Warning - Barclays fraud. Worth reading if you ever get 'fraudlent transaction letter'

Found 11th MarEdited by:"veni_vidi_emere"
If you have an bank account you know that in account view, when you have outgoing of £10, you'll see:
-£10.00
If you have an income of £10, you'll see:
£10.00

When I got letter mentioned in title - where Barclays thinks there was fraudulent transaction, I can see - like on attached picture -£12.49
and before that column :
PURCHASE DATE

Assumption:
someone was trying to get displayed amount from my account, but transaction is on hold for me to report is it either FRUD / GENUINE.

WRONG THINKING ME

This is money reimbursement from shop I long forgot about.

2907715.jpg
Before the letter will get produced & delivered to customer it is even more unlikely to connect money reimbursement with this letter.

In my case: Money return happened 1,5 months before the date on letter - letter was delivered about 2-3 weeks after the letter issue date = over 2 moths altogether

I couldn't talk about it to anyone at bank, as I was said on a 0800 - all people dealing with it, work in my working hours, I was sent to branch - in branch they told me to call from internal phone to 0800

On this line someone told me that it's money coming into my account - credit. T

To find out that - it took quite a lot of time and effort. I can assume that plenty of people read column
PURCHASE DATE
fill in FRAUD and think bank helped them to avoid some scam. At the same time I think it's bank is scamming people sending this letters.

I only had a hunch that something is off - got a money return from amazon for a item bought year ago and once amazon confirmed money went back I forgot about it.

On that occasion I also remember that about 2 years ago I had exact same letter with
-£5.oo
I thought back then, bank helped, not.
Still got to get this money back.

Fraud Aftercare Team 0800 400100 [I made that note on a letter]
Community Updates
MiscFinance & Utilities
Top comments
I'm none the wiser.
12 Comments
I'm none the wiser.
Struggling to follow what's being said. Are you telling us that Barclays are flagging credits to your account as fraudulent?
??
- -
Banks should do and IQ test as well as Identity checks before allowing accounts to be opened.
Wtf is the op on about? makes no sense whatsoever unless you're a pigeon
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Mar
chocci17 m ago

Being chased by Mutley.
No Idea.

I have had texts, supposedly from barclays (that turns out scammers can mask their number as another number) So previous texts from barclays (or anyone you know) show up in the scammers text to you - it gives away the premise that their text is legit.

I had one "from barclays" asking if I had used my account for several hundred pounds to a nigerian travel agent, and to ring a number to confirm or not. I ignored it but others might not.
Original Poster
cis_groupie2 h, 45 m ago

Struggling to follow what's being said. Are you telling us that Barclays …Struggling to follow what's being said. Are you telling us that Barclays are flagging credits to your account as fraudulent?

Simply said yes. Your last sentence sums up whole thing up.

And all letters and SMS are legitimate.

Guy on a 0800 couldn't explain why it's flagged this way.
Edited by: "veni_vidi_emere" 11th Mar
Original Poster
splatsplatsplat24 m ago

No Idea.I have had texts, supposedly from barclays (that turns out …No Idea.I have had texts, supposedly from barclays (that turns out scammers can mask their number as another number) So previous texts from barclays (or anyone you know) show up in the scammers text to you - it gives away the premise that their text is legit.I had one "from barclays" asking if I had used my account for several hundred pounds to a nigerian travel agent, and to ring a number to confirm or not. I ignored it but others might not.

Yes this is possible. That's why customer should confirm validity of distance messaging by calling with self sourced data.
chocci1 h, 19 m ago

33423259-cVbEd.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions