Expired

Warranty Exchange Monitor - Lenovo Sent Me A Monitor With A North American Plug But Tell Me The Transformer Is Universal. Which "Mickey Mouse"/"Kettle" Plug Do I Buy?​

Found 8th Dec 2017Edited by:"louiselouise"
As above. I've had a dead pixel from new with my monitor - Lenovo took some time sourcing a new one, but finally sent a replacement today.

To my dismay there's a North American "kettle"/clover leaf/mickey mouse (that's what they call 'em!) plug in the box!! I thought my old Samsung monitor's plug would do temporarily but it's a different fitting (IEC C13, I think?).

This is the power supply I received:
2850611.jpg2850611.jpgIs this the one I should be looking for? amazon.co.uk/Bla…ZGK
2850611.jpgThanks for any help - useful to know so I buy one that's safe (dodgy cables out there), online or in store would be good - though I get the feeling Maplin will probably charge funny money.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
It’s called an IEC C5 with a draw of 1.5A so low power. This will do it

Link
Didn't you get a plug with it ?
Dannyrobbo9 m ago

It’s called an IEC C5 with a draw of 1.5A so low power. This will do i …It’s called an IEC C5 with a draw of 1.5A so low power. This will do itLink

Thanks very much From a "drawer of cables" I've magicked up an old laptop cable, but it has a 13 amp fuse. Lenovo just told me to go get my own - all they did was send out a UPS tracking link...no documentation or communication (return labels for the old monitor in the new monitor's box - had to cut it open with the UPS guy waiting around).

Their warranty service is great, communication and follow up is pretty poor, though!
Edited by: "louiselouise" 8th Dec 2017
louiselouise13 m ago

Thanks very much From a "drawer of cables" I've magicked up an old …Thanks very much From a "drawer of cables" I've magicked up an old laptop cable, but it has a 13 amp fuse. Lenovo just told me to go get my own - all they did was send out a UPS tracking link...no documentation or communication (return labels for the old monitor in the new monitor's box - had to cut it open with the UPS guy waiting around).Their warranty service is great, communication and follow up is pretty poor, though!

Fuse is rated for the cable as the monitor has an internal fuse. So unless someone has swapped the fuse out you should be fine.
I'll buy another cable to keep the laptop cable I've pinched this from "complete", but luckily it works with this new monitor - no dead pixels! Yay!

Thanks for your help, kester76 and Dannyrobbo I'll get one when I'm doing a CPC order.
kester762 h, 18 m ago

Didn't you get a plug with it ?

There was a plug with it, the end was a North American plug - as mentioned in the subject header Like this: 32680038-TaIeJ.jpg
louiselouise21 m ago

There was a plug with it, the end was a North American plug - as mentioned …There was a plug with it, the end was a North American plug - as mentioned in the subject header Like this: [Image]

Just lop the plug off and fit another with a 3amp fuse.
kester764 m ago

Just lop the plug off and fit another with a 3amp fuse.

I've got a bag of (new) UK plugs and an assortment of fuses, oh well, that's another one to do (seeing as Amazon Warehouse seem to like shipping out goods with EU plugs ). I'll give that a go, saves me buying another lead.
Do you not just have your old one, if not just either cut it and put a uk plug on or get an adaptor plenty of places use them.

amazon.co.uk/Mas…ter

or you you can buy the cables separately just check it’s the right one. Lenovo should really send you one.
amazon.co.uk/Sta…ble
eslick4 m ago

Do you not just have your old one, if not just either cut it and put a uk …Do you not just have your old one, if not just either cut it and put a uk plug on or get an adaptor plenty of places use them.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-Travel-TAVUK-MP-Visitor-Adaptor/dp/B000SWE2AY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512848335&sr=8-3&keywords=us+to+uk+plug+adapteror you you can buy the cables separately just check it’s the right one. Lenovo should really send you one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-1m-Laptop-Power-Cord/dp/B00N8LSVWW/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512848458&sr=1-7&keywords=Laptop+cable

No, I don't have the old one, it was a Warranty exchange so I had to send everything back to Lenovo

NO WAY would I use a US to UK adaptor - not after I used an EU to UK adaptor with a kettle (bought from Amazon Warehouse with an EU plug) - the adapter shorted and the prongs melted in the socket!

My main concern is buying one that's safe and certified, so many dodgy cables and plugs out there.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 9th Dec 2017
louiselouise1 h, 45 m ago

No, I don't have the old one, it was a Warranty exchange so I had to send …No, I don't have the old one, it was a Warranty exchange so I had to send everything back to Lenovo NO WAY would I use a US to UK adaptor - not after I used an EU to UK adaptor with a kettle (bought from Amazon Warehouse with an EU plug) - the adapter shorted and the prongs melted in the socket!My main concern is buying one that's safe and certified, so many dodgy cables and plugs out there.

Kettles for sure but laptops are ok they can come with both adaptors cables some business ones do. I travel a lot for work and swap my us and uk lead all of the time my us lead us about 10 years old. When people come here from the us they use and adaptor.

You use an adaptor when you go abroad fir laptops and other devices but don’t take a kettle different voltage in something’s dont switch.
Edited by: "eslick" 9th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants