Expired

* WARNING* Silvercrest Mens Rotary Shaver Model SRR 03 A2 £16.99 @ Lidl

Found 16th Sep 2014
I was going to post this as a great deal ....... a Mens Shaver for £16.99 - sounds good!?

This is now a warning - the shaver is Silvercrest Model SRR 03 A2 .... available from yesterday in LIDL stores.

I bought one last night, plugged it into the mains to charge, there was a bright white flash from the shaver and a loud bang.

I was holding it at the time and dropped it onto the bed. I unplugged the plug from the mains. The 3 Amp fuse had not blown which I find odd.

Test yours now if you have bought one - mine cannot be the only faulty one out there. It could hurt someone if used in the damp environment of a bathroom!

54 Comments

added heat for awareness. Might be worth adding WARNING to title?

Return to Lidl citing health and safety and trading standards. The more fuss you kick up the more shopping vouchers they will give you to shut you up! Get in there quick before they do a full recall!
Watched a programme on dodgy imported electrical goods and trading standards would certainly be interested to know about a big retailer like Lidl knocking them out!

Banned

Yep definitely a dodgy socket.

You purchased the wrong model....

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_B8vBSjS07XdeYPjei3hqT4rZRkIZKDZLUZl7yWJimJLniv46_zrmbY-AG2ItZbAQDc=h900

MrRee

a Mens Shaver for £16.99 - sounds good!?

Wrong. Sounds like what you got - rubbish.

MrRee

a Mens Shaver for £16.99 - sounds good!?

deeky

Wrong. Sounds like what you got - rubbish.

Sounds like a close shave to... oh.

More bang for your... no.

scotty22

Return to Lidl citing health and safety and trading standards. The more … Return to Lidl citing health and safety and trading standards. The more fuss you kick up the more shopping vouchers they will give you to shut you up! Get in there quick before they do a full recall!Watched a programme on dodgy imported electrical goods and trading standards would certainly be interested to know about a big retailer like Lidl knocking them out!

Sounds like a 3 Amp fuse is insufficient for the appliance.

Edited by: "fanpages" 16th Sep 2014

Original Poster

3 AMP Fuse didn't blow so therefore it is sufficient.

LIDL's stuff is usually top notch so I bought with confidence
Edited by: "MrRee" 16th Sep 2014

MrRee

3 AMP Fuse didn't blow so therefore it is sufficient.LIDL's stuff is … 3 AMP Fuse didn't blow so therefore it is sufficient.LIDL's stuff is usually top notch so I bought with confidence

So this could be the first time whatsThePoint is correct.

Where is my diary? I must make a note of it.

Found it... made a note of where it was. Thanks.

Original Poster

By socket, you mean socket on the shaver?

I'm not sure, as a short there would have blown the fuse in the plug (unless there is a lower Amperage fuse in the shaver which blew?).

Scared the cr4p out of me and I dropped the thing onto the bed .... if I had dropped it on the floor and it had opened it would have been worse!

Banned

MrRee

By socket, you mean socket on the shaver?Scared the cr4p out of me and I … By socket, you mean socket on the shaver?Scared the cr4p out of me and I dropped the thing onto the bed .... if I had dropped it on the floor and it had opened it would have been worse!

Lucky you weren't in the bath.

Before you contact Lidly, consider taking a photo of you pulling a sad face and holding the shaver up to the camera and sending it to The Daily Mail. Make sure you emphasise that the shaver could have caused a fire resulting in all the houses in your street being burnt down.

Don't forget to inform The Daily Mail the vaue of your home.

Original Poster

Has this been removed from the site, I can't see it anymore?

This warning could save someone from injury if they have bought this item - it has only been on sale since yesterday I understand - it's imperrative that people take care when connecting to the mains, LIDL's could well have a faulty batch!

I'm going to contact them when I can ... too busy working and cannot get to a private phone

Should it go to Trading Standards?

Edited by: "MrRee" 16th Sep 2014

fanpages

So this could be the first time whatsThePoint is correct.Where is my … So this could be the first time whatsThePoint is correct.Where is my diary? I must make a note of it.Found it... made a note of where it was. Thanks.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/avatars/Top.gif

Original Poster

WTF?

It could be the plug socket or it could be the wiring going into the plug. The only time I've had something go bang like that is when the wire going into the plug was damaged and I hadn't noticed. Don't think the fuse blew then either. Definitely worth sending back and seeing what they say.

Original Poster

STILL waiting for LIDL to come back to me ....... I expect more from LIDL to be honest.

Bought one 2 days ago - works fine.....

Original Poster

That's good.

Mine cannot be the only faulty/dangerous one is my concern.

Still awaiting LIDL's to come back to me.

Original Poster

You are making no sense ..... ??

Original Poster

LIDL are being really slow in their Customer Services .... they were good, are they now too big to care anymore?

I hope they don't go the way of others ... get complacent when they think they do not need to attract Customers anymore!?

MrRee

That's good.Mine cannot be the only faulty/dangerous one is my … That's good.Mine cannot be the only faulty/dangerous one is my concern.Still awaiting LIDL's to come back to me.

what if it was

an isolated one that slipped through the net....

but also as pointed out have you had an electrician check that there is no fault with your sockets/ circuits ?

Original Poster

Sockets are fine, the shaver itself flashed and banged ...... not the other end of the coiled lead to the mains socket!

LIDL have now responded with a letter saying take it back and get your purchase price back ... what? .... I could have done that anyway - I want them to take it much more seriously than that.

Maybe get an Electrician to have a look at it and write a report?
Edited by: "MrRee" 25th Sep 2014

Probably better to contact trading standards.

MrRee

Sockets are fine, the shaver itself flashed and banged ...... not the … Sockets are fine, the shaver itself flashed and banged ...... not the other end of the coiled lead to the mains socket!LIDL have now responded with a letter saying take it back and get your purchase price back ... what? .... I could have done that anyway - I want them to take it much more seriously than that.Maybe get an Electrician to have a look at it and write a report?

Sometimes items are faulty, it happens, it sounds to me like you are severely over-reacting on this, they have offered you a refund which you could have got without all this crying anyway, take it back get a refund and move on. Its not like anyone else has reported the same issue so more than likely a one off occurrence.

No one was killed or even injured, there was no damage whats the big issue here? Was you hoping for compo?

melted

Probably better to contact trading standards.

On what grounds? He purchased an item that was faulty, its not like he was conned and they have offered him a refund as per consumer law. More than likely a one off as there seem to be no other reports of similar incidents. Why waste the time of trading standards, don't you think its more important that they deal with traders that are intentionally ripping customers off or doing shoddy work especially when their victims tend to be the more vulnerable members of society such as the elderly.

Oh noes I bought a faulty item and was offered a full refund, lets report them to trading standards for fulling their legal obligations. (_;)

harlzter

On what grounds? He purchased an item that was faulty, its not like he … On what grounds? He purchased an item that was faulty, its not like he was conned and they have offered him a refund as per consumer law. More than likely a one off as there seem to be no other reports of similar incidents. Why waste the time of trading standards, don't you think its more important that they deal with traders that are intentionally ripping customers off or doing shoddy work especially when their victims tend to be the more vulnerable members of society such as the elderly.Oh noes I bought a faulty item and was offered a full refund, lets report them to trading standards for fulling their legal obligations. (_;)

Are not Trading Standards also responsible for making sure products sold in the UK comply to the relevant electrical standards and so forth. If the case stayed intact, and no live parts were exposed, or flame or molten metal ejected, then it probably ain't that serious, but it is for the OP to judge if taking back is not sufficient.

Edited by: "melted" 25th Sep 2014

Original Poster

How do we know if this has not happened to others?

It could be a common fault, it could be 1 isolated incident (highly unlikely on a production line item), could be a batch wrong .... some may blow straight away as mine did, some may blow after a few inserts of the mains lead.

Some may even become really dangerous and hurt someone ..... we simply don't know.

I'm wondering which way will protect the most people ....... sending it back to LIDL means I don't have the shaver anymore - no chance then to have my own investigation done.

On mine, the case is intact and there are no exposed wires ..... the fuse in the plug is intact too, which I find really odd - there may be an internal fuse of a lower rating of course.

melted

Are not Trading Standards also responsible for making sure products sold … Are not Trading Standards also responsible for making sure products sold in the UK comply to the relevant electrical standards

No its up to the retailers to ensure that anything they sell complies with consumer regulation. Trading standards are responsible for dealing with any breaches, for what seems a one off then they wont care, who is to say that something didn't happen to the one individual item say it got dropped a customer and something broke or came loose inside, the line will have gone through a QC process but after that a multitude of things could have caused the issue reported from unseen accidental damage to a power spike.

I also find it strange that OP states

The 3 Amp fuse had not blown which I find odd.

really? a fuse rated at up to 720w on a shaver, a shaver should be on a 1A fuse, I cant find the manual for this exact model (SRR 03 A2) but the one for the SRR 03 A1 rates consumption as 4W
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/shaver_zps2a7197da.jpg

Maybe if OP had used the correct rated fuse it would have done the job intended and blown thus protecting the shaver, maybe/maybe not.

Original Poster

WHAT???????????

The fuse was what it came with, you will note that I plugged it in very soon after buying it - why on earth would I even look at the fuse let alone change it? I checked the fuse after the incident.

4 Watts means it will pull 0.016A ..... seems low to me?

Anyway, the fuse in the Shaver as supplied in the shop is 3 Amps ..... nothing to do with me. But, I agree, 1 Amp would seem a safer value ...... unless, as I stated, there is a lower current fuse in the shaver which may have blown thus protecting the main plug fuse of 3 Amps?

MrRee

WHAT???????????The fuse was what it came with, you will note that I … WHAT???????????The fuse was what it came with, you will note that I plugged it in very soon after buying it - why on earth would I even look at the fuse let alone change it? I checked the fuse after the incident.4 Watts means it will pull 0.016A ..... seems low to me?Anyway, the fuse in the Shaver as supplied in the shop is 3 Amps ..... nothing to do with me. But, I agree, 1 Amp would seem a safer value ...... unless, as I stated, there is a lower current fuse in the shaver which may have blown thus protecting the main plug fuse of 3 Amps?

If that is the fuse it came with then yes thats a serious issue, the fuse in the plug should be the first to blow, internal fuses generally protect the charging circuitry/batteries.

Original Poster

That would explain why the shaver flashed and banged .... maybe a 1A fuse would have blown saving an internal electrical flash/bang?

I wonder if others have been fitted with a 3 Amp fuse? They should recall them all if they do!

A fuse in a plug is there to protect the cable. Providing the cable is rated at 3A or more (and I expect it will be) a 3 amp fuse is fine. Although a lower rated fuse on such a low current appliance could be a better choice, a fuse wouldn't melt quickly enough to stop your shaver going bang.

Electrical goods imported into the UK will need to be cleared by Trading Standards and undergo a destruction test. However, they will test only a very small batch from a particular container load. If that one passes then the shipment will be cleared.
A retailer like Lidl would do a complete recall on this product if the problem were widespread as they would rather their customers be safe than to make the small margin they get on a cheap shaver. Product recalls go on all the time. I think last time I was in lidl they had a couple of posters about recalls.
If the OP had originally taken it back to lidl they would have got their money back no worries. If they had caused a massive scene got the manager out and really kicked off they probably would have got a refund as well as shopping coupons. It all depends whether you mind creating a scene or not but generally shops like to pay for the problem to go away and won't stand arguing on the shop floor! You are in the right as the customer generally is!

Yes the electrical problem may be your socket at home, but if other appliances work in it then that can't be the issue. No-one should be expected to put in a different fuse into a new appliance! The fuse should blow regardless as this is what cuts the electrical supply. If this does not happen it is very dangerous! Hs it got the CE nmarking as quoted below from gov website?

"Consumer safety regulations
Goods imported into the UK must comply with domestic safety regulations and standards. For example, imported household electrical products must comply with three sets of consumer safety regulations which are enforced by Trading Standards:

Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994
Plugs and Sockets, etc (Safety) Regulations 1994
Gas Appliances (Safety) Regulations 1995
While standards are not compulsory for many goods in the industry, CE marking is a legal requirement for some equipment, eg most types of consumer electronics, phones, computers, and medical devices. Read about standards and technical regulations for imported technology goods on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) website."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets_-_British_and_related_types#Fuses

There are two common misconceptions about the purpose of the fuse in a BS 1363 plug, one is that it protects the appliance connected to the plug, and the other is that it protects against overloading. In fact the fuse is there to protect the flexible cord between the plug and the appliance under fault conditions

Original Poster

They want me to send it back to them now.

I will now have no shaver and no refund!!
Edited by: "MrRee" 27th Sep 2014

Did you get anywhere with this? mine just went snap crackle pop this morning. Shame as it was a good shave for the cost.

MrRee

They want me to send it back to them now.I will now have no shaver and no … They want me to send it back to them now.I will now have no shaver and no refund!!

take it back instore gets refund and get them to send it back internally

Original Poster

They have sent it back to Germany for inspection - I think they have big issues with Silvercrest rubbish quality.

I bought an electric toothbrush as the same time - it has now started turning on by itself now!!!

LIDL need to be very careful .... they are starting to sell utter rubbish - it's not how it used to be

Lidl have always sold generic chinese goods of varying quality. Most are fit for purpose but some are quite poor. I've had a few items of poor construction that had to be returned. A pvr that kept freezing, a dvd player that wouldn't read discs very well, various DIY tools that turned out weaker than expected. Often though its the same product as sold elsewhere at a slightly better price with a 3 year guarantee with it but still some of it is poor.

Original Poster

I was always very pleased with LIDL's stuff ... food and non-food.

They seem to have slipped quite badly now ... it's what normally happens, Companies get greedy and cut costs and quality chasing an even fatter profit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions