Want to buy a mobile phone from AliExpress, not sure if that's a good idea

Found 24th Apr 2016
Hi,

As the title suggests really, specifically this one (and from this seller):

aliexpress.com/ite…tml

The phone itself is brand new, only released a few days ago and I don't think it will ever come to the UK (as in be officially released).
I've never spent money through AliExpress before and I had a look at the Ask forums and although people have before not many have spent larger sums of money.
The seller's feedback looks good and all but I quite like paying through Paypal.

Just wanted to know if any other HUKD'ers have spent money through AliExpress and what their experiences were like.

Thanks!

7 Comments

Original Poster

First off, you should keep in mind that you may be charged extra by customs duty tax and vat. As you buying goods from outside EU.

No one can tell you with 100% that you will pay or you will not pay - just pure luck.

Second thing: what if phone stop working after month or anytime.. you need send it back to China. So it's about.. one or two months without the phone, so keep it in mind too.

Rest of? It's cheaper, sometimes quality is better than branded phones, and most important it's safe... I mean buying from Aliexpress.

You can read all about it on Aliexpress site.

Personally I bought from Ali, more than from ebay, didn't have any problems.. but still that means nothing, because others can have quite different experience. If seller have a lot of positive feedback and price isn't too low (when everyone else sell it for 200, and one seller selling it for 100) then you should be another happy client.

Admast79

First off, you should keep in mind that you may be charged extra by … First off, you should keep in mind that you may be charged extra by customs duty tax and vat. As you buying goods from outside EU.No one can tell you with 100% that you will pay or you will not pay - just pure luck.Second thing: what if phone stop working after month or anytime.. you need send it back to China. So it's about.. one or two months without the phone, so keep it in mind too.Rest of? It's cheaper, sometimes quality is better than branded phones, and most important it's safe... I mean buying from Aliexpress.You can read all about it on Aliexpress site.Personally I bought from Ali, more than from ebay, didn't have any problems.. but still that means nothing, because others can have quite different experience. If seller have a lot of positive feedback and price isn't too low (when everyone else sell it for 200, and one seller selling it for 100) then you should be another happy client.

Pretty much this but if there is a similar priced eBay listing go for that as you have eBay protection for returns

Ive purchased stuff from aliexpress. Its all separate sellers so its always going to be hit and miss. However they give you a generous amount if time to claim if the item does not turn up or is not as described.

Use a credit card. It there's any issues claw ur money back

Original Poster

Admast79

First off, you should keep in mind that you may be charged extra by … First off, you should keep in mind that you may be charged extra by customs duty tax and vat. As you buying goods from outside EU.No one can tell you with 100% that you will pay or you will not pay - just pure luck.Second thing: what if phone stop working after month or anytime.. you need send it back to China. So it's about.. one or two months without the phone, so keep it in mind too.Rest of? It's cheaper, sometimes quality is better than branded phones, and most important it's safe... I mean buying from Aliexpress.You can read all about it on Aliexpress site.Personally I bought from Ali, more than from ebay, didn't have any problems.. but still that means nothing, because others can have quite different experience. If seller have a lot of positive feedback and price isn't too low (when everyone else sell it for 200, and one seller selling it for 100) then you should be another happy client.

Thank you for that. I completely forgot about the import costs. Luckily the company does recognise it and they say they send it out marked as a "gift" so that should help some. Of course the risk is still there.
I bought my current LG G2 from China as well but I bought it from another site that accepted PayPal and their warranty was also excellent (for the whole first year they would pay for shipping to and from them if anything went wrong).

Your point about sending this one back, I'll probably hold onto my current phone in case something like that does happen so it shouldn't really be too much of a problem, but thank you for your response, you've given me quite a bit to think about.

Original Poster

JimBobJr

Pretty much this but if there is a similar priced eBay listing go for … Pretty much this but if there is a similar priced eBay listing go for that as you have eBay protection for returns

thesinstar

Ive purchased stuff from aliexpress. Its all separate sellers so its … Ive purchased stuff from aliexpress. Its all separate sellers so its always going to be hit and miss. However they give you a generous amount if time to claim if the item does not turn up or is not as described.

prash_2k

Use a credit card. It there's any issues claw ur money back

Thank you all for your responses
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions