Groups
    EXPIRED

Wanted decent laptop for £350 or under

My brother is after a laptop for his young daughter for internet etc.
    I have been looking at the Compaq C550EM for £349 from currys or the FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI1705 1G for £349 from Comet, I really like the spec. but the battery life is only 1 hour (can you buy a better battery)?

Can anyone recommend any - must be brand new with a decent warranty, has this is for a christmas present anyone help !!!

10 Comments

For under £500, I'd recommend going Dell for the 9cell battery option Dell gives you, every other budget laptop I've seen comes with a low 2/4/6 cell battery.

Original Poster

can any one help please

Get the Vostro 1000 from Dell (business section) - just ordered one with the upgraded battery for £300...bargain :thumbsup:

Don't forget quidco for £10ish cashback, and if you can blag it, free delivery saving £60.

Original Poster

mikeyw

Get the Vostro 1000 from Dell (business section) - just ordered one with … Get the Vostro 1000 from Dell (business section) - just ordered one with the upgraded battery for £300...bargain :thumbsup:

How did you get to this price: mine comes to over £400

BASE AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53 edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT 3 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512] edit
    HARD DRIVE 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated) edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY 4 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (29 Whr)

Original Poster

schizoboy

For under £500, I'd recommend going Dell for the 9cell battery option … For under £500, I'd recommend going Dell for the 9cell battery option Dell gives you, every other budget laptop I've seen comes with a low 2/4/6 cell battery.

can you buy another battery for Fujistu laptops ? to last for at least 2 hours?
    confused

Cheryl Porter

How did you get to this price: mine comes to over £400BASE AMD® Athlon™ 6 … How did you get to this price: mine comes to over £400BASE AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53 edit OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit HARDWARE SUPPORT 3 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day edit LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512] edit HARD DRIVE 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit GRAPHICS CARD ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated) edit OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software edit PRIMARY BATTERY 4 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (29 Whr)

CP - You need to take off the 3yr next day warranty, think that'll knock £90 off for starters. Try blagging the free deliv as well to get you under £300.

mikeyw

CP - You need to take off the 3yr next day warranty, think that'll knock … CP - You need to take off the 3yr next day warranty, think that'll knock £90 off for starters. Try blagging the free deliv as well to get you under £300.

Now with my experiences of Dell Laptops, the warranty is a LIFE SAVER! Myself and my friend have both had Dell Laptops off them in the past two years, and mine has broken countless times, the HDD, the the Disc Drive, then my motherboard, then my PSU, my graphics card also. Power cord snapped lots of times, and all of which would have cost me WAY over £450+ to get myself. Instead, Dell replaced the parts for free! Also, it eventually died, and they replaced my old laptop with a new model that was twice the spec of my old one. So this £90 is WELL worth the buy!

Like anything in life you pays your money and takes your choice.....never needed to use a dell warranty after 5yrs of buying from them for various people.....personally think it's way overkill but then i like to take a chance ;-)

If you use it 365 days a year then i'd consider it, for inferquent use i wouldn't bother.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1517
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions