Want to hire a skip for to do mums garden?

Found 27th Jun
never hired a skip before. need advice because me and brothers are going to tackle my mums garden. it's been neglected for a few years. we reckon we could do the job in one day so would only need short hire. any ideas of where to look? never hired one before. she don't have a drive so would be on the road outside. there is no permit parking outside her house just normal. thanks
Community Updates
AskHome & LivingGarden
13 Comments
I think you need a permit to have one on the road and you're meant to have flashing lights around it. Not that anybody does. I'd check with your local council. Only ever had one on the drive
One of the problems with skip hire is that they can take a while to collect.

Depending on how much you think that you'll have what about rhinobag.co.uk/ or hippowaste.co.uk/hip…ag/

this sort of thing? basically a builders bag that you fill in the garden and they then collect with a crane thing. I'm sure other firms do the same but this is one that I've seen.
Edited by: "mas99" 27th Jun
Depending how big the garden is, could you not get old builders bags and then take the garden waste to your local recycling center?
Skips are kind of not worth it anymore as there’s lots of things you can’t put in them. If you have green waste it’s probably better to take them down to the tip in some ton bag style garden waste bags, it’ll be cheaper. You can leave those on the road and just put a few in the back of the car until done.
Consider hiring a shredder depending on what your clearing or it will fill quickly with bush stuff. Smaller skip will take loads of garden waste if you shred it
Edited by: "wayners" 27th Jun
Skips are very similar cost to grab bags like Hippo in my area.

Jut ring a couple of hire companies and get some prices, waste companies in my area are so busy at the moment so none are doing deals as they don't need too.

I had to pay extra recently to ask for it to be collected within 3 working days as it would be a week otherwise
I just hired an 8 sq yd skip for £230 inc vat, they can hold approx 8 tons. For 8 tons in the hippo bags that they collect would cost £1040.
The skip would have been cheaper if it was inert waste I.e. Stone, soil etc.
The skip company will sort the permit and will collect as soon as you're finished, the quicker the better for them.
Edited by: "Darzen" 27th Jun
Put all waste in front garden then when skip arrives chuck it in . Most drivers can wait.
Wickes sell Hippo Bags that will hold a ton for £8.99. I used to take my hedge clipping to the tip in one, they will fit in the back of a large estate car.

wickes.co.uk/Hip…852
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 27th Jun
jaketheplumber1 h, 15 m ago

Wickes sell Hippo Bags that will hold a ton for £8.99. I used to take my …Wickes sell Hippo Bags that will hold a ton for £8.99. I used to take my hedge clipping to the tip in one, they will fit in the back of a large estate car.https://www.wickes.co.uk/Hippo-Bag-Midi/p/152852

They may hold a ton but you're not gonna put that in your car are you, a bit different to hedge clippings.
jaketheplumber5 h, 37 m ago

Wickes sell Hippo Bags that will hold a ton for £8.99. I used to take my …Wickes sell Hippo Bags that will hold a ton for £8.99. I used to take my hedge clipping to the tip in one, they will fit in the back of a large estate car.https://www.wickes.co.uk/Hippo-Bag-Midi/p/152852

Just to highlight for the OP, you pay hippo the extra when you arrange collection, I was surprised to see them this cheap on the shelf until I read the packet
Darzen11 h, 54 m ago

They may hold a ton but you're not gonna put that in your car are you, a …They may hold a ton but you're not gonna put that in your car are you, a bit different to hedge clippings.

Of course nobody is going to put a ton in the back of the car, Op didn't make it very clear what they will be disposing of, I was just making a suggestion.
njpugh9028th Jun

Just to highlight for the OP, you pay hippo the extra when you arrange …Just to highlight for the OP, you pay hippo the extra when you arrange collection, I was surprised to see them this cheap on the shelf until I read the packet

I've never looked into it - just seen them in b&q and thought they looked like a cheap option. The only times I've had skips they sat around for a while before getting collected - I sort of assumed that the skip company didnt worry too much about collecting unless they needed it elsewhere.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants