Expired

Warning Over Domestic & General (Argos) Insurance Policies (SOLVED!!)

Found 19th Apr
Now I do like to think I am pretty savvy when it comes to my own finances, but i was lured into a D&G insurance policy like a 1950’s rube!

I have had a few TV’s over the years and most have met a demise at the hands of the kids and flying plastic Disney’s cars… I also like to invest best part of a grand into a TV I always feel you get what you pay for..

After the loss of the love of my life a 2011 High End 52” Samsung Plasma, my home insurance would no longer cover me for accidental damage on the TV’s unless I paid a large premium, so I took the cheaper route by buying a cheaper TV and agreed to pay a £4 a month insurance to cover accidental damage along with repair or replacement, a policy that advertised its self as a like for like replacements with Argos offered by D&G, for 2 long years i have sat watching a low quality HD picture with the washed out colours and greyish blacks.. (it wasnt so bad, but when you come from quality Plasma to low end LED)

After 2 years of ownership and a marked improvement in my sons behavioural needs, I felt the time was right to invest in 4K and upgrade the screen size.. I purchased a 55KS7000 and the previous TV (still insured at £4.00 a month) was relegated to the bedroom, while my home insurance premiums have come right down on the accidental damage.

The TV I bought a couple of years back was a Samsung 43” Smart TV specifically with bluetooth to allow wireless connection to a sound bar and to control volume through the TV.

Last week the screen developed a fault, where the bottom 2 inches became what as I can only describe as interlaced with colours passing through that bottom part that again i can only describe as what a sound wave recording would look like.

I rang D&G and was given a reference and my local repair tel number..

after quick call the engineer didnt bother even coming as he priced a replacement panel at £500 for the part plus his costs and advised D&G wouldn't foot the bill they would offer me a settlement.

Today I get an email with an offer of settlement of £241.00 in Argos vouchers, they have based this settlement on a TV which they link which is a very basic LG with no smart features or bluetooth that I required, safe to say i have complained and not accepted this offer..

Now I understand depreciation but the policy was supposed to be like for like, and after a phone call they advised they would look into revising the offer on the info I provided but basically advised me not to hold my breath..

So I should of known better, seems as well that my insurance policy is actually worded as a service agreement and as such I have no right to complain to the FOS either.

So let this be a warning to everyone looking to take out one of these policies with Argos, you will not be covered for the value of the TV, nor will any settlement cover the replacement of what you have..

UPDATE:

So, phone call from Chloe, who I must say is a very nice person to speak with.

Chloe confirmed the original offer was an error and as such she has spoke to Samsung to match up a current TV's specs for me, and as such has made an offer of settlement that is 100% along the value of the original TV.. the bonus here is that I have been offered a Cash Settlement instead of vouchers and I can now purchase from a different retailer

I will say that I am very impressed with the support and customer service I received from Chloe, and she herself is a credit to D&G, Its prob fair to state that all the people I ever spoke to at D&G were also friendly and helpful, my issue was of course the settlement amount, and how I felt aggrieved by that which of course has now been resolved.

So starting this thread obviously went a long way to resolving my issues, but I say fair play that a company is listening to its customers grievances and is doing something about resolving them..

https://media.giphy.com/media/tLQfm7dmGqxfa/giphy.gif

Top comments

polite refusal then offer to burn the store down

let us know how u get on

xx

Error440

Clearly not as my tv cost 500 quid about 8 years ago, its had beakers … Clearly not as my tv cost 500 quid about 8 years ago, its had beakers full of milk chucked at it, hot wheels cars etc, its still good

My daughter once cleaned the screen of my Panasonic plasma for me...with an emery board.
55 Comments

They will always try their luck and hope you accept the first offer. You should end up with a more appropriate offer over the coming days.
But..why buy from Argos in the first place and secondly why pay £4 a month for an extended guarantee?

Richer Sounds offer a 6 year guarantee for free with most TVs and John Lewis offer 5 years.
As for accidental damage, John Lewis offer a pretty cheap warranty for this purpose. I've never understood why people buy TVs from Argos, Currys etc when you can get much better deals elsewhere.
For instance a Samsung 40ku6400 is £25 for a 5 year warranty that covers accidental damage!

What you describe is typical of all insurance, whether it be car insurance never offering you what your car is worth or shop riot damage or fire damage 2 years later still not been paid. They are quite happy to take your money but very reluctant to pay out.

Write your the chief executives,, the ombudsmen then sue them in the County Court. The loss adjuster makes commission on how much he he saves the insurance company, and the company relies on the customer accepting their low offers and not going all the way to court.

Successive Governments pass laws like Confetti, it is about time they passed a law that
Insurance Companies have to pay out within so many weeks of a claim.
Edited by: "Proveright" 19th Apr

haritori

...Now I understand depreciation but the policy was supposed to be like … ...Now I understand depreciation but the policy was supposed to be like for like, and after a phone call they advised they would look into revising the offer on the info I provided but basically advised me not to hold my breath..So I should of known better, seems as well that my insurance policy is actually worded as a service agreement and as such I have no right to complain to the FOS either.

"supposed to be like for like"? An insurance policy is a contract. If it says like for like, the benefit is like for like, subject to any (reasonable) terms. Summary of comment: what does the policy state? Is the offer reflective of the policy terms?

Original Poster

I know I always buy from John Lewis, but I had a £300.00 argos gift card at the time.. live and learn, My new TV is from John Lewis.

GRSC

They will always try their luck and hope you accept the first offer. You … They will always try their luck and hope you accept the first offer. You should end up with a more appropriate offer over the coming days.But..why buy from Argos in the first place and secondly why pay £4 a month for an extended guarantee?Richer Sounds offer a 6 year guarantee for free with most TVs and John Lewis offer 5 years.As for accidental damage, John Lewis offer a pretty cheap warranty for this purpose. I've never understood why people buy TVs from Argos, Currys etc when you can get much better deals elsewhere.For instance a Samsung 40ku6400 is £25 for a 5 year warranty that covers accidental damage!

haritori

...Now I understand depreciation but the policy was supposed to be like … ...Now I understand depreciation but the policy was supposed to be like for like, and after a phone call they advised they would look into revising the offer on the info I provided but basically advised me not to hold my breath..So I should of known better, seems as well that my insurance policy is actually worded as a service agreement and as such I have no right to complain to the FOS either.

My policy states if they cannot repair they will replace with a same or similar brand of similar technical specification.. so the first offer does not do that..

It goes on to mention if they cannot match a replacement they will make an offer of vouchers of their choice to the full retail value of a similar or same brand with similar tech specs, again not what i was offered.
Edited by: "haritori" 19th Apr

Had a 7 year old £400 laptop they could not repair after 4+ attempts. Got around £210 back from D&G. Tried to complain. But got nowhere. So I brought a used HP i7 with 16gb ram for £250. I consider the £210 towards it a great contribution. Could you not get cash and buy a used TV that's the same model?

Original Poster

Dawsy

Had a 7 year old £400 laptop they could not repair after 4+ attempts. Got … Had a 7 year old £400 laptop they could not repair after 4+ attempts. Got around £210 back from D&G. Tried to complain. But got nowhere. So I brought a used HP i7 with 16gb ram for £250. I consider the £210 towards it a great contribution. Could you not get cash and buy a used TV that's the same model?

I dont think they will give cash, as its an Argos policy.. one benefit is I haven't had to return the TV which is perfectly watchable for a TV as the part affected is usually in the black bars.

haritori

My policy states if they cannot repair they will replace with a same or … My policy states if they cannot repair they will replace with a same or similar brand of similar technical specification.. so the first offer does not do that..It goes on to mention if they cannot match a replacement they will make an offer of vouchers of their choice to the full retail value of a similar or same brand with similar tech specs, again not what i was offered.

Early days then. Polite but firm consise response should result in offer improvement. I assume the current version of the t&c are here, and if similar apply to your policy they seem reasonably clear.

haritori

I dont think they will give cash, as its an Argos policy.. one benefit is … I dont think they will give cash, as its an Argos policy.. one benefit is I haven't had to return the TV which is perfectly watchable for a TV as the part affected is usually in the black bars.

So you still have the TV which is still watchable and at least £241.00 in Argos vouchers to boot? Sounds like you have done one over on them not the other way around.

I understand it's emotional when it's not what you expected to be offered. Honestly though, it doesn't sound too bad a service in the scheme of things... If they revise the offer I'd accept it and move on.

Original Poster

chapchap

So you still have the TV which is still watchable and at least £241.00 in … So you still have the TV which is still watchable and at least £241.00 in Argos vouchers to boot? Sounds like you have done one over on them not the other way around.

Hardly, the TV is faulty tomorrow the whole picture may go like that, the policy is supposed to replace the TV with a similar one... they are comparing

Samsung 43J5500 (http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/full-hd-j5500/UE43J5500AKXXU/)

to an

LG 43LF540V (http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43LF540V)

the latter is an extremely basic TV with no smart features etc.. and argos dont even stock it?
Edited by: "haritori" 19th Apr

polite refusal then offer to burn the store down

let us know how u get on

xx

I have had a few TV’s over the years and most have met a demise at the h … I have had a few TV’s over the years and most have met a demise at the hands of the kids and flying plastic Disney’s cars… I also like to invest best part of a grand into a TV I always feel you get what you pay for..

Clearly not as my tv cost 500 quid about 8 years ago, its had beakers full of milk chucked at it, hot wheels cars etc, its still good

Error440

Clearly not as my tv cost 500 quid about 8 years ago, its had beakers … Clearly not as my tv cost 500 quid about 8 years ago, its had beakers full of milk chucked at it, hot wheels cars etc, its still good

My daughter once cleaned the screen of my Panasonic plasma for me...with an emery board.

fivegoldstars

My daughter once cleaned the screen of my Panasonic plasma for me...with … My daughter once cleaned the screen of my Panasonic plasma for me...with an emery board.

My son kept shoving plastic spoons in the ps3 he managed to get a car ramp in it too, i wondered why dishonoured wasn't working I'm surprised the disc even went in. Still i managed to extract them all with taeezers and stuff. Still got no idea what happened to the toy coins they maybe in something but not messing it up

Go some research, find a comparable model and get ready for the call back. it might be that you can't get a tv with Bluetooth or some of the features anymore but having the info at hand will put you in a better position for when they call. Good luck.

They tried this with my dad on a carpet washer. Trying to give him a cheap machine because the like for like was £300 more expensive as his had been discontinued. Stick to your guns. He gave them hell and got what he was entitled to.

Find the closest model to yours in Argos feature for feature, explain why it's the most similar and tell them you want that value. You always have to bargain with them.

Have a read of John Lewis and other retailers 5 years terms and conditions now, they state that the repair comes out of the value of the tvs purchase prices, so if your TV costs £800 and a repair costs £200 you have £600 to last for the rest of the 5 year warranty, no money left in the pot means no repair. American warranties have been like this for years and now uk based firms are following suit :-(

Never accept the first offer with any insurance claim, if you get another offer you don't have to accept that either, point being theres no downside to not accepting their offer, your either get another offer or your stuck at their original offer.

Ask in your local Citizen Advice Bureau if you really want to know where you stand.

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments guys, just felt like having a moan about it lol.. realistically I want £400.00 the TV i bought was that on sale it should of been £500.00 I feel for £400.00 I could replace the TV for something technically similar or better.

Never,ever buy anything like TV,washing machine,Dryer,oven etc from Argos or Currys.They have got to be the worst for customer service etc.
John Lewis is the one or even tesco have been cool with getting replacements etc.

Original Poster

themachman

Never,ever buy anything like TV,washing machine,Dryer,oven etc from Argos … Never,ever buy anything like TV,washing machine,Dryer,oven etc from Argos or Currys.They have got to be the worst for customer service etc.John Lewis is the one or even tesco have been cool with getting replacements etc.

I know, I know lol...

I broke my own rule to buy this TV as I had a voucher at the time, and even as I bought it I knew I could get it similar price with 5 years.. it even went through my mind what if it broke in 3 years etc hence why I took the policy...

Ive learnt my lesson that I already knew

stoneblade

Have a read of John Lewis and other retailers 5 years terms and … Have a read of John Lewis and other retailers 5 years terms and conditions now, they state that the repair comes out of the value of the tvs purchase prices, so if your TV costs £800 and a repair costs £200 you have £600 to last for the rest of the 5 year warranty, no money left in the pot means no repair. American warranties have been like this for years and now uk based firms are following suit :-(

Argos / D&G warranties cease on total loss payout.

miles136

polite refusal then offer to burn the store downlet us know how u get on … polite refusal then offer to burn the store downlet us know how u get on xx

Miles you're a naughty but funny bar steward!

AndyRoyd

​I believe all warranties do, I have had a fridge freezer covered by d&g which totally bust and they replaced and then I had to pay for new insurance to cover the new fridge. I was just making people aware that most warranties now will only cover repairs up to the original value of the item, and each repair takes a chunk out of the sum available until nothing is left.

Your biggest mistake - going to Argos!
I bought a 5:1 surround sound system from them on a Friday evening. I set it up on Saturday morning and it had a 'hum' followed by a popping noise. Not believing it to be the new thing I tried all the settings then bought new leads (except for the ones that came with the system) but couldn't get it to work. At 10am the following day, Sunday, I went back to return it as faulty. She refused a full refund claiming 'betterment' ie , I had some use out of it. She wanted to deduct 10%.
Apparently perfectly legal. I got the full money back after I printed of some A4 flyers telling people what had happened and stood outside her shop, with the faulty system, handing then out to people going in. The manager came out and screamed at me that she was going to call the police, they came, read my flyer and decided there was nothing libellous as I simply stated the facts. I didn't do any name calling (very careful not to) just a photocopy of the receipt, complaint and the fact that they refused to refund as it was 'used'.

I was told that Argos were able to offer such low prices because they buy goods 'untested' , wiring on the people that a good discount is offset by the bulk of sales. How true it was then or it is now I don't know.
Edited by: "mrty" 20th Apr

I got roped into the cover when buying an Xbox at game. This developed a fault within 2 weeks of buying, they refused to touch it as it wasn't accidental damage and game wouldn't change it because the intermittent fault wasn't showing up when they turned it on. I managed to film it and they had no other option but to shove it and replace. The game staff in another store told me to drop it next time and that way d&g would replace it.. we'll see if that time ever comes to call them again. Somewhat sceptical

haritori

I dont think they will give cash, as its an Argos policy.. one benefit is … I dont think they will give cash, as its an Argos policy.. one benefit is I haven't had to return the TV which is perfectly watchable for a TV as the part affected is usually in the black bars.

Just for your info. I had a similar policy for our 10yr+ old Dyson.

They first tried to fob me off with an £89 Vax from Argos. I just kept it nice. I told her that I wanted a Dyson as that's what I had paid for. She put me on hold for a bit and came back with the offer of a base Dyson. Luckily I was aware of the HEPA filter on the old one and knew that this was only offered on the higher models, I just pushed that element (asthmatic in the house) and got the offer increased from £89 to £360!! They didn't really fight it, they just try it on, but importantly they sent me a cheque and I bought it from Currys as the one I wanted was on offer and reduced from £399 to £299

mrty

Your biggest mistake - going to Argos! I bought a 5:1 surround sound … Your biggest mistake - going to Argos! I bought a 5:1 surround sound system from them on a Friday evening. I set it up on Saturday morning and it had a 'hum' followed by a popping noise. Not believing it to be the new thing I tried all the settings then bought new leads (except for the ones that came with the system) but couldn't get it to work. At 10am the following day, Sunday, I went back to return it as faulty. She refused a full refund claiming 'betterment' ie , I had some use out of it. She wanted to deduct 10%. Apparently perfectly legal. I got the full money back after I printed of some A4 flyers telling people what had happened and stood outside her shop, with the faulty system, handing then out to people going in. The manager came out and screamed at me that she was going to call the police, they came, read my flyer and decided there was nothing libellous as I simply stated the facts. I didn't do any name calling (very careful not to) just a photocopy of the receipt, complaint and the fact that they refused to refund as it was 'used'. I was told that Argos were able to offer such low prices because they buy goods 'untested' , wiring on the people that a good discount is offset by the bulk of sales. How true it was then or it is now I don't know.

This all sounds very fishy to me?!? Firstly, I've never had an issue returning stuff to Argos, faulty or not, they never give me grief, they just refund. Either things have changed since the Sainsbury's acquisition (they bought it didn't they?) or you were just unfortunate or maybe got their backs up as you were clearly a little annoyed.

As for the second part, I cannot believe that there's any truth in your "untested" comment, do you honestly think that Tesco's/ Richer Sounds etc OPEN all their products and test them??? New is NEW, most new electronics are mass produced in the far east, have a bit of QC and then get shipped over here, there's bound to be a few with problems regardless of where you buy from!?!

Original Poster

frakison

Just for your info. I had a similar policy for our 10yr+ old Dyson.They … Just for your info. I had a similar policy for our 10yr+ old Dyson.They first tried to fob me off with an £89 Vax from Argos. I just kept it nice. I told her that I wanted a Dyson as that's what I had paid for. She put me on hold for a bit and came back with the offer of a base Dyson. Luckily I was aware of the HEPA filter on the old one and knew that this was only offered on the higher models, I just pushed that element (asthmatic in the house) and got the offer increased from £89 to £360!! They didn't really fight it, they just try it on, but importantly they sent me a cheque and I bought it from Currys as the one I wanted was on offer and reduced from £399 to £299

When I checked my policy they dont even have the model of my TV, it just says LED TV.. So i have informed them of my TV model and they are currently revising the offer, and have been told will get an email in the next few days with a revised offer. As per you HEPA, I am pushing the Samsung and Bluetooth elements as its a bedroom TV we have a soundbar and it connects via bluetooth only to Samsung TV's this also puts the price up on the selection of TV's with these features.
Edited by: "haritori" 20th Apr

Had the same issue with a Pioneer Plasma bought from DSG with a "Whatever Happens" guarentee.

Purchased for £2600, offered £450 for the equivalent Goodmans Plasma.

They are all really a waste of time.

frakison

This all sounds very fishy to me?!? Firstly, I've never had an issue … This all sounds very fishy to me?!? Firstly, I've never had an issue returning stuff to Argos, faulty or not, they never give me grief, they just refund. Either things have changed since the Sainsbury's acquisition (they bought it didn't they?) or you were just unfortunate or maybe got their backs up as you were clearly a little annoyed.As for the second part, I cannot believe that there's any truth in your "untested" comment, do you honestly think that Tesco's/ Richer Sounds etc OPEN all their products and test them??? New is NEW, most new electronics are mass produced in the far east, have a bit of QC and then get shipped over here, there's bound to be a few with problems regardless of where you buy from!?!

​ This did happen about 18 years ago, so hopefully things have improved. The sound system was £169.99, a lot of money then. I didn't get annoyed until she offered me less than I paid for it two days earlier- especially when she said I had had two days use.

The last part it's something I was told by someone who worked at Argos (different store) at the time. I think what he meant was something along the lines of bench testing etc, but as I said how true it is I don't know.
What happened to me is definitely true. I don't use Argos now for anything electrical.
(Personally,I think the manager was being over zealous. Probably just had training on consumer law and was using the "betterment" clause for the first time.)

haritori

I know I always buy from John Lewis, but I had a £300.00 argos gift card … I know I always buy from John Lewis, but I had a £300.00 argos gift card at the time.. live and learn, My new TV is from John Lewis.My policy states if they cannot repair they will replace with a same or similar brand of similar technical specification.. so the first offer does not do that..It goes on to mention if they cannot match a replacement they will make an offer of vouchers of their choice to the full retail value of a similar or same brand with similar tech specs, again not what i was offered.

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear of your frustrations and would like to help resolve this for you. Domestic & General promise that if an appliance is written off we will replace it with another model that is of the same or similar in technical specification as your original appliance. I apologise that you were unhappy with the model originally offered by our Product Replacement Team. We have a system hat we use that automatically generates the closest model available to offer to you as a replacement. If a suitable replacement is not available to purchase through our suppliers then we will look to base a cash settlement on the cost of a suitable replacement available to purchase independently. Whilst we are confident that this system is almost always correct I can appreciate that errors do happen. Therefore I would like to look into this for you and double check that the model the cash settlement was based on was correct as promised in your policy documents. Please follow this link to send your details across to us - domesticandgeneral.com/fee…ack. I'll then pick this up and further investigate your concerns in the hope of reaching a resolution for you. Kind regards, Chloe.

Original Poster

DomesticAndGeneral

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear of your frustrations and would like to help … Hi, I'm really sorry to hear of your frustrations and would like to help resolve this for you. Domestic & General promise that if an appliance is written off we will replace it with another model that is of the same or similar in technical specification as your original appliance. I apologise that you were unhappy with the model originally offered by our Product Replacement Team. We have a system hat we use that automatically generates the closest model available to offer to you as a replacement. If a suitable replacement is not available to purchase through our suppliers then we will look to base a cash settlement on the cost of a suitable replacement available to purchase independently. Whilst we are confident that this system is almost always correct I can appreciate that errors do happen. Therefore I would like to look into this for you and double check that the model the cash settlement was based on was correct as promised in your policy documents. Please follow this link to send your details across to us - http://www.domesticandgeneral.com/feedback. I'll then pick this up and further investigate your concerns in the hope of reaching a resolution for you. Kind regards, Chloe.

Thank you Chloe but your link doesn't work? Nevermind it was the full stop on the link that prevented it from working, I have forwarded all my details, I look forward to your reply as I am sure most of this thread does
Edited by: "haritori" 20th Apr

lynsaydyson

They tried this with my dad on a carpet washer. Trying to give him a … They tried this with my dad on a carpet washer. Trying to give him a cheap machine because the like for like was £300 more expensive as his had been discontinued. Stick to your guns. He gave them hell and got what he was entitled to.

Hi Lynsay, I'm sorry to hear that your dad was unhappy with the service he received surrounding the replacment process for his carpet cleaner. If an unsuitable model is offered originally as a replacement we will do our very best to revise this offer to something more suitable. I'm happy to hear that he received a replacement that he was happy with in the end. If you wanted me to look into this issue for you to try and help improve the service we provide in the future please send further information across via this link - domesticandgeneral.com/fee…ack. Thanks, Chloe.

AndyRoyd

Hi Andy, Domestic & General run two types of policies for televisions - these are new for old policies and depreciation scale policies. Both types of plans offer an unlimited amount of repairs. The amount of repairs our customers have does not affect the offer that is made when an appliance is written off. The only difference between these plans is the cost associated to the customer if an appliance is replaced. If they hold a new for old policy then Domestic & General will cover the full cost of a replacement with the same or similar technical specification as their original appliance. If they hold a depreciation scale policy then Domestic & General will look to pay a contribution of around 55%. I hope this is clear, however if you have any other questions just let me know. Thanks, Chloe

I like how d&g have now made an account on here and trying to cover their back!

AndyRoyd

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention that once an appliance is written off the policy is cancelled as the customer no longer owns the appliance. The replacement supplied will come with a manufacturers warranty. Thanks, Chloe

Chiptivo

Had the same issue with a Pioneer Plasma bought from DSG with a "Whatever … Had the same issue with a Pioneer Plasma bought from DSG with a "Whatever Happens" guarentee.Purchased for £2600, offered £450 for the equivalent Goodmans Plasma. They are all really a waste of time.

Hi
Chiptivo

Had the same issue with a Pioneer Plasma bought from DSG with a "Whatever … Had the same issue with a Pioneer Plasma bought from DSG with a "Whatever Happens" guarentee.Purchased for £2600, offered £450 for the equivalent Goodmans Plasma. They are all really a waste of time.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the model offered by our Product Replacement Team. If you would like me to look into this for you please send your details across via this link - domesticandgeneral.com/fee…ack Thanks, Chloe

Original Poster

To update, had a very pleasant call from Chloe@Domestic&General who promises to look into this for me, and call me back tomorrow with hopefully a resolution.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Beetlejuice Remake02
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771929
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19548058
    4. Corrupt banks finally being dealt with924

See more discussions