Warning regarding Netflix/Amazon etc streaming quality on smartphones.

Posted 30th Aug 2020
Some of you may know/understand how the Widevine certification works, some don't. Yet, I am constantly seeing 1000 phone deals being posted with a lack of any important information (this is a whole other issue) daily with our HUKD members posting stuff like "great screen for Netflix" etc.

Sorry mate, you will be enjoying no more than 480p standard definition on that glorious FHD+ 650 nit Amoled display, thus rendering it redundant for such content.

I feel I should warn people of this as the deals that are being posted are not stating this very important information. Widevine is a form of DRM (digital rights management).

Here is more information:

androidauthority.com/wid…35/

I believe that Netflix need to certify devices also, but there are ways around that. With phones that have Widevine L3, regardless of whether or not you get a Netflix apk installed or not, you will get no more than SD content.

Just a heads up to those like myself who enjoy great looking content
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Jump_Out_Gang30/08/2020 16:05

I can’t believe people didn’t know this already

Lol don't be dramatic. Not everyone knows, because they are not informed by the deal posters and are not savvy to this information.
Edited by: "I_NEED_AIR_CON" 31st Aug
48 Comments
So thats why netflix looks crap on chrome hence why I use microsoft edge on my desktop. My s10 5g always looks good so that must be compatible with netflix.
You can always check your android device as in that link by downloading DRM Info from the Play Store and checking the Widevine CDM section for your phones security level.

My Huawei P30 Pro is Security Level L1 so gladly I can enjoy the OLED screen in full HD.
Edited by: "cicobuff" 30th Aug
I forgot to mention, download DRM info as someone has suggested, and also search 'test patterns' on Netflix and watch the first episode. On the top right corner it will show you the resolution the video is playing in. My Mi Mix 3 does not go higher than 480p.
Jump_Out_Gang30/08/2020 16:05

Lol don't be dramatic. Not everyone knows, because they are not informed by the deal posters and are not savvy to this information.
cicobuff30/08/2020 15:22

You can always check your android device as in that link by downloading …You can always check your android device as in that link by downloading DRM Info from the Play Store and checking the Widevine CDM section for your phones security level.My Huawei P30 Pro is Security Level L1 so gladly I can enjoy the OLED screen in full HD.

"Technically, all Android smartphones can support L1 Widevine security, but implementation mileage may vary with lower cost smartphones that may skimp on testing times."

This is confusing, anyway checked netflix link and cannot believe mate 20 pro isn't there but 10 pro is and mate 20 is.

I knew my old iPhone YouTube looked better quality compared with my android.
Edited by: "MR1123" 30th Aug
Haz_1930/08/2020 15:07

So thats why netflix looks crap on chrome hence why I use microsoft edge …So thats why netflix looks crap on chrome hence why I use microsoft edge on my desktop. My s10 5g always looks good so that must be compatible with netflix.

Chrome is capped to 720p as far as I know. Check with the method i posted above.
I_NEED_AIR_CON30/08/2020 16:19

I forgot to mention, download DRM info as someone has suggested, and also …I forgot to mention, download DRM info as someone has suggested, and also search 'test patterns' on Netflix and watch the first episode. On the top right corner it will show you the resolution the video is playing in. My Mi Mix 3 does not go higher than 480p.

I don't have netflix.
MR112330/08/2020 16:21

I don't have netflix.

Just download DRM info then and it will give you the Widevine cert
I_NEED_AIR_CON30/08/2020 16:22

Just download DRM info then and it will give you the Widevine cert

I have but I have no clue what it supports. Says L1 but they said all android will have L1 so not sure what the point was to download it.
MR112330/08/2020 16:25

I have but I have no clue what it supports. Says L1 but they said all …I have but I have no clue what it supports. Says L1 but they said all android will have L1 so not sure what the point was to download it.

If it says L1 i'm pretty sure your phone has 1080p/HDR support. I assume you have Mate 20 Pro? The Widevine L1 release for that was released nearly 2 years ago according to online articles.
I_NEED_AIR_CON30/08/2020 16:26

If it says L1 i'm pretty sure your phone has 1080p/HDR support. I assume …If it says L1 i'm pretty sure your phone has 1080p/HDR support. I assume you have Mate 20 Pro? The Widevine L1 release for that was released nearly 2 years ago according to online articles.

Sorry this is for the Motorola g6 plus which says L1. But it's not on netflix supported devices.
Haz_1930/08/2020 15:07

So thats why netflix looks crap on chrome hence why I use microsoft edge …So thats why netflix looks crap on chrome hence why I use microsoft edge on my desktop. My s10 5g always looks good so that must be compatible with netflix.

I actually don’t think it is, they cap it at 720 on chrome but on edge it’s 1080p, same for Mac only Safari pushes 1080p, on Chromebook it pushes 1080p strange system, just use the Netflix app on Windows
A widevine L1 cert alone isn't enough for Netflix HD. The device has to be certified by Netflix as well.
MR112330/08/2020 16:25

I have but I have no clue what it supports. Says L1 but they said all …I have but I have no clue what it supports. Says L1 but they said all android will have L1 so not sure what the point was to download it.

Do all android phones have L1 Security? The link did not make that clear at all. It just states technically ALL can but is L1 implemented on all including lower cost smartphones?

41792277-VLcnb.jpg
cicobuff30/08/2020 18:07

Do all android phones have L1 Security? The link did not make that clear …Do all android phones have L1 Security? The link did not make that clear at all. It just states technically ALL can but is L1 implemented on all including lower cost smartphones?[Image]

No it isn't, which was the point of this thread, to make people aware of it.
Uridium30/08/2020 18:03

A widevine L1 cert alone isn't enough for Netflix HD. The device has to be …A widevine L1 cert alone isn't enough for Netflix HD. The device has to be certified by Netflix as well.

True but if the device itself has an L1 cert, it is very easy to get a version of Netflix that allows for HD playback. Can't say more as not sure it's allowed
Can someone please post a step by step guide so a layman (like me) can determine which resolution a phone (on HUKD post) week play Netflix on?

Thanks in advance.
"Sorry mate, you will be enjoying no more than 480p standard definition on that glorious FHD+ 650 nit Amoled display, thus rendering it redundant for such content"

Does my phone play Netflix?

Yes. I am happy.

Lay there in bed, sat on the bus/train/plane all looks fine to me
I more interested in the capability of the speed of the device (data and internal components) personally.
I_NEED_AIR_CON30/08/2020 18:21

No it isn't, which was the point of this thread, to make people aware of …No it isn't, which was the point of this thread, to make people aware of it.

Hence why I referred to that article that MR1123 must have misread.
MadeDixonsCry30/08/2020 18:58

Can someone please post a step by step guide so a layman (like me) can …Can someone please post a step by step guide so a layman (like me) can determine which resolution a phone (on HUKD post) week play Netflix on? Thanks in advance.

Go on netflix as if you were going to search for a movie. Search for 'test pattern'. Play episode 1, let it run for a few seconds then you will see in the top right in yellow writing what resolution it is playing at. if its 1920x1080 then your all good.
Who wants to watch Netflix on a tiny screen anyway...
To be honest I don’t really think most people care. Surely patronising with the “sorry mate...” is a bit OTT? A phone isn’t redundant because the resolution isn’t top notch when they’re catching up on prison break.
You make fair points that companies should be making it more obvious - but that onus is on them, not the posters as you implied.
Bargainhead30/08/2020 21:52

Who wants to watch Netflix on a tiny screen anyway...

Me, because I look an idiot carrying a 23" monitor, big heavy battery and an inverter onto a plane
SaltyExpert30/08/2020 22:21

Me, because I look an idiot carrying a 23" monitor, big heavy battery and …Me, because I look an idiot carrying a 23" monitor, big heavy battery and an inverter onto a plane

chocci31/08/2020 06:20

People travelling

i dont get the enjoyment, trying to watch something on a 6" screen, it would just spoil the programe/movie.
Nat_urally30/08/2020 22:07

To be honest I don’t really think most people care. Surely patronising w …To be honest I don’t really think most people care. Surely patronising with the “sorry mate...” is a bit OTT? A phone isn’t redundant because the resolution isn’t top notch when they’re catching up on prison break. You make fair points that companies should be making it more obvious - but that onus is on them, not the posters as you implied.

Not meant to be patronising, more of a fact for those who buy great displays for the sake of viewing Amazon/Netflix/iPlayer etc. And it is redundant if they are spending £600 on a phone for it's display just to watch content on. Agree regarding onus on manufacturers but the deal posters here need to stop copying and pasting literally every phone without any important information.
Bargainhead31/08/2020 07:48

i dont get the enjoyment, trying to watch something on a 6" screen, it …i dont get the enjoyment, trying to watch something on a 6" screen, it would just spoil the programe/movie.

6.5" and above is better, and you certainly can enjoy it with a 1080p+ video, which is the point of such great displays. Throw in HDR and stuff on Netflix looks great. I watched Lucifer on my friend's S10 and it looked great.
SaltyExpert30/08/2020 19:39

"Sorry mate, you will be enjoying no more than 480p standard definition …"Sorry mate, you will be enjoying no more than 480p standard definition on that glorious FHD+ 650 nit Amoled display, thus rendering it redundant for such content"Does my phone play Netflix?Yes. I am happy.Lay there in bed, sat on the bus/train/plane all looks fine to me I more interested in the capability of the speed of the device (data and internal components) personally.

Yes all well and good but you clearly didn't purchase your phone for that purpose of watching content regularly. If you did and you're still happy with watching SD content on a good screen, good for you. I am just pointing this out for the many who have no clue about it. Capability of phone is not at all what I am talking about here and is a whole other discussion.
I_NEED_AIR_CON31/08/2020 08:00

6.5" and above is better, and you certainly can enjoy it with a 1080p+ …6.5" and above is better, and you certainly can enjoy it with a 1080p+ video, which is the point of such great displays. Throw in HDR and stuff on Netflix looks great. I watched Lucifer on my friend's S10 and it looked great.

on a display that small, to see the quality you would have to have it up to your face.. really enjoyable not.
Bargainhead31/08/2020 07:48

i dont get the enjoyment, trying to watch something on a 6" screen, it …i dont get the enjoyment, trying to watch something on a 6" screen, it would just spoil the programe/movie.

Its just a way of passing time on public transport. 10" tablet is my weapon of choice on a plane though. 4 hours flies by when travelling to crete.
Bargainhead31/08/2020 08:10

on a display that small, to see the quality you would have to have it up …on a display that small, to see the quality you would have to have it up to your face.. really enjoyable not.

Quite right. You wouldn't notice much difference between 480p and full HD at arms length
Bargainhead31/08/2020 08:10

on a display that small, to see the quality you would have to have it up …on a display that small, to see the quality you would have to have it up to your face.. really enjoyable not.

Lol "small". And love the sarcasm kid, but you're wrong and clearly have no idea what you're talking about, so i'll leave it at that as i've already tried explaining it to you.
MR112330/08/2020 16:21

"Technically, all Android smartphones can support L1 Widevine security, …"Technically, all Android smartphones can support L1 Widevine security, but implementation mileage may vary with lower cost smartphones that may skimp on testing times." This is confusing, anyway checked netflix link and cannot believe mate 20 pro isn't there but 10 pro is and mate 20 is. I knew my old iPhone YouTube looked better quality compared with my android.

Look within “Mate 20” and you’ll see the version codes for the Mate 20 Pro single sim and dual sim (LYA-L09 and LYA-L29), so they’re compatible.
I_NEED_AIR_CON31/08/2020 08:24

Lol "small". And love the sarcasm kid, but you're wrong and clearly have …Lol "small". And love the sarcasm kid, but you're wrong and clearly have no idea what you're talking about, so i'll leave it at that as i've already tried explaining it to you.

Sarcasm kid, I’ve probably got years on you and you need to teach yourself. I get what your posts about but there’s a thing called viewing distance. that is a small screen and to benefit from 4k on a 6.5” screen it would need to be less than a foot away to see the details clearly. @1080 you would need it 18” away.

personally sitting with a screen that close just to see is pointless. So if a phone does 480p you wouldn’t notice the difference 2ft away
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 31st Aug
Bargainhead31/08/2020 11:24

Sarcasm kid, I’ve probably got years on you and you need to teach y …Sarcasm kid, I’ve probably got years on you and you need to teach yourself. I get what your posts about but there’s a thing called viewing distance. that is a small screen and to benefit from 4k on a 6.5” screen it would need to be less than a foot away to see the details clearly. @1080 you would need it 18” away.personally sitting with a screen that close just to see is pointless. So if a phone does 480p you wouldn’t notice the difference 2ft away

You can and do notice the difference between 480p and 1080p regardless of what you are saying. You clearly haven't ever watched HD/HDR content on YouTube or elsewhere on a mobile device.
For Netflix, it will tell you what the highest quality the phone will display is in the app.

Open Netflix -> More (menu) -> App Settings -> Playback Specification
alg31/08/2020 12:07

For Netflix, it will tell you what the highest quality the phone will …For Netflix, it will tell you what the highest quality the phone will display is in the app.Open Netflix -> More (menu) -> App Settings -> Playback Specification

41797142-Fv2Va.jpg
Never knew that myself, so thanks. This is a very quick and easy way
I_NEED_AIR_CON31/08/2020 12:00

You can and do notice the difference between 480p and 1080p regardless of …You can and do notice the difference between 480p and 1080p regardless of what you are saying. You clearly haven't ever watched HD/HDR content on YouTube or elsewhere on a mobile device.

very sad, educate yourself, before trying to explain to others...
Bargainhead31/08/2020 12:59

very sad, educate yourself, before trying to explain to others...

Yawn why are you arguing? I worked in the mobile retail industry for over 6 years with daily hands on experience, and this was through the years when Android phones were first launched and 'HD' displays weren't even a thing. I know my stuff kid. You are clueless and a sheep. You telling me that watching The Matrix on an 'Orange San Francisco' is the same as on a 'OnePlus 8'? 480p or not.
Post a comment
@
    Text