EXPIRED

Wanted: Mountain Bike around £300

Banned
Elloes,

I'm looking to replace my GT that my ex kindly scrapped for me (after being scrapped herself), but its alright because to make up for this she left me with massive debts instead. Woo o/

Ok, to the point, I've managed to save up around £300 for a mountain bike. Now, please don't do the usual 'You must spend at least £500!' - I can't. £300 ish is all the disposable income I can scrape together until at least august and I need to pick back up on my cycling now ish before my limbs start to decompose.

I'm guessing, my best bet would be a hardtail, something like a specialized hardrock or similar? Now my next questions are along the lines of 'which model would be best' (for combination dirt paths/rocky paths - I'm not into massively harsh terrain but I'm no pansy either), and who will sell one to me the cheapest.

Any help greatly appreciated, as mentioned i have *around* £300, could probably stretch no higher than £350 but that would mean me having no food to eat this month.

The one I'm currently looking at, is a 07 Specialized Hardrock Sport Hydraulic Disc, for £299.

Thanks in advance!

10 Comments

The Specialized is a lovely bike. Do you work? If so you can get the government incentive and pay 50%

wiggle.co.uk/Cus…spx

Definately a hardtail and make sure you get lock out front suspension. If you are eligible and that meanth you could stretch to £400 I'd get the wiggle.co.uk/Pro…007 right now. If not - get the Specialized! They've nly got a 21.5" in that's why it's such a cheap bike (remember it's got hydraulics etc)

Original Poster Banned

Elloes, thanks for replying

I do work, however I'm a bit dubious about asking my employer to setup the cycle two work scheme just for me (its a small business with 14 employees).

Just had a quick look at reviews and the Felt does look interesting, probably about exactly what I'm looking for (maybe a couple of lbs heavier) - perhaps a little bit above what I could pay though but I'll keep it in mind.

Original Poster Banned

Just had a look, and I've found the q720 for £339 elsewhere, again only on a 21" frame.

Being only 5'8 ish, kind of worried a 21" frame might be a little tall - but reckon I may go for it.

Original Poster Banned

Nah 21" is gonna be too tall for me for sure, best stop kidding myself

Land Rover MTB are really cool bikes. Check the current deal on discountbicycles.co.uk

Original Poster Banned

Ooh,

I've found the Felt Q720 2008 model, with a 19.5" frame (should fit me fine) for £400, cheapest elsewhere is £550

Think I'll order it and go two months without food

Edit: must be a misprice... I called up and they quoted £550. So I ordered it online for £400 anyway. Will probably never show up but gotta be worth a punt at that!

Nice - I'm 5'11 and got a Focus last year for £374 down from £600 21.5" frame and it's fine... I work for the council so got it on an interest free loan...

Hope it works out ok... gotta have a bike for the summer!

Anarchist;2007307

Ooh,I've found the Felt Q720 2008 model, with a 19.5" frame (should fit … Ooh,I've found the Felt Q720 2008 model, with a 19.5" frame (should fit me fine) for £400, cheapest elsewhere is £550 :oThink I'll order it and go two months without food :)Edit: must be a misprice... I called up and they quoted £550. So I ordered it online for £400 anyway. Will probably never show up but gotta be worth a punt at that!

Let me know how you get on as Im after the same bike for same kind of dosh , my diet has started already :-)

ps where did you order from ?

cheers

TT

Original Poster Banned

OK,

they've withdrawn the cash from my account now and I've not heard anything else from them yet... delivery is scheduled for no earlier than a week on monday (though when i called they said they had one in stock with the right frame size)

When (IF) I get the thing I'll post where I got it from, sorry but can't afford to risk getting it swamped and everybodies orders cancelled :\ I'm absolutely certain its mispriced, but one might slip through.

EDIT: I've just checked their website and the price has gone back up to £550 which is exactly what everybody else in the world is selling it at. Sorry!

Still not heard anything from them yet, so I can only guess that they are going to honour the price. If they do I'll happily refer everyone from now as that would be really great of them!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?11
    2. Wifi extender67
    3. Uploading screen recordings/images online22
    4. Iptv66

See more discussions