Want to upgrade my router to LINKSYS WRT1900AC-UK but any real benefits in changing from a BT home hub 5 with a £169 price tag

Found 15th Sep 2015
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml?gclid=CJDDvpLZ-McCFdXGGwod0lgD0w&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!75233966899!!!g!110897594180!&ef_id=VdCMaQAABAIN9j9c:20150915091147:s
Community Updates
7 Comments
"Don't know what to have for Christmas but this is it worth having than a BT home hub 5 opinions welcome"

I'm still trying to work out the title!
Depends on A - you're going to use the extra features B - It looks nicer to you. The home Hub 5 is a Modem/Wifi Router so not really the same thing as you're always going to need a modem.

We changed ours to stop the stupid BTWiFi (FON)....reason enough....

cdm22

"Don't know what to have for Christmas but this is it worth having than a … "Don't know what to have for Christmas but this is it worth having than a BT home hub 5 opinions welcome"I'm still trying to work out the title!

Why....it's simple enough to understand....

Doesn't know what he wants for Xmas....
Is the router mentioned worth getting over the HH5....
Likely2

We changed ours to stop the stupid BTWiFi (FON)....reason enough....

You can opt out of that and still use the HH5

community.bt.com/t5/…rue
Hellloooo

You probably have a VDSL "high speed" BT line, or an ASDL "broadband" line. If so this is a router without modem, typically for cable connections and you do not want it (as it will not work). A more suitable replacement might be this however it should be noted the BT home HUB five is dual band (that 5GHZ band is tip top because basically all wireless devices use 2.4GHZ and you get a mighty amount of interference) and only has marginally worse specs than this device (and only in the 2.4GHz band).

My honest advice is don't bother. It's a lot of money and if you have dual band and 1300Mbs on 5Hz (which you do on the home hub) you wont notice any real difference. If you are having problems with your hub and want a replacement something equally suitable would be available for much less - the performance is not as fast, but rarely do people utilise what their modem/router can do.

Byyeeee
Thanks for all your welcome responses gives me a better idea and now not to bother looking into getting the new design for kylie bedding set instead lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions