Warning about Asda home delivery

Found 23rd Mar 2016
Do not use Asda for home shopping if you actually want your shopping delivered!

failed to deliver shopping for three days running despite being told by customer services the shopping was "on it's way" and to "wait until at least 11pm" , amongst other things.

no communication or explanation for non delivery

Beware!
Community Updates
Misc
28 Comments
I get my shopping delivered from Asda and I and probably 99%+ of other people actually get it delivered.
You had a bad experience with them thats all.
So I will of course ignore your warning of
"Do not use Asda for home shopping if you actually want your shopping delivered"
"Home delivery scam" haha I did hear Asda were on the top 10 wanted poster for the FBI
If you want for dinner what you added to your shopping list, then don't bother with Asda. If your happy to eat whatever arrives at your front door & want to spend half hour on the the phone sorting your order out, then Asda is for you.

Nightmare when i used them, but that's been over 12 months ago now & never again. Just not worth the grief. (_;)
yeah, found that to over the two years we used them! Never again!
I used to work for asda and the home shopping department was a joke.

Dragging people who don't have a clue about home shopping (like me) to go and do the picking.

Getting home shoppers to start at 4-5am before the fresh items are restocked with the morning deliveries, meaning items were picked as substitutes instead of what people actually wanted.

Not having the resources to keep picking past midday even when overloaded.

Getting untrained people to go out on the vans delivering shopping - One occasion I recall someone saying they were delivering shopping to people until just after midnight (Why?!).

Just a farce, I firmly believe that home shopping should be done from closed depots where the stock is for home shopping only, when customers are involved you can't predict how the sales will go and you end up guessing and often guessing wrong.
Edited by: "dunc360" 23rd Mar 2016
go to the supermarket like a normal person
Havince

Exactly! #firstworldproblems
We've had many issues too. Vans supposedly broken down but we've had to call enquiring about our missing delivery. Vans arrive 30 minutes early or late.
When you get substitutions they aren't anything like what you wanted, although we did once get a £20 joint as a substitute for a £5 piece of cheap meat with no extra charge. Lately we've been getting lots of short shelf life stuff. Dairy and meat products with use by dates the same as delivery or next day. We complain & get vouchers but we even had a delivery cancelled at short notice. When we re-ordered they wouldn't give us another voucher as the last one had been used. Tesco & Sainsburys are better where we live but the shopping costs much more.
Ellie Phant

I get my shopping delivered from Asda and I and probably 99%+ of other … I get my shopping delivered from Asda and I and probably 99%+ of other people actually get it delivered.You had a bad experience with them thats all.So I will of course ignore your warning of"Do not use Asda for home shopping if you actually want your shopping delivered"

You didn't ignore it though, you replied. X)
Havince

Not the best thing to say really, we always have our grocery shopping delivered, albeit we shop at Tesco, its a huge help to people in situations who simply find it difficult to get out the supermarkets.
Gave up on asda home delivery some time ago, had problems with just about every order they delivered, missing goods being the main one. Then found that the delivery didn't come from a local store but one based about 45 minute drive away so if they forgot to load anything onto the van there was no chance of it being sent later as tesco has sometimes done if they make an error. Substitutions became ridiculous and refunds for goods quite often agreed and then not actioned. I'm sure we all have our own horror stories of supermarket deliveries , but personally wouldn't go back to using asda, just too much hard work.
Asda delivery areas are madness. The store I work at has 2 other stores within its delivery area that do deliveries themselves, and delivers to areas over 50 miles away that are less than 10 miles from other stores that deliver.
Asda home shopping is terrible, wouldn't use again myself either.
ONLY IF THESE ASDA PEOPLE HAD ACTUAL BRICK BUILT STORES! That's what I'm thinking to myself after reading about your case. Only if other retailers had these "supermarkets" you could visit too.
Asda missed my delivery I phoned them up they gave me £15 gift voucher and delivered my shopping next day 8am
Graham1979

ONLY IF THESE ASDA PEOPLE HAD ACTUAL BRICK BUILT STORES! That's what I'm … ONLY IF THESE ASDA PEOPLE HAD ACTUAL BRICK BUILT STORES! That's what I'm thinking to myself after reading about your case. Only if other retailers had these "supermarkets" you could visit too.

My mother had a stroke that left her with life changing disability, i'll tell her to grip of herself and toddle down the local Asda.

God forbid people expect to receive the items they've paid for huh, not like you're going to go through the whole shopping whilst the eager beaver delivering it is practically racing to the next drop as soon as you've opened the door
Could be worse. Sainsbury's recently had a bit of a balls-up where someone accidentally deleted all the orders for the day, nationwide. Whoops, eh?
dxx

Could be worse. Sainsbury's recently had a bit of a balls-up where … Could be worse. Sainsbury's recently had a bit of a balls-up where someone accidentally deleted all the orders for the day, nationwide. Whoops, eh?

With tesco and Asda, if something is substituted for a more expensive item then you only pay the price of the original item you chose.
Sainsburys and ocado charge you the more expensive item's price.
Shopped in Asda for years. Started with the Home delivery last year and after the messed up pretty badly and it taking 6 weeks to get a refund I dont even step in the store anymore.
Also worth noting in ASDA's case, that substitutions are entirely up to the person picking the shopping for the customer.

You don't get one person picking your whole list, you get people who pick fresh, fruit and veg, groceries, frozen all separately.

If one person is told to get strawberries which are out of stock and decides oranges are the next best thing, they can sub that in even though it makes no sense at all.

the next person might be told to get frozen fish fingers and decide chicken nuggets are suitable as a replacement. This isn't scrutinised at all so long as the sub is done, basically they are told to avoid "nil-picking" items in all cases unless the customer has opted out of substitutes.

And let's not go there with the boy-racer van drivers! I'm surprised anything arrives intact at the doorstep of the customer. At least if you use ocado they have in-cabin cameras, and proper speed tracking monitors to check on their drivers whereas asda vans have a tracker which is never used unless a van goes AWOL.

Absolute mess of a system imo.
never had a problem ,comes on time on the date selected
sickly sweet

With tesco and Asda, if something is substituted for a more expensive … With tesco and Asda, if something is substituted for a more expensive item then you only pay the price of the original item you chose. Sainsburys and ocado charge you the more expensive item's price.

Well, good thing no unscrupulous store manager would ever do anything to exploit that little policy, isn't it?
The main issues raised here seem to be substitutions and late deliveries. No store can stock 100% of their range, 100% of the time and that is especially true when items are on special offer. Regrettably, there are times when stock runs out. If you were doing a shop yourself, you would probably issue a silent curse and pick something else. I'm sure the pickers do as well, because they know that they are providing an alternative that the customer may not want. Substitutions are not done on purpose and if you wish for your shopping to be delivered in morning slot, you may have to accept that the order has been picked overnight when not all items e.g bakery bread or fresh veg have made it to the shelves.

Deliveries are sometimes late. Sorry! Once again, it’s rarely the fault of the driver but genuine issues regarding logistics. It’s perhaps undiplomatic to explain to a customer, that the reason for being late was that we were helping a less able customer check the dates on their produce, or lugging a dozen totes of bottled water and cat litter up three flights of stairs. Often it’s simply finding the property. You would be surprised how many houses fail to display their number in a visible manner and it isn’t much good nailing the name of your house to the gate if the gate is left open! In rural areas many villages share a single postcode and homes are identified by names not numbers. Imagine the fun that can cause? Deliveries are tightly timed so delays have a knock-on effect.

In a nutshell, problems occur and errors are made. Yesterday I worked for 12 hours (with statutory breaks), and delivered about 30 orders in that time. Perhaps that doesn’t seem like a lot, but many of our customers live in very remote and often difficult to access locations. Driving times can be substantial between drops but we pride ourselves on what we achieve, the level of customer service we deliver and the fact we provide a valuable service to many customers who are unable to get out of the house for whatever reason. All my orders were delivered on time and returns were minimal.

I love my job. The customers are (on the whole) brilliant and understanding when we have issues, my colleagues are entirely professional and genuinely strive to do a good job and the management supports us and reacts to our concerns. We don’t get it right all the time and neither does Tesco, Sainsbury’s or Fortnum and Mason. Remember though, the next time you look out of the window, and decide not to bother going to the shop because it’s cold, raining, snowing or you live three miles down a rutted, muddy track. The person who’s bringing your dinner to your door is trying as hard as possible to do a good job and all for minimum wage. Would you want their job for that price?
dubiousfrog

The main issues raised here seem to be substitutions and late deliveries. … The main issues raised here seem to be substitutions and late deliveries. No store can stock 100% of their range, 100% of the time and that is especially true when items are on special offer. Regrettably, there are times when stock runs out. If you were doing a shop yourself, you would probably issue a silent curse and pick something else. I'm sure the pickers do as well, because they know that they are providing an alternative that the customer may not want. Substitutions are not done on purpose and if you wish for your shopping to be delivered in morning slot, you may have to accept that the order has been picked overnight when not all items e.g bakery bread or fresh veg have made it to the shelves...

Those picking items for ASDA are informed what item to use as a substitution in the event of an item being unavailable.

The substitution items are based on what other customers have accepted during previous deliveries.
dubiousfrog

The main issues raised here seem to be substitutions and late … The main issues raised here seem to be substitutions and late deliveries. No store can stock 100% of their range, 100% of the time and that is especially true when items are on special offer. Regrettably, there are times when stock runs out. If you were doing a shop yourself, you would probably issue a silent curse and pick something else. I'm sure the pickers do as well, because they know that they are providing an alternative that the customer may not want. Substitutions are not done on purpose and if you wish for your shopping to be delivered in morning slot, you may have to accept that the order has been picked overnight when not all items e.g bakery bread or fresh veg have made it to the shelves...

dubiousfrog

In a nutshell, problems occur and errors are made. Yesterday I worked … In a nutshell, problems occur and errors are made. Yesterday I worked for 12 hours (with statutory breaks), and delivered about 30 orders in that time. Perhaps that doesn’t seem like a lot, but many of our customers live in very remote and often difficult to access locations. Driving times can be substantial between drops but we pride ourselves on what we achieve, the level of customer service we deliver and the fact we provide a valuable service to many customers who are unable to get out of the house for whatever reason. All my orders were delivered on time and returns were minimal. I love my job. The customers are (on the whole) brilliant and understanding when we have issues, my colleagues are entirely professional and genuinely strive to do a good job and the management supports us and reacts to our concerns. We don’t get it right all the time and neither does Tesco, Sainsbury’s or Fortnum and Mason. Remember though, the next time you look out of the window, and decide not to bother going to the shop because it’s cold, raining, snowing or you live three miles down a rutted, muddy track. The person who’s bringing your dinner to your door is trying as hard as possible to do a good job and all for minimum wage. Would you want their job for that price?

Are you sure about that?

When I used to get dragged in to to picking for home shopping because they sent pickers home to "save wages" and had to do subs, I clicked substitute on the scanner and no suggestions would show, I just clicked and scanned the item I had chosen to sub for it - if it was unavailable.

This was within the last two years - I left in August '14.

Kudos to you, I couldn't do your job. I was pulled in to drive the vans once or twice when no drivers were available for one of the vans and lugging totes up stairwells in blocks of flats was just physically brutal, coming from produce which is also quite heavy work - and finding the properties like you said was a nightmare.
fanpages

Those picking items for ASDA are informed what item to use as a … Those picking items for ASDA are informed what item to use as a substitution in the event of an item being unavailable.The substitution items are based on what other customers have accepted during previous deliveries.

dunc360

Are you sure about that?When I used to get dragged in to to picking for … Are you sure about that?When I used to get dragged in to to picking for home shopping because they sent pickers home to "save wages" and had to do subs, I clicked substitute on the scanner and no suggestions would show, I just clicked and scanned the item I had chosen to sub for it - if it was unavailable.This was within the last two years - I left in August '14.

Following the recent report on BBC TV's "Watchdog" programme, I asked two delivery drivers (within the last month) how the substitutions are selected.
fanpages

Those picking items for ASDA are informed what item to use as a … Those picking items for ASDA are informed what item to use as a substitution in the event of an item being unavailable.The substitution items are based on what other customers have accepted during previous deliveries.

dunc360

Are you sure about that?When I used to get dragged in to to picking for … Are you sure about that?When I used to get dragged in to to picking for home shopping because they sent pickers home to "save wages" and had to do subs, I clicked substitute on the scanner and no suggestions would show, I just clicked and scanned the item I had chosen to sub for it - if it was unavailable.This was within the last two years - I left in August '14.

Fair enough, they must have upgraded their gear since I worked there
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants