right now so this looks like a lesser evil. Otherwise it definitely would be the Acer.

Never upset the missus unless you like the sofa
Yup
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions