Expired

WARNING T-mobile internet fair useage changed!!!

Found 11th Sep 2013
Woke up this morning to find I had been cut off my mobile internet and need to buy a booster due to exceeding my fair useage policy. I was on the 250mb basic internet and in the past 18 months everytime I go over I can continue to browse and email. I am mid contract. After being on the phone with t-mobile for 40mins (who deny anything has changed!!) I got lucky and the guy gave me the full monty plan with the 1hr of 08 numbers to shut me up for only £7.49 a month (that's a discount of £18.50)!

If this happens to you I suggest you get on the phone and hassle them as they are not allowed to change t&cs mid contract.

UPDATE
When you have reached your limit the next time you log on it will send you to a t-zones page selling boosters which annoyingly the icons show a ? so you can't see what your pressing. Click on the top one to continue using email and browsing without any charge (not sure if this is 250mb or unlimited yet). Shame they didn't tell their customer services staff about this would have saved me and the guy on the phone a lot of hassle!!

From their T&Cs

REACHING YOUR FAIR USE POLICY

We’ll send you a text to let you know you’ve reached your Fair Use Policy and we’ll redirect your next browsing session to an information page.

Even after you have reached your Fair Use Policy, you’ll still be able to use your Mobile Broadband for text and image based browsing and emailing. So you can still browse websites, log in to Facebook, check your Hotmail or view the news on the BBC - and we won’t charge you any extra.

Temporarily, however, you won't be able to do heavy usage activities such as watching videos or downloading files. These activities are more suited to your fixed-line home broadband.
RESETTING YOUR DATA USAGE

How long the temporary restriction on heavy usage lasts will depend on what kind of Mobile Broadband you have. If you’re on a pay monthly plan, it’ll last for the rest of the calendar month. If you’re on our pay per day service, it lasts for the length of time left on your pass.

When your Fair Use Policy begins again your data usage will be reset to zero and your service will return to normal.

T-Mobile is still the only operator offering unlimited browsing and emailing, and not automatically charging expensive run-on rates after reaching your Fair Use Policy.

DATA EXAMPLES

The following table gives you an indication of the level of usage you could expect to get (each of the below equate to the relevant data amount):

Fair Usage Policy Web browsing time (average 3 web
pages per minute @100Kb each) Number of emails with
photo attached (1Mb) Number of songs downloaded
(1 song = 5Mb MP3 file)
500Mb Approx. 30 hours Approx. 500 Approx. 100
1Gb Approx. 60 hours Approx. 1000 Approx. 200
Community Updates
MiscT-Mobile
32 Comments
But it doesnt sound like they've changed the T&C - it just sounds like they've started to enforce them
deviouspaul

But it doesnt sound like they've changed the T&C - it just sounds like … But it doesnt sound like they've changed the T&C - it just sounds like they've started to enforce them

This, just because you go over the 250mb allowance, it doesnt mean they will cut you off from using the internet, they should just charge you for the extra.. If you go over it very infrequently they wont mind, but it sounds like you do it constantly.. So they would be well within their rights to charge you.

Fair usage should really only apply to 'unlimited' internet deals really anyway, as its a way of stopping people using gb after gb of data. The fair usage for a 250mb limit should really be 250
Edited by: "winifer" 11th Sep 2013
From their T&Cs

REACHING YOUR FAIR USE POLICY

We’ll send you a text to let you know you’ve reached your Fair Use Policy and we’ll redirect your next browsing session to an information page.

Even after you have reached your Fair Use Policy, you’ll still be able to use your Mobile Broadband for text and image based browsing and emailing. So you can still browse websites, log in to Facebook, check your Hotmail or view the news on the BBC - and we won’t charge you any extra.

Temporarily, however, you won't be able to do heavy usage activities such as watching videos or downloading files. These activities are more suited to your fixed-line home broadband.
So you exceded your agreed useage and now you need to pay up?
Babbabooey

So you exceded your agreed useage and now you need to pay up?

I only wanted to continue browsing and emailing as I have always been allowed to before and as their policy states.
How can you have a fair usage policy on an agreed usage of 250mb?
FUP applies to "unlimited" items. You can't have a 250mb limit and FUP at the same time. There would be no point in having a 250mb limit then
dimebars

FUP applies to "unlimited" items. You can't have a 250mb limit and FUP at … FUP applies to "unlimited" items. You can't have a 250mb limit and FUP at the same time. There would be no point in having a 250mb limit then

glad you pointed out the glaringly obvious

A lot of people took out this tariff due to the fact that they didn't restrict your internet browsing once you went over your limit. The 250mb is for downloading and streaming but everything else is unlimited (or was!!)

RossD89

How can you have a fair usage policy on an agreed usage of 250mb?

winifer

This, just because you go over the 250mb allowance, it doesnt mean they … This, just because you go over the 250mb allowance, it doesnt mean they will cut you off from using the internet, they should just charge you for the extra.. If you go over it very infrequently they wont mind, but it sounds like you do it constantly.. So they would be well within their rights to charge you.Fair usage should really only apply to 'unlimited' internet deals really anyway, as its a way of stopping people using gb after gb of data. The fair usage for a 250mb limit should really be 250

You can set with tesco mobile a limit to not charge extra (as I have on my daughters phone, but she gets 1GB anyhow) - so I assumed OP had done this.......... end of the day the FUP as stated above is for unlimited so doesn't apply on a 250mb contract.........
deviouspaul

You can set with tesco mobile a limit to not charge extra (as I have on … You can set with tesco mobile a limit to not charge extra (as I have on my daughters phone, but she gets 1GB anyhow) - so I assumed OP had done this.......... end of the day the FUP as stated above is for unlimited so doesn't apply on a 250mb contract.........

Been doing this for 18months

Fair Use Policy for mobile broadband

However much you use the internet, you'll never get charged extra
We're the only operator to offer you a fixed price for browsing and emailing on your mobile broadband connection with no limits and no extra charges.

Never pay more than your monthly fixed price
You can always browse and email with no limits
Perfect for getting online when you're out and about
Is there an allowance?
You can browse and email as much as you want.

Your plan will come with an allowance which varies depending on the plan that you select however we will not charge you if you go over your allowance. If they go over their allowance we will not charge any extra or prevent them from using the internet however we may restrict their usage on downloads and streaming.

If you've bought a tablet, iPad or iPad 2 on a pay monthly plan, you'll get 1GB of data to use a month. But, great news for night owls; you'll also get an extra 1GB 'quiet time' allowance to use between midnight and 10a.m.
I'm on Tmobile and a few months ago on one occasion when I tethered my iPad through my phone intermittently over a weekend it triggered the warning text from them too. I ignored it and thereafter everything carried on as normal.
Mmm so when I try to get on the internet I am sent to a t-zones webpage asking me to buy boosters. 1 of the choices is 250mb email and browsing only but the icons are shown as ? so didn't want to press it. So I gave in and pressed it and it has added my internet back on with email and browsing. All that hassle for nothing (well not for nothing it got me full monty for free!!)

EDIT its actually another 250mb not unlimited like it used to be.

Edited by: "sherbolton" 11th Sep 2013
I have heard than when you go over your limit and they restrict you to just browsing and emails a VPN will get around the video cap.
ive had the same message today. ive had my current plan for almost 3 years now and when I go away with work I often use my phone to tether.

never had a problem until today and I have unlimited internet. will be complaining later.
mclovin9091

ive had the same message today. ive had my current plan for almost 3 … ive had the same message today. ive had my current plan for almost 3 years now and when I go away with work I often use my phone to tether.never had a problem until today and I have unlimited internet. will be complaining later.

See my update above. Customer services was hard work wasted a lot of my morning.
I would check if it is unlimited or not as it used to be. If not get on to them and they might put you on full monty (this has no tethering though)

I'm hoping they will honour the discounts when it comes to upgrade time which they did last year but it wasn't as much of a discount as this is.
Edited by: "sherbolton" 11th Sep 2013

I got lucky and the guy gave me the full monty plan with the 1hr of 08 … I got lucky and the guy gave me the full monty plan with the 1hr of 08 numbers to shut me up for only £7.49 a month (that's a discount of £18.50)!

LUCKY ****!
the answer is upgrade to EE 4G then you can go through your 250MB in seconds
I'm trying out 1 of the 4GEE preloaded simcards on a tablet at the moment
90days access for £22 (from Ebay) the allowance is 6GB so only suitable
for light usage obviously but if your contract was for 250mb then you should be ok

Edited by: "Dark.Energy" 11th Sep 2013
sherbolton

See my update above. Customer services was hard work wasted a lot of my … See my update above. Customer services was hard work wasted a lot of my morning.I would check if it is unlimited or not as it used to be. If not get on to them and they might put you on full monty (this has no tethering though)I'm hoping they will honour the discounts when it comes to upgrade time which they did last year but it wasn't as much of a discount as this is.

The full montys no good for me as i need to tether when i am away with work, sod watching tv on my phone screen.

Also i noticed that even after I followed their link and clicked on the 'free' one, i can still tether and stream tv channels. Not sure if its a mistake or they are just hoping that people will not try to still stream tv and films after they get the message form T-mob.
mclovin9091

The full montys no good for me as i need to tether when i am away with … The full montys no good for me as i need to tether when i am away with work, sod watching tv on my phone screen.Also i noticed that even after I followed their link and clicked on the 'free' one, i can still tether and stream tv channels. Not sure if its a mistake or they are just hoping that people will not try to still stream tv and films after they get the message form T-mob.

On my old 250mb one I could tether even though I wasn't supposed to be able to. Not sure how they can tell.
Easiest way for them to control it is to block the phone from doing it, so if you get an upgrade from them and stay with the stock ROM. Way around is to hack your phone and install a Custom ROM, can be very dodgy if you don't know what your doing so im not recommending anyone try.
I just got the message that I had exceeded fair use...
My plan is unlimited .....unlimited is what I expect ....how can I exceed a limit ????

I don't download anything. No music. Videos. Just play candy crush in quiet moments. Listen to radio for half hour in Mng on way to work. Look at emails. Facebook. And I have just used my limit. Had plan for 4 years. This only started in January a colleague at work looked at the graph on my phone. What is going on?
Same as Rayne53, had unlimited internet plan for 4 years and all of a sudden t-mobile texted today at 8:00am saying I have used my booster and must purchase a new one.
Funnily enough, my monthly circle expired last night so if I click on the link, it says the booster is active and there's no boosters I can purchase !?!
Did you find out anything Rayne53? Any suggestions anyone?
Rayne53

I don't download anything. No music. Videos. Just play candy crush in … I don't download anything. No music. Videos. Just play candy crush in quiet moments. Listen to radio for half hour in Mng on way to work. Look at emails. Facebook. And I have just used my limit. Had plan for 4 years. This only started in January a colleague at work looked at the graph on my phone. What is going on?

Same as Rayne53, had unlimited internet plan for 4 years and all of a sudden t-mobile texted today at 8:00am saying I have used my booster and must purchase a new one.
Funnily enough, my monthly circle expired last night so if I click on the link, it says the booster is active and there's no boosters I can purchase !?!
Did you find out anything Rayne53? Any suggestions anyone?
Andy0039

Same as Rayne53, had unlimited internet plan for 4 years and all of a … Same as Rayne53, had unlimited internet plan for 4 years and all of a sudden t-mobile texted today at 8:00am saying I have used my booster and must purchase a new one.Funnily enough, my monthly circle expired last night so if I click on the link, it says the booster is active and there's no boosters I can purchase !?!Did you find out anything Rayne53? Any suggestions anyone?

Well neither Martin431 or Rayne53 have returned since asking the question (usually the case)...the last 'proper' member posted over 10 months ago.
Have you thought about contacting T-Mobile and/or going on their forums since we don't work for T-Mobile?
Well neither Martin431 or Rayne53 have returned since asking the question (usually the case)...the last 'proper' member posted over 10 months ago.Have you thought about contacting T-Mobile and/or going on their forums since we don't work for T-Mobile?[/quote]

@Demonmeister I know you guys do not work for t-mobile, I just thought the benefit of this thread was sharing useful info based of personal experiences (Martin431 or Rayne53 possibly found the answer to my query over the last 10 months).
I hope to hear from them as according to previous posts, very little can be found online about this topic and t-mobile customer care are a huge waste of time.
Andy0039

Well neither Martin431 or Rayne53 have returned since asking the question … Well neither Martin431 or Rayne53 have returned since asking the question (usually the case)...the last 'proper' member posted over 10 months ago.Have you thought about contacting T-Mobile and/or going on their forums since we don't work for T-Mobile?

@Demonmeister I know you guys do not work for t-mobile, I just thought the benefit of this thread was sharing useful info based of personal experiences (Martin431 or Rayne53 possibly found the answer to my query over the last 10 months).
I hope to hear from them as according to previous posts, very little can be found online about this topic and t-mobile customer care are a huge waste of time.[/quote]

You may be fortunate enough that a member may come along to help, but I really wouldn't hold any hope out that Martin431 or Rayne53 will ever visit this thread again....

You may find it a lot quicker to just e-mail/call T-mobile and ask them what's goin on as I can imagine it'd be well frustrating....

You may be waiting a long time for (or maybe never get) a reply on here..
Andy0039

Well neither Martin431 or Rayne53 have returned since asking the question … Well neither Martin431 or Rayne53 have returned since asking the question (usually the case)...the last 'proper' member posted over 10 months ago.Have you thought about contacting T-Mobile and/or going on their forums since we don't work for T-Mobile?

I hope to hear from them as according to previous posts, very little can be found online about this topic and t-mobile customer care are a huge waste of time.[/quote]

Sorry can't help. I switched to unlimited and its so slow I am always on wifi now.
im on tmobile pay as u go. i got a txt sayin in 90% into my policy. neva had it b4. bin with them 6 yrs. does not state wen iv brought a booster its limited it says unlimited so i find that fulse avertising!!!!!!!
colleen100

im on tmobile pay as u go. i got a txt sayin in 90% into my policy. neva … im on tmobile pay as u go. i got a txt sayin in 90% into my policy. neva had it b4. bin with them 6 yrs. does not state wen iv brought a booster its limited it says unlimited so i find that fulse avertising!!!!!!!

It also looks like your mobile telephone keypad may be faulty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants