Want to buy a fish tank , best least maintenance way?

Posted 26th Feb
looking to buy a fish tank. did purchase one with 2 goldfish.
than was told they are part of the carp family and as they grow will need to buy a tank the size of my garage.
so what's the best least maintenance way. don't want a huge tank.
what are the basic items I would need?
cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
They won't grow the size of your garage if they are in a small tank. You can even keep them in a bowl but I wouldn't myself. You need a filter/oxygenator of some sort to keep the water clean but not a lot less for cold water fish. Tropical and marine is where it starts getting expensive. You do need to do some maintenance such as cleaning and changing the water every now and then but it isn't arduous. I'll be doing that later today and it shouldn't take more than a quarter of an hour. It's a case of cleaning the algae off the sides of the tank and replacing some of the water with fresh. I collect rainwater for this.
It's koi carp that outgrow the tank, regular goldfish dont.
psychobitchfromhell26/02/2020 10:10

They won't grow the size of your garage if they are in a small tank. You …They won't grow the size of your garage if they are in a small tank. You can even keep them in a bowl but I wouldn't myself. You need a filter/oxygenator of some sort to keep the water clean but not a lot less for cold water fish. Tropical and marine is where it starts getting expensive. You do need to do some maintenance such as cleaning and changing the water every now and then but it isn't arduous. I'll be doing that later today and it shouldn't take more than a quarter of an hour. It's a case of cleaning the algae off the sides of the tank and replacing some of the water with fresh. I collect rainwater for this.

What fish would you recommend.
adamderak26/02/2020 10:30

What fish would you recommend.

Any of the goldfish are easy. Start with two of three small ones.
My partner has a 90l tank with 4 cold water fish. The water is constantly becoming cloudy after a week at most. We had a new filter last week expecting it to stay clean but it’s back cloudy. We emptied the tank completely cleaned all the gravel and everything before using the new filter. What could it be would anyone know. We’ve started to wonder if it’s the fish food we are using. It’s just a cheap £1 big tub from B&M. Any ideas ? Thanks x
parisp26/02/2020 11:15

My partner has a 90l tank with 4 cold water fish. The water is constantly …My partner has a 90l tank with 4 cold water fish. The water is constantly becoming cloudy after a week at most. We had a new filter last week expecting it to stay clean but it’s back cloudy. We emptied the tank completely cleaned all the gravel and everything before using the new filter. What could it be would anyone know. We’ve started to wonder if it’s the fish food we are using. It’s just a cheap £1 big tub from B&M. Any ideas ? Thanks x

That's kinda what happened to me. Had 2 goldfish. Them things could poop like a champion.
Was too much hard work and ended in selling it.
Depends if you want coldwater, freshwater or saltwater fish?
J4GG426/02/2020 11:56

Depends if you want coldwater, freshwater or saltwater fish?

Cold water

My partner has a 90l tank with 4 cold water fish. The water is constantly …My partner has a 90l tank with 4 cold water fish. The water is constantly becoming cloudy after a week at most. We had a new filter last week expecting it to stay clean but it’s back cloudy. We emptied the tank completely cleaned all the gravel and everything before using the new filter. What could it be would anyone know. We’ve started to wonder if it’s the fish food we are using. It’s just a cheap £1 big tub from B&M. Any ideas ? Thanks x

Most fish tanks go cloudy at some stage, it's due to a bacterial bloom.
By cleaning everything you have killed all the good bacteria.
When setting up a fish tank you need to add some bacteria ( you can buy bottles) and let it run for 3 - 4 weeks before slowly adding fish.
Just add 1 or 2 at a time ( you can add more if you have a large tank with large filters) as the filter needs to grow bacteria to keep up with the bio load.

Edit : You also need to add a dechlorinator every time you add new water.
Edited by: "Hilljones" 26th Feb
look at Temperate fish, like tropical but no need for a heater. Low maintenance just clean and change half the water once a week.

Might be feeding them too much. Only feed what they can eat within five minutes. Also true don't change all the water at once.
adamderak26/02/2020 11:17

That's kinda what happened to me. Had 2 goldfish. Them things could poop …That's kinda what happened to me. Had 2 goldfish. Them things could poop like a champion.Was too much hard work and ended in selling it.

if you think that is too much like hard work then fish aren't for you. You could try an under gravel filter
psychobitchfromhell26/02/2020 15:09

Might be feeding them too much. Only feed what they can eat within five …Might be feeding them too much. Only feed what they can eat within five minutes. Also true don't change all the water at once.

Thanks we weren’t changing all the water then now he’s decided every 2 weeks empty the whole tank because of the smell and it going cloudy. I do probably give them too much food you’re right I’ve googled that and the food is just sitting at the bottom probably not helping xx
Never ever change all the water in one go! You will end up with a tank where most of the beneficial bacteria taking part in the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate cycle get washed away. The key to a good tank is keep it in a shaded dark place out of sunlight, light it for 6 to 8 hours a day, feed very sparingly twice a day and do not overstock to begin with. Change either 10% of the water weekly or 25% fortnightly. Keep filter clean of large debris but only rinse in tank water you have taken out and not under the tap. If you stick to this all should be fine. Obviously it is easier to clean out a smaller tank and to do water changes but larger tanks look better and maintain their chemical balance better.
parisp26/02/2020 15:14

Thanks we weren’t changing all the water then now he’s decided every 2 wee …Thanks we weren’t changing all the water then now he’s decided every 2 weeks empty the whole tank because of the smell and it going cloudy. I do probably give them too much food you’re right I’ve googled that and the food is just sitting at the bottom probably not helping xx

That will be your problem. If you see food left, you're feeding them too much and that can make the water go cloudy.
You need something like this . Built in filtration, get some shrimp (they will eat all the uneaten fish food that drops to the bottom) and avoid real plants. You can get some really cheap ones, but they are cheap for a reason.
Don't get goldfish for a small tank. They naturally grow up to 35cm. Any goldfish you've seen in a small bowl are either young or have unhealthy (often painful) stunted growth. I'd say 100l minimum

Try Platy instead. They come in a variety of colours, are happy in unheated water, aren't aggressive (and are best if you buy multiple) and are easy to care for. They're fine in smaller tanks as they reach 5-7cm full grown. Only requirements is some areas of mediumly dense plants but they're as happy with plastic plants as real plants (real plants will help improve tank conditions in general though).

Most fish shops will sell you easy all-in-one tanks with lights filters and pumps (they won't sell you the tank and fish at the same time if they're an ethical seller).
abigsmurf26/02/2020 16:02

Don't get goldfish for a small tank. They naturally grow up to 35cm. Any …Don't get goldfish for a small tank. They naturally grow up to 35cm. Any goldfish you've seen in a small bowl are either young or have unhealthy (often painful) stunted growth. I'd say 100l minimumTry Platy instead. They come in a variety of colours, are happy in unheated water, aren't aggressive (and are best if you buy multiple) and are easy to care for. They're fine in smaller tanks as they reach 5-7cm full grown. Only requirements is some areas of mediumly dense plants but they're as happy with plastic plants as real plants (real plants will help improve tank conditions in general though).Most fish shops will sell you easy all-in-one tanks with lights filters and pumps (they won't sell you the tank and fish at the same time if they're an ethical seller).

That's really helpful. That's why I sold my goldfish
psychobitchfromhell26/02/2020 15:33

That will be your problem. If you see food left, you're feeding them too …That will be your problem. If you see food left, you're feeding them too much and that can make the water go cloudy.

Thanks so much xxx

Basically your actions have caused the problem, read up about the nitrogen cycle.
When you add a new filter it takes approximately 4 weeks for the correct amount of bacteria to grow that removes harmful chemicals from the water, the cloudy water is normal a few days after installing the new filter and will go away soon after.
You dont need any bottles of expensive bacteria etc.. ive done many tests over the years and many do nothing.
You shouldn't have any fish in there until its ready in 4 weeks unless you enjoy harming the fish.
Just fill the tank buy some pure ammonia with no other ingredients and a water test kit, add a few drops of ammonia twice per week or you can add a pinch of fish food instead to introduce the ammonia as it breaks down.
Test your water every few days and when you've seen ammonia levels disappear and nitrite levels rise and disappear, you should just have nitrate left on your tests.
Once the above has happened your cycle is complete and you can change out most of the water and add fish only a few at a time.
Also you mentioned you have food left over on gravel, you only need to add a pinch once or twice a day, how much are you feeding ?
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 26th Feb
Op just buy like a 30-60l tank like 2 foot wide with a filter set it up and cycle it as mentioned above and it would only cost an extra £10 to add a heater so you could have tropical fish which you'd probably enjoy much more due to colour's etc..
Change out 20% of the water every 1-2 weeks and wipe the glass over to remove algae, takes about 15 minutes very low maintenance.
Could get a group of 5 neon tetra and a few male guppies for some decent colour for about £15 and only need feeding a small amount
Fancy goldfish like fantails are slower growing... ordinary goldfish are golden carp, and can grow to the size of carp if not stunted by conditions
Hilljones26/02/2020 13:13

.By cleaning everything you have killed all the good bacteria

I'm surprised they haven't killed the fish.

It's a long time since I kept fish, and have never kept cold water fish. From memory though, goldfish are dirty fish so water quality will need to be monitored frequently.

A majority goldfish are just kept in a bowl with no filtration and perhaps some aeration. The smaller the bowl the more difficult it is to maintain a good quality environment for the fish
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants