Groups

Wanted Advice in upgrade for elitegroup nforce4-a939 Thankyou

Hi folks,
    I have a elitegroup nforce4-a939 with 1Gig of ram and a AMD athlon 64 3500+ chip.
    I have a ATI Sapphire1950 graphics card, dvd writer, SoundBlaster X Fi Platinum Champian sound card + add on drive in front bay.
    Cooler master black and silver case. Samsumg 20.1 syncmaster 203B monitor....
    Like to surf, download, play occational game and watch movies...
    Oh... and a 80 gig main drive and a 160 gig drive for storage...

Can you suggest any options on how to upgrade

Thanks for any advice..................

Markone

Can't afford a great deal, so do what you can

8 Comments

how about putting a nice Quad Core in?
    that will certinly boost your PC

Original Poster

having a look around to see whats available now..........

Talk about confusing!!!!

Tanchi;3884359

how about putting a nice Quad Core in?that will certinly boost your PC

Don't the AMD Quad cores need a AM2 motherboard rather than a S939? If so, OP would be looking at £200 or so for processor and motherboard.

Cheapest improvement would probably be to put another gig or two of memory in - around £20 or so? If he wants to spend more then a new graphics card would probably be the best investment.

Original Poster

just checked and I have 2 pc3200u 512mb ddr sticks in 2 slots.
    I have two purple slots left, what can I upgrade with any suggestions..

Can anyone sell me any memory that will work on my board..
    Just seen the ad for play.com memory but that is for laptops.

Thanks

markone;3885041

just checked and I have 2 pc3200u 512mb ddr sticks in 2 slots.I have two … just checked and I have 2 pc3200u 512mb ddr sticks in 2 slots.I have two purple slots left, what can I upgrade with any suggestions..Can anyone sell me any memory that will work on my board..Just seen the ad for play.com memory but that is for laptops.Thanks

You could buy another 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 memory. However, your motherboard takes DDR memory which is a lot more expensive than DDR2. 2*1GB from [url]www.crucial.com[/url] would cost you £46. You can get cheaper memory but it's often a false economy. :whistling:

To be honest, if you are only running XP then 1GB is enough and it would be unlikely that you would notice any substantial difference in performance. The set-up you've got looks OK so, unless you're going to spend several hundred pounds, in which case you'd buy a new system, I'd find something else to spend your money on! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Running Vista..

Take your points...

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

I've had two PNY 1GB DDR400 running on my self-build (2003) AMD64 3000+ Foxconn nForce 4 Vista 64 for about four months...no problems at all!!! :thumbsup:

play.com/PC/…nre

Sapphire HD 2400 XT (256MB, PCI-Express) Graphics Card £9.97

hotukdeals.com/ite…re/

Would deffo upgrade motherboard, ram and get a q6600 intel chip in there, then overclock it 3.2ghz
    Sorted.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691421
      2. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941353
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047179
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767441

See more discussions