War Records.

Posted 17th May
Hi, my fiancee has been doing the family tree and found out I have a few members of my family who fought in the 2nd world war, some paid the ultimate price, can anyone recommend the best way of finding war records please? Some that might preferentially offer a trial?

Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I believe none offer a trial that I'm aware of
projextxuk_reviews17/05/2020 16:13

I believe none offer a trial that I'm aware of

That's what I've found too, we were looking at Forces War Records. I don't mind paying, but not sure of what information will be available. I'm after original scans of documents and photos etc.
projextxuk_reviews17/05/2020 16:16

gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records …gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records Cost is £30 per persons records and can take months

Thank you, I will consider this avenue. As I said, I don't mind paying, information like this is priceless when it's closer to home.
bbc.co.uk/his…tml has a couple of extra avenues to try
Have you looked at Fold3? They offer a free 7 day trial.
projextxuk_reviews17/05/2020 16:23

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/get_started/archives_01.shtml …http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/get_started/archives_01.shtml has a couple of extra avenues to try

Thank you.
I am pretty sure I saw an offer for forces war records. It was £12.50 for the year
slippers197717/05/2020 17:50

I am pretty sure I saw an offer for forces war records. It was £12.50 for …I am pretty sure I saw an offer for forces war records. It was £12.50 for the year

Where at please?
Traces Of War

Not really records as such, but the above link is handy to find any real life monuments or graves with the names of the people you are searching for on. Can also search by regiment etc or just browse a map to find cemeteries/crosses/plaques etc. Would be nice to visit them once your research is finalised maybe.
Try the CWGC records if you know the names of the two relatives that were killed it's free.
slippers197717/05/2020 17:50

I am pretty sure I saw an offer for forces war records. It was £12.50 for …I am pretty sure I saw an offer for forces war records. It was £12.50 for the year

These records are transcripts of original records without the ability to view official records. I wouldn't recommend them as errors can occur. The National Archives are offering free access to digital records including 1st and 2nd World War records. nationalarchives.gov.uk/abo…ds/ My advice would be to gather as much info as you can from the free searches on Ancestry, Find My Past etc, then apply for a free trial to these sites and view your findings to verify if they are the person you are looking for, or wait until they offer free access to their sites, which they do quite often, especially on Bank Holidays.
Beebee1818/05/2020 10:19

These records are transcripts of original records without the ability to …These records are transcripts of original records without the ability to view official records. I wouldn't recommend them as errors can occur. The National Archives are offering free access to digital records including 1st and 2nd World War records. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/digital-downloads/ My advice would be to gather as much info as you can from the free searches on Ancestry, Find My Past etc, then apply for a free trial to these sites and view your findings to verify if they are the person you are looking for, or wait until they offer free access to their sites, which they do quite often, especially on Bank Holidays.

Thanks Beebee18 🏻
Ancestry and FindMyPast are subscription sites with lots of records including a selection of military records. You can usually use them free in most pubilc libraries. During lockdown they've allowed libraries to give access to library members from home. Log into your local library service website and they should give details of how to access these. If you're not a member, some libraries allow online registration.
Doug_18/05/2020 12:59

Ancestry and FindMyPast are subscription sites with lots of records …Ancestry and FindMyPast are subscription sites with lots of records including a selection of military records. You can usually use them free in most pubilc libraries. During lockdown they've allowed libraries to give access to library members from home. Log into your local library service website and they should give details of how to access these. If you're not a member, some libraries allow online registration.

Good point Doug_, I'd forgotten about the free access from libraries, also my local records office has free access to ancestry and FMP, maybe other local records offices do too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions