Groups

WARNING! Sony ericsson's purchased from Play.com warranty issues.

I am posting this to make people aware that if you purchase a Sony Ericsson mobile phone from Play, the manufacturers warranty is useless.
    I bought a W580i from Play, it developed a fault after 10 mths. I rang Play who said to get in touch with SE. After doing so SE stated that they will not cover ANY WARRANTY ON ANY SE PHONE purchased from Play as they are not an authorised dealer. So, Play will only let you return a faulty phone within the first month, afetr that, tough basically, so much for SE's 2 year warranty. I am still trying to get this fixed, my next move is Trading standards.
    By the way this is the case if you buy any Sony phone from a non authorised dealer, Amazon included.
    Thought I would post this just so you know.

18 Comments

Try taking it into carphone warehouse and ask how much it will be to repair....I took mine in ages ago and they told me that as it was still in the manufacturer warranty time so they could sort it for free (even though it was a crack in the screen and not an actual manufacturer fault).
    They didnt know where I got the phone from, and didnt mind I didnt buy it from them....I had actually got it off a friend and had no idea where they got it from (:?)
    Point being...worth a try there before wasting time at trading standards

Original Poster

lil_tiger;5163659

Try taking it into carphone warehouse and ask how much it will be to … Try taking it into carphone warehouse and ask how much it will be to repair....I took mine in ages ago and they told me that as it was still in the manufacturer warranty time so they could sort it for free (even though it was a crack in the screen and not an actual manufacturer fault).They didnt know where I got the phone from, and didnt mind I didnt buy it from them....I had actually got it off a friend and had no idea where they got it from (:?)Point being...worth a try there before wasting time at trading standards

Thanks for that but I'm not giving into Play just yet.

willocks;5163699

Thanks for that but I'm not giving into Play just yet.

OK, just thought I would mention it....if my phone was broke getting it fixed would be the priority...then kicking off with the company...good luck though

I had a SE phone from Play that developed a fault after about 8 months and I had no problem returning it under warranty for repair to Kuehne & Nagel (I think they were called). They returned it really quickly and even included a couple of freebies as an apology.

Original Poster

kingy58;5163761

I had a SE phone from Play that developed a fault after about 8 months … I had a SE phone from Play that developed a fault after about 8 months and I had no problem returning it under warranty for repair to Kuehne & Nagel (I think they were called). They returned it really quickly and even included a couple of freebies as an apology.

That's the exact same company who have told me warranty void, mad!

Original Poster

Jumpingphil;5163818

Your issue is with Play and not SE. It is Play you bought the phone … Your issue is with Play and not SE. It is Play you bought the phone from.Seek help from trading standards. They should be able to advise you as what to do next and how to go about it. :thumbsup:

Going to contact TS monday, thanks for advice.

Usually, retailers must provide warranty upon an electrical product for the first year of its life. I don't know how this affects Play.com, as they're based in Jersey, but Jersey law is fairly similar to here...

Play.com is based in Jersey, Jersey is a parliamentary democracy which is a dependency of the British Crown. It is a British island, but is not part of the United Kingdom. Jersey is not a member of the European Union, but enjoys a special relationship with it.

So the ]consumer rights that apply to UK and EU countries may not apply to your Play transaction, which was covered by Jersey Law.

I wish that this site would take some responsibility and put a clear warning on all references to foreign companies that members do not have the same consumer protection as when buying from a UK company. This is especially pertinent when they are also taking a referral commission from that same company.

Original Poster

melipona;5164166

Play.com is based in Jersey, Jersey is a parliamentary democracy which is … Play.com is based in Jersey, Jersey is a parliamentary democracy which is a dependency of the British Crown. It is a British island, but is not part of the United Kingdom. Jersey is not a member of the European Union, but enjoys a special relationship with it.So the ]consumer rights that apply to UK and EU countries may not apply to your Play transaction, which was covered by Jersey Law.I wish that this site would take some responsibility and put a clear warning on all references to foreign companies that members do not have the same consumer protection as when buying from a UK company. This is especially pertinent when they are also taking a referral commission from that same company.

Very good point.

Original Poster

Thanks Deanos.

I know its a different company but i bought a phone from Littlewoods you know the catalogue. Our k800i developed a fault after like 8 months and i rang them uo and they gave me the number for O2... o2??? wtf just because it was on 02 they in turn gave me the number for sony S/E. Back and forth i got onto littlewoods and explained that myu contract was with THEM and not o2 and not S/E , they took it back in the end and i got my money back the lot even thiough i'd used a money off coupon. hehe.

However its the whole Jersey thing i s'pose, just keep telling them that your contract is with the. good luck x

Original Poster

Good for you superskilly, well done.

Bit naughty, could you buy the same item from another retailer and return your faulty one for a refund?

Just phone play again and tell them they wont take it back as play arent a authorised seller.
    I had a samsung tv that developed a fault and after countless repairs play took it back and refunded me.
    Although that was after about 4months.

Jumpingphil;5163818

Your issue is with Play and not SE. It is Play you bought the phone … Your issue is with Play and not SE. It is Play you bought the phone from.Seek help from trading standards. They should be able to advise you as what to do next and how to go about it. :thumbsup:

Any electrical product after 30 days Play do not want to know about it....

I know, but when I have contacted the manufacturer in the past they have obliged...

maxmix

Gust take it into a CPW repair centre, before the 12 months, they will sort it quickly... No get your knickers in a twist over play.

superskilly;5165372

I know its a different company but i bought a phone from Littlewoods you … I know its a different company but i bought a phone from Littlewoods you know the catalogue. Our k800i developed a fault after like 8 months and i rang them uo and they gave me the number for O2... o2??? wtf just because it was on 02 they in turn gave me the number for sony S/E. Back and forth i got onto littlewoods and explained that myu contract was with THEM and not o2 and not S/E , they took it back in the end and i got my money back the lot even thiough i'd used a money off coupon. hehe.However its the whole Jersey thing i s'pose, just keep telling them that your contract is with the. good luck x

I got my SE from Littlewoods but when it broke I contacted them for a replacement - they were out of stock so offered me a refund. I couldn't replace the phone for the refund money so I just downloaded the repair form from the SE website and sent ot off to Keune & Nagel. Returned absolutely fixed fine just 5 days later.
    I can't grumble about Littlewoods OR the repair process. Just thought a good report is worthy every now & again to balance out the arguments.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2340
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1629
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764473
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)1415

See more discussions