Warning about a TV licence scam

Posted 6th Mar
Hi All,
Just thought I would put this out there.
I have Just received an email scam from TVLICENCE and I consider myself reasonable careful when I receive emails. I have to admit I got taken in by this email Luckily outlook would not allow me to open the links. This is what the email say's :-

ACTION REQUIRED

Your Licence will expire today

We are sorry to let you know that your TV Licence could not be automatically renewed.Something went wrong with your Direct Debit payment.

Keep this email safe, because it helps you to access your licence online.

Please Set up a new Direct Debit now

Please click "Update" below to start your procedure.

Please note that this step is mandatory for all the licensee. Any licensee failed to comply with the requirement will be resulted in termination of his/her subscription.

Regards,

TV Licensing

Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Seems legit OP.
I would pay it in nigerian dollars.
The appalling use of English in the line below is the big giveaway:

"Please note that this step is mandatory for all the licensee. Any licensee failed to comply with the requirement will be resulted in termination of his/her subscription."
People still pay for a TV license these days?
I don’t have a TV Licence, but if I did and received this email, the Update comments would be a definite clue that is was a scam.
21 Comments
Seems legit OP.
I would pay it in nigerian dollars.
I don’t have a TV Licence, but if I did and received this email, the Update comments would be a definite clue that is was a scam.
The appalling use of English in the line below is the big giveaway:

"Please note that this step is mandatory for all the licensee. Any licensee failed to comply with the requirement will be resulted in termination of his/her subscription."
plenty of TV licence spam out there even ones that are better than this one using better email addresses.
This is just one big red flag from the start, God help you if you receive one of the more legit looking scam emails.
Need to have a separate section for these helpful scam warnings / is-this-site-legit threads, with associated bin button.
Always hover over any links to see where they go, on android , you press and hold for options, and this shows the web address your actually going to, try it on this link
Completely_safe.com
When my license expires, I'm not going to bother renewing, instead, I'm going to revisit my doovdé collection.
I get those, always ignore them, if they want my money they'll have to do better than that. Plus the real tv licencing will send a snail mail letter.
esar06/03/2020 11:08

Always hover over any links to see where they go, on android , you press …Always hover over any links to see where they go, on android , you press and hold for options, and this shows the web address your actually going to, try it on this linkCompletely_safe.com

Opening the links ismt exactly the problem its downloading or entering any bank details or personal information
I always click on the persons name to see the recipients email address which is a good way of knowing whether a scam or not.
Norseg06/03/2020 13:48

Opening the links ismt exactly the problem its downloading or entering any …Opening the links ismt exactly the problem its downloading or entering any bank details or personal information

Wouldn't be so sure about that, any picture or link will be unique to you, and they'll keep trying it on
DevilsReaper06/03/2020 09:27

Yes, we watch live TV occasionally.
esar06/03/2020 15:47

Wouldn't be so sure about that, any picture or link will be unique to you, …Wouldn't be so sure about that, any picture or link will be unique to you, and they'll keep trying it on

Oh i am sure, i know IT, not exactly a qualified techie but i do know my stuff
The most they can do is an IP grab but that's more like what kids used to do on 360 to boot you offline because you killed them

Here's some advice never click on links, if its your bank, PayPal, eBay, etc, just type the real link just incase its a really good spoof

I almost fell for a spoof once it was good, well maybe it wasnt but i stopped and thought nope mid password type than changed my password straight away nust in case
Edited by: "Norseg" 6th Mar
I never usually click directly on email links even if they're legit.

well not since i helped finance an expedition for a very wealthy nigerian prince, so he could claim what was rightfully his.

Never did hear back from him, or get my cut...he might have died during the dangerous mission, just like he feared.

RIP Ayinla
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 6th Mar
OP, I add further. A sign of a scam, is the email asks for action urgently, "Your Licence will expire today"

However, I believe usually, official money chasers work roughly on a sort of three-strikes, you are out. They give you a warning to pay, then follow by another more urgent warning. Then, you get a final notice. During these warnings, they give you their contact details, which you can check up if real online by going to the relevant official web site.
Even if you're taken in by the email itself, hover your mouse over the link they're prompting you to click, assuming you're using a PC and have a look. The link is often totally random and bares no relevance to the organisation they're claiming to be from. Sometimes they're usually just IP address.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants