Groups
    EXPIRED

Was I dreaming?

Was I dreaming or was there a post on here asking people 'Which tank would fill first'? I'm sure there was, but I'm damned if I can find it. I commented too. Most weird!!

18 Comments

Nah, you weren't dreaming it, can't find it either though.

Saw one on facebook the other day, but cannot find now.
    Edited by: "Tr1gger" 6th Jan

Mod & Ed

Is this it HERE?

https://us-static.z-dn.net/files/d58/f6b55980140dd882e86eb7c7e8613cd5.jpg

Lots of variations of the diagram, some have the pipes between tank(s) blocked as a trick.

I reckon number 3

M1 Abraham for sure.

depends if the water freezes and where

peeej1978

M1 Abraham for sure.

I agree

We did something like this is school some 25+ years ago and something tells me its 4

3 and 4 fill equally first.... I googled for a demo. (_;)

3 will fill slightly before 4, due to friction in the interconnecting pipe requiring a pressure head to fill tank 4.

It's 3 on this post. It's 2 on the other post.

Original Poster

The answer is 'No, I wasn't dreaming'. Thanks. glad I'm not totally insane.

Bobbajob

3 will fill slightly before 4, due to friction in the interconnecting … 3 will fill slightly before 4, due to friction in the interconnecting pipe requiring a pressure head to fill tank 4.

Drink to that.

Original Poster

landros1

Drink to that.

​ to fill totally to the brim then number 4 must be the answer, as 3+4 are the same but 4 fills from the top and drains 3 from the bottom forming a siphon. Once started the siphon will pull all the water out of tank 3 until air enters the drain pipe cancelling the vacuum. So 4 will fill to overflowing -the others can't.

Bobbajob

3 will fill slightly before 4, due to friction in the interconnecting … 3 will fill slightly before 4, due to friction in the interconnecting pipe requiring a pressure head to fill tank 4.

You aren't factoring in the backpressure from 1 and 2

It was on the test your IQ in the misc section
    here
    Edited by: "LillyM" 6th Jan
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iptv814
      2. How to cancel Virgin Media?812
      3. Mountain bike £200-£30033
      4. Music download22