Warranty question when unlocking a phone that subsequently gets blocked...

Found 22nd Mar 2015
I bought an iPhone 6 from a store recently - Trade Nation/Grainger Games. It comes with an 18 month warranty and is locked to EE.

I have an EE top-up card from a Moto E deal last week with £10 on it so I've been tempted to try this unlock form thing to use the credit (which I would otherwise end up letting go to waste). My only concern is that when I asked in the store they said quite clearly that unlocking will void the warranty, and that this would apply EVEN IF THE PHONE GOT BLOCKED. I can accept (grudgingly) that if the phone broke and I'd unlocked it, they would show me the receipt and say 'see'; but if the phone got blocked, would the 'warranty' not be irrelevant? Could they refuse to sort out the phone on the basis of it having been unlocked even if it isn't a 'fault' as much as criminal fraud? I would expect that they would still be held accountable for a replacement and that any tick box I've agreed to with regard to unlocking would be irrelevant in this situation but I wondered if anyone with any legal background might know where I stand before I do it. I might move on to Three when my contract runs out in September you see.

Thanks in advance.

3 Comments

just don't tell them you have unlocked it? there is no physical way to tell. blocked is blocked. just say when you tried another network sim it worked, so must have already been unlocked when they sold it to you.

plead ignorance. say nothing unless they challenge you on the matter

If its locked to ee and your top up card is ee why do you need to unlock it?

Original Poster

Comment

Argoj

If its locked to ee and your top up card is ee why do you need to unlock … If its locked to ee and your top up card is ee why do you need to unlock it?

I don't need to unlock it but I'm thinking of moving to Three in September. EE might stop unlocking second-hand iPhones at some point and I have a SIM with £10 on it just sitting here after buying a Moto E from CPW last week.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions