Want to sell my MacBook Pro but don’t know how to go about it

Found 11th Aug
Basically I want to sell my 2017 MacBook Pro worth from £1600-1800 and am unsure how to go about it. I was thinking of selling on Gumtree but with that amount of cash I think it’s way too risky and I find Gumtree a shady platform anyway. The second is eBay, I was thinking of waiting till they have another max fees offer so I only pay that amount but again I’ve heard that people scam on eBay using PayPal and I possibly don’t want to risk that plus what are the chances of something happening like that.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
14 Comments
Try the classifieds on AVForums. Find someone with plenty of feedback and you'll be fine
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 11th Aug
I wouldn't risk selling something that expensive on Gumtree or eBay for the reasons you've mentioned in the OP. Too many scams and too much risk for that amount of money!

Sell to someone you know for a cheaper price (if you do know anyone), or sell it to a company like CeX. Even though you'll get less money it's better than being scammed and losing everything!

The only way I'd sell it to another person directly is by making them pay you through PayPal (EDIT: forgot to specify, friends and family only, DON'T USE GOODS AND SERVICES)/Bank Transfer (waiting a day so they can't recall the payment) and then posting it. Far less riskier and will probably make the most money - you could use Gumtree/Shpock/Facebook etc.
Edited by: "jamie015" 11th Aug
jamie01515 m ago

The only way I'd sell it to another person directly is by making them pay …The only way I'd sell it to another person directly is by making them pay you through PayPal/....Far less riskier and will probably make the most money - you could use Gumtree/Shpock/Facebook etc.

Paypal is not "far less [sic] riskier". It is probably the easiest way for a scammer to scam you.
I sold my 2016 model worth 1K on eBay without issues but it's risky.
If you get a bad buyer they'll scam you and it's a lot of money to lose.
You should list it on Gumtree or the likes and do strictly cash on collection so no recourse after.
If normal PayPal is used you expose yourself to the risk of a claim for item not as described.

Don't post it. Sell it in person. Less risks.

I don't see how you can get scammed if you sell it on Gumtree and do a cash on collection. Once you take the cash and they take the item they can't do anything.

Never do a collection with PayPal - you might get scammed since you'll have no proof of delivery and the buyer will claim item not received.
Edited by: "hearts22" 11th Aug
windym19 m ago

Paypal is not "far less [sic] riskier". It is probably the easiest way …Paypal is not "far less [sic] riskier". It is probably the easiest way for a scammer to scam you.

I meant friends and family, forgot to put it there! Updated.
hearts2218 m ago

I sold my 2016 model worth 1K on eBay without issues but it's risky. If …I sold my 2016 model worth 1K on eBay without issues but it's risky. If you get a bad buyer they'll scam you and it's a lot of money to lose. You should list it on Gumtree or the likes and do strictly cash on collection so no recourse after. If normal PayPal is used you expose yourself to the risk of a claim for item not as described.Don't post it. Sell it in person. Less risks. I don't see how you can get scammed if you sell it on Gumtree and do a cash on collection. Once you take the cash and they take the item they can't do anything. Never do a collection with PayPal - you might get scammed since you'll have no proof of delivery and the buyer will claim item not received.

Risk with Gumtree is that they'll steal your MacBook (they know where the MacBook is so will be prepared) and run away (factory reset already and no protection/passwords, so the item is ready for resale).
jamie01514 m ago

I meant friends and family, forgot to put it there! Updated.

that one as well apparently - 'oh me paypal wuz hacked'
brilly5 m ago

that one as well apparently - 'oh me paypal wuz hacked'

Oh, didn't realise that but it seems that it's true, unless it's funded by the PayPal balance. Only way to safely accept cashless payment in that case would be bank transfer or Western Union (though nobody would trust you if you offered that option).
jamie0152 h, 56 m ago

Risk with Gumtree is that they'll steal your MacBook (they know where the …Risk with Gumtree is that they'll steal your MacBook (they know where the MacBook is so will be prepared) and run away (factory reset already and no protection/passwords, so the item is ready for resale).

I'm sure that isn't a common occurrence.

Just meet in a public place with another person present and don't give out your address! That's what I did when I did cash on collection with people in Italy and here in the UK. Never had anyone know where I live.
Edited by: "hearts22" 12th Aug
Sphock
jamie0157 h, 55 m ago

I wouldn't risk selling something that expensive on Gumtree or eBay for …I wouldn't risk selling something that expensive on Gumtree or eBay for the reasons you've mentioned in the OP. Too many scams and too much risk for that amount of money!Sell to someone you know for a cheaper price (if you do know anyone), or sell it to a company like CeX. Even though you'll get less money it's better than being scammed and losing everything!The only way I'd sell it to another person directly is by making them pay you through PayPal (EDIT: forgot to specify, friends and family only, DON'T USE GOODS AND SERVICES)/Bank Transfer (waiting a day so they can't recall the payment) and then posting it. Far less riskier and will probably make the most money - you could use Gumtree/Shpock/Facebook etc.

DONT USE PAYPAL. Scammers often raise disputes and are awarded the cash by PayPal.

Meet them at a bank and pay the money straight in, when it’s paid in (ie cashier has checked the notes etc) hand over the device.
hearts226 h, 3 m ago

I'm sure that isn't a common occurrence.Just meet in a public place with …I'm sure that isn't a common occurrence.Just meet in a public place with another person present and don't give out your address! That's what I did when I did cash on collection with people in Italy and here in the UK. Never had anyone know where I live.

From the buyers point of view : would you collect and pay cash for a £1600 MacBook from anywhere other than the sellers home address?
I know I wouldn’t..
I personally wouldn’t worry too much about selling an item that expensive on Gumtree/FB etc, have someone with you at home so your not alone, and allow the buyer time to inspect and test the MacBook, ensure there 100% happy, before the transaction, give them the time you would expect when buying an expensive item.

No PayPal, bank transfer or cheque, cash only, do you know anyone who works in retail? If so, borrow a UV cash checker, if you’ve given the buyer time to inspect the goods then they shouldn’t have a problem with you checking the cash.

Easier option is to trade in at CEX etc but you will lose some money on it, check on there website what they offer then decide.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants