Expired

Warning - Doki Doki Literature Club (online game)

Found 19th Apr
This is just a heads up for those who have children/young people who regularly play games online following a message I had from my child's school. There is an online game currently trending called 'Doki Doki Literature Club'. This game is not suitable for children as it is a game that shows users how to kill themselves and others after stripping their emotions.

Wiki Link
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
Having read the link I believe it’s a psychological horror but no references of suicide?

But alas kids and horror of any kind don’t usually bold well.
For clarification, the game isn't online but requires being online for downloading of said game.
It is a horror game and comes with a disclaimer on the site:

"This game is not suitable for children
or those who are easily disturbed."

After reading the wiki page though it sounds a little inconsistent with "it is a game that shows users how to kill themselves and others after stripping their emotions."
It appears to be a game where those events happen but is not a manual, the same way watching someone drive a car doesn't qualify them to start racing - but given how children (and many adults for that matter) are very impressionable, the game comes with a warning because it is not suitable for children and is listed on steam under "Psychological horror".

Video games are like all media, parents need to be aware of what their kids are watching or playing (or convince their children to follow warnings, though I know how hard this can be having been a child myself once)
Googling reviews or the title with "is [title] suitable for children" or looking for an age rating can work for video games the same as movies, tv shows or books
33663904-YgoLu.jpgFor further clarification, I downloaded the game myself to check, this is the first thing that you see when you open it.
TBH, With it being a visual novel, I'd be pleased my 12 year old was reading.
rated 16+, marked not suitable for children on steam, though the imagery is deceiving.

darkfrost145 m ago

Having read the link I believe it’s a psychological horror but no r …Having read the link I believe it’s a psychological horror but no references of suicide? But alas kids and horror of any kind don’t usually bold well.

It's a spoiler that why, but there is suicide.
Cheers for the heads up. Looks like they'll just have to keep on playing Manhunt instead......
Surprised at this thread. You shouldn't really be singling out this one game. It's rather clear from reviews and sale information what sort of game it is, always check them for a game your child wants to play. (hint: gta doesn't stand for 'good times ahead').

Trust me if you are surprised at this then your child has probably already played numerous games they shouldn't have!
Edited by: "delusion" 20th Apr
delusion2 h, 20 m ago

Surprised at this thread. You shouldn't really be singling out this one …Surprised at this thread. You shouldn't really be singling out this one game. It's rather clear from reviews and sale information what sort of game it is, always check them for a game your child wants to play. (hint: gta doesn't stand for 'good times ahead'). Trust me if you are surprised at this then your child has probably already played numerous games they shouldn't have!

I wasn't singling out this particular game and this was an e-safety message that we received from the school about this particular game that I thought I would share with a wider audience that may have an interest. From the initial graphics you can see how it would appeal to a younger audience who are easily impressed just with graphics.
My child is only the infants school and I monitor all of her online activity so am 100% aware of everything she plays and I can say with 100% certainty that she has never played any game that is not appropriate for her age range.
Chickedy15 m ago

I wasn't singling out this particular game and this was an e-safety …I wasn't singling out this particular game and this was an e-safety message that we received from the school about this particular game that I thought I would share with a wider audience that may have an interest. From the initial graphics you can see how it would appeal to a younger audience who are easily impressed just with graphics. My child is only the infants school and I monitor all of her online activity so am 100% aware of everything she plays and I can say with 100% certainty that she has never played any game that is not appropriate for her age range.

I didn't mean you directly. Probably sensible to tell the school not to single out this particular game as this advice isn't resolving anything really. I would advise them on a parents responsibility and course of action when choosing any game for their child to play, or TV show to watch (for example), the same guidance applies to all media and interaction with the Internet.
At that age especially I would hope all a child's online activity is monitored by a responsible adult but you never know I suppose.
Edited by: "delusion" 20th Apr
Tell me where to find these mentioned scenes? Cause playing through the game twice and even watching youtubers play it there’s no mention on how to kill yourself. It’s a visual novel that takes the serious content it provides with care and even lists professional help if needed? This has been praised by IGN (as well as other forms of press) for its approach to certain topics and I feel this should be approached with a bias opinion and a fair warning.
nani
What a scare mongering lot of worriers you are
It's a visual novel intended for adults and clearly aimed at that audience. There's no attempt to hide the fact that it carries an adult message about mental illness and having played it myself I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in a different take on this genre.

To summarise what the game is about would be to spoil it, but it's only a couple of hours long and I don't regret my time spent with it despite never having had good experiences with VN's before.
Please don't let them breed :(. There isn't enough cotton wool!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants