Warning scam cold call from bt openreach

Found 2nd Jun
Just wanted to warn people. Today I received a cold call from bt openreach saying i had reported a problem with my broadband (i had not) . It was an indian man ringing fom a call centre i could hear a lot of indian voices in background. He wanted access to my computer to check. I said this sounds like a scam and hang up the call. Unfortunately some more gullible people may fall for this. A quick google showed this to be a common well known scam, with some people losing a lot of money. Be warned.
Community Updates
Misc
34 Comments
Just don't talk to anyone that is not known to you. If it's important they will leave a message and you can check number or look up yourself and call back. Why enter in a conversation with a possible scammer. Hi its the police. Hi its visa. Hi I'm calling from your bank. Put phone down immediately and sit on your hands
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Jun
If anyone whether they seem legitimate or not asks for (remote) access to your computer its a scam.
Edited by: "catbeans" 2nd Jun
A lot of the details of your account these scammers already have due to the telecom companies being lax with their data protection. I've had them contact me with all my virgin information and a few with my old BT account information. So much for Indian call centre's.

Best option is to ask them for your safe word I.e. blag them or tell them the engineer is outside fixing the issue. No point in upsetting these guys as they tend to turn nasty.
kester763 m ago

A lot of the details of your account these scammers already have due to …A lot of the details of your account these scammers already have due to the telecom companies being lax with their data protection. I've had them contact me with all my virgin information and a few with my old BT account information. So much for Indian call centre's.Best option is to ask them for your safe word I.e. blag them or tell them the engineer is outside fixing the issue. No point in upsetting these guys as they tend to turn nasty.

Why you asking a professional scammer questions? Put the phone down!
had these calling for months ,load of rubbish
When they say i want access to your computer i tell them i have no computer.
wayners43 m ago

Pretty much because older people tend not to do that, hence why they get fleeced. Sometimes the phone company does actually phone you.
If anyone gets this remember Openreach do not have call centres and their only customer facing people are actual engineers, so any faults it would be your service provider ringing but never someone claiming to be Openreach
kester765 m ago

Pretty much because older people tend not to do that, hence why they get …Pretty much because older people tend not to do that, hence why they get fleeced. Sometimes the phone company does actually phone you.

Yes but they don't ask for remote access to your computer.
i string these on for ages when ive nothing better to do... straight out the simpsons, "press any key, theres no any key.. i dont have an any key" etc...
wayners51 m ago

I keep them talking, just to waste their time and stop them hounding someone else.
miikeyblue3 m ago

I keep them talking, just to waste their time and stop them hounding …I keep them talking, just to waste their time and stop them hounding someone else.

I love it I managed to keep the last one going for 15 minutes before I got bored. He must have been incredibly stupid to go along with me for so long
kester7659 m ago

A lot of the details of your account these scammers already have due to …A lot of the details of your account these scammers already have due to the telecom companies being lax with their data protection. I've had them contact me with all my virgin information and a few with my old BT account information. So much for Indian call centre's.Best option is to ask them for your safe word I.e. blag them or tell them the engineer is outside fixing the issue. No point in upsetting these guys as they tend to turn nasty.

They probably have your email account password, which is how they were able to harvest the info.
I have a landline and a mobile, I never answer if it’s a withheld number or strange number. Haven’t answered a scam call in ages.
Just keep these guys going for ages, I need to turn my computer on (waits 5 mins) tell him it’s really slow (wait a further 5 mins). They then say press windows key etc, I respond with oh sorry it’s an Apple. They then give you instructions for a Mac.

They are never too impressed when you say you have an iPad and you just wasted their time
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 2nd Jun
deeky13 m ago

True but old people are more reluctant to hang up on people. It's a judgement call without trying to be rude but older people tend to struggle with that.
cmdr_elito14 m ago

They probably have your email account password, which is how they were …They probably have your email account password, which is how they were able to harvest the info.

No, I think they just had the account details but no way of accessing it. Virgin are probmatic with my emails as they randomly switch them off or swap the email address I need to access my account. Server migration is a pain.
AW00792 h, 15 m ago

When they say i want access to your computer i tell them i have no …When they say i want access to your computer i tell them i have no computer.

i once had the old you got virus on pc and i picked phone up when i kinda needed to go toilet cause you never no when it is important.

so i thought i play alone and tell her i got Windows 95, and saying yes I clicking this. after a few minutes, she realised and saying i was wasting her time, i told her your wasting my time i need a pee 😁
I get a fair few calls allegedly from Talk Talk ( i'm no longer a customer) and a quick but loud blast from the acme tornado whistle sitting next to the phone promptly dispatches them lol.
Best way to beat a scam is ask who they are calling for.

Most scams start off "Hello, this is ****, we have heard you had a problem."

If they don't address the call as "Hi, can I speak to ****" then you know the call isn't targeted at the house/occupiers.

We've had a few internet scammers in the past. When I ask for a name of resident they want they usually hang up.
Hey Mods!!! Where has my comment disappeared to?Please publish it straight away!Thank you.
Dannyrobbo3 h, 28 m ago

Just keep these guys going for ages, I need to turn my computer on (waits …Just keep these guys going for ages, I need to turn my computer on (waits 5 mins) tell him it’s really slow (wait a further 5 mins). They then say press windows key etc, I respond with oh sorry it’s an Apple. They then give you instructions for a Mac. They are never too impressed when you say you have an iPad and you just wasted their time

I have better things to do with my time though.
wayners5 h, 37 m ago

Doubt he/she has called id
My best was 3 calls in 3 weeks from an accident claim cold callers asking if I had been in accident
1st time I was on the Titanic when it sunk and I wanted compo.
2nd time I was walking along the road and a beoing 747 crashed Into my head
3rd time a meteor hit me and chopped my entire head off and I was speaking from a hole beneath my knee
Funnily enough they stopped calling soon after that

I miss the little gits !
RossD899 h, 47 m ago

I have better things to do with my time though.

I guess I don’t have anything better to do, They always call while I’m in work. But hey I’d rather Wind up a “professional” scammer than that anyway.
kester762nd Jun

Pretty much because older people tend not to do that, hence why they get …Pretty much because older people tend not to do that, hence why they get fleeced. Sometimes the phone company does actually phone you.

deeky2nd Jun

kester762nd Jun

True but old people are more reluctant to hang up on people. It's a …True but old people are more reluctant to hang up on people. It's a judgement call without trying to be rude but older people tend to struggle with that.

Some old people like to torment the caller...

miikeyblue2nd Jun

I keep them talking, just to waste their time and stop them hounding …I keep them talking, just to waste their time and stop them hounding someone else.

deeky2nd Jun

I love it I managed to keep the last one going for 15 minutes before …I love it I managed to keep the last one going for 15 minutes before I got bored. He must have been incredibly stupid to go along with me for so long

fanpages9 h, 36 m ago

Some old people like to torment the caller...

Who you calling old? Cheeky git.
Oh... Deeky. I see now.
Bluecat7862nd Jun

Hey Mods!!! Where has my comment disappeared to?Please publish it straight …Hey Mods!!! Where has my comment disappeared to?Please publish it straight away!Thank you.

[mod message]
Hi i am a mod, I'm having trouble bringing back your comment, PM your account details and ill fix it straight away.
Bluecat78612 m ago

Hi everyone can people confirm if "catbeans" above is a mod!!??or not? Lol

Not a mod no.
Snakeyes6463 h, 42 m ago

Not a mod no.

Bluecat7862nd Jun

Hey Mods!!! Where has my comment disappeared to?Please publish it straight …Hey Mods!!! Where has my comment disappeared to?Please publish it straight away!Thank you.

Damn was a joke, thought it was obvious given the thread topic.
catbeans4 m ago

Damn was a joke, thought it was obvious given the thread topic.

I thought it was for real if it wasn't for snakeeyes!!
It would not surprise me if the call center is actually paid by a UK company,not to scam them but provide customer care, but the workers take advantage and use the system to call UK customers and try to scan them. A few years ago I switched my internet provider to talk talk, within days my phone never stopped from callers with foreign accents telling me I had a computer virus and for £48 they could remove virus.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants