Was this jobcentre staff member correct?

Found 15th Jul 2010
Just started signing back on my my degree has finished with the intention to get a job fast and open to basic jobs.

However I have problems with certain types of social interactions due to having aspergers and when I told the person what jobs I can apply for I said call centre staff, but only when customers ring in as I cannot ring out and try and get new customers as due to my disability I cannot comprehend certain things.

I was told if I wanted to put call centre staff down on my 3 jobs I will apply for and a job comes up in telesales which involves me ringing up customers to sell, I MUST apply for it otherwise I will get the money stopped.

This isnt a case of me not actually wanting to do this sort of job, I would want to do it but have problems comprehending things so a job in that area would mean I would be stuttering on the phone a lot and being incoherent and getting confused and not understanding the job so would lose the company custom.

So was the jobcentre member of staff right saying if I put down a job type in the form I must go for any jobs in that field?!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
21 Comments

Best to go along with it and blow the interviews you don't want, best bet is to introduce yourself and immediately ask if the organization has a sexual harassment policy.

danmc

Best to go along with it and blow the interviews you don't want, best bet … Best to go along with it and blow the interviews you don't want, best bet is to introduce yourself and immediately ask if the organization has a sexual harassment policy.

hahahaha

Yes, JC+ are basically there to justify their own existence. Apply for all the jobs they tell you to, so that you can get the J S Allowance and make sure that you put Aspergers prominently in any forms you fill out for unsuitable jobs.

Then you can find a suitable job for yourself via local ads etc etc.

Banned

Had a lad with Aspergers come over and help me with pumping up my tyres this evening, feel sorry for him always wondering around on his own, talking to himself. Surely there is support for people suffering from it?

Banned

being incoherent and getting confused and not understanding the job? that just means you would fit in perfectly at most places that call me

lumoruk

Had a lad with Aspergers come over and help me with pumping up my tyres … Had a lad with Aspergers come over and help me with pumping up my tyres this evening, feel sorry for him always wondering around on his own, talking to himself. Surely there is support for people suffering from it?

I used to work for a charity (local to North London) who provided a range of such support services (for aspergers it was mainly counselling and outreach). Unfortunately, they were rarely used by adults with aspergers as they struggled to find the funding to use the services. The result was our two highly qualified/skilled psychologists had to go Part Time. The outreach workers were either volunteers or bank workers being paid £6.60 pr hour.

The rest of the charity focus was on adults at the more severe end of the autistic spectrum - mainly residential care (which is where the funding gets driven within LAs). Working there was an absolute eye opener for me. I learnt so much about people.

danmc

Best to go along with it and blow the interviews you don't want, best bet … Best to go along with it and blow the interviews you don't want, best bet is to introduce yourself and immediately ask if the organization has a sexual harassment policy.

loooooooooooool

Banned

"Not being able to comprehend certain types of things" makes it sound like you are ideal for a call centre. I thought that was a requirement to be honest!

Banned

or you could go into the interview and tell them straight away why you can't do the job they are offering, apologise for wasting their time, explain the jobcentre forced you to go for the interview, even after telling them you couldn't do the job, and hopefully the company will compain to them. I certainly would if I were looking for staff and they wasted my time sending people who couldn't do the job!

TUSSFC

I used to work for a charity (local to North London) who provided a range … I used to work for a charity (local to North London) who provided a range of such support services (for aspergers it was mainly counselling and outreach). Unfortunately, they were rarely used by adults with aspergers as they struggled to find the funding to use the services. The result was our two highly qualified/skilled psychologists had to go Part Time. The outreach workers were either volunteers or bank workers being paid £6.60 pr hour.The rest of the charity focus was on adults at the more severe end of the autistic spectrum - mainly residential care (which is where the funding gets driven within LAs). Working there was an absolute eye opener for me. I learnt so much about people.

I am an administrator for a company just like that but we provide support for deaf people within the local community. We support them to live independent lives and help with budgeting, jobs etc. There must be some sort of help for aspergers?

colinsunderland

or you could go into the interview and tell them straight away why you … or you could go into the interview and tell them straight away why you can't do the job they are offering, apologise for wasting their time, explain the jobcentre forced you to go for the interview, even after telling them you couldn't do the job, and hopefully the company will compain to them. I certainly would if I were looking for staff and they wasted my time sending people who couldn't do the job!

Then they will want to hire you for your honesty

Make an appointment to see the DEA (disability employment adviser) at the Jobcentre they will add all the details to your claim so your benefit won't stop due to the condition and they will give you extra help to find the right job for you.

You do not have to apply for every telesales job. Surely if you dont like the sound of a job you dont have to apply for it.

Plus the only jobs they force you to apply for are the ones they give you, but just reject any that are telesales as they are going through the list...simples

Banned

a bit confused to how you are able to deal with incoming calls without getting confused and not comprehending, yet you cant for outgoing calls, sounds to me like a call centre is out the window full stop

Original Poster

khy86

You do not have to apply for every telesales job. Surely if you dont like … You do not have to apply for every telesales job. Surely if you dont like the sound of a job you dont have to apply for it.Plus the only jobs they force you to apply for are the ones they give you, but just reject any that are telesales as they are going through the list...simples

I was basically told if a job is available in the field I said I would work then if I dont apply for it I was purposley damaging my chances of working, I did think afterwards that what if a job came up in a womans underwear shop would I have to apply since its retail work!

sassie

a bit confused to how you are able to deal with incoming calls without … a bit confused to how you are able to deal with incoming calls without getting confused and not comprehending, yet you cant for outgoing calls, sounds to me like a call centre is out the window full stop

I think its because that if someone rings in, the connection has been made and they tell you what they have a problem with and then I can problem solve with them and generally have a good natter whilst if I ring out I have to worry about people getting irate and giving abuse or just slamming phone down and my brain finds it hard to adjust to that sort of work, however if I get an irate customer phoning in,or a problem that involves me having to ring customer back I am fine at that.

My work experience is call centres and all 3 have been highly rated due to my disability I get very OCD so if I got a phone call 30 seconds before the end of my shift or 30 seconds from my break I would work till the call was finished even if it took 10 minutes or more and all 3 pestered me to stay when I wanted to leave and was in top ranked staff members on list of top 10(out of hundreds)

Anyway the JC system has changed recently, I have been told if I turn up to sign on without my booklet I will automatically lose the entire fortnights money, if I forget the job diary its a weeks loss, if I turn up more than 5 minutes late its a weeks loss despite my DEA last year when I signed on for a few weeks at the same jobcentre saying I was exempt from the usual rules.

The advisor I saw today even admitted that with my disabilities I should be treated different from the system but the system treats everyone the same, they even admitted that it was due to the government trying to get people into work.

I agree with somebody else about seeing a disability advisor at the job centre, there are different rules for people who suffer from diabilities. I used to work for the DWP, and know full well there are differences. Maybe have a word at CAB, or push to speak to a different advisor.

The other option is just to look for incoming call centres. DWP is centred around call centre work these days, 99% of which is incoming unless you work in a processing section.

dwpjobs

Energy companies, banks, insurance companies etc all have incoming call jobs, look for someone who has been accredited with an Investors in People award as they are generally (though no always) more accepting of diversity.

Good luck anyways!

You need to play the 'game' and jump through any hoops that the JC send your way.

Good luck with finding a role, For certain roles I would actively recruit an aspie, I did recruit a coder on the aspie spectrum and initially it was a nightmare, until I adapted my own MGT style, now I have one of the finest coders I have ever seen.

Some aspie traits can be an absolute boon to employers if they open their eyes.

JC are diabolical - they sent my lad who has no experience at all for a handyman job when he was looking for retail work or work with children, and they threatened to stop his money if he didnt do the interview - the owner of the hotel wasnt best pleased !

They also dont pay him every time there's bank holiday as their system cant cope, and this week they havent paid him at all (again) and then told him he had his NI no wrong so they couldnt sort it out - he's been going there since last Sept so I think his NI no should be right !!

vraptorchick

JC are diabolical - they sent my lad who has no experience at all for a … JC are diabolical - they sent my lad who has no experience at all for a handyman job when he was looking for retail work or work with children, and they threatened to stop his money if he didnt do the interview - the owner of the hotel wasnt best pleased !They also dont pay him every time there's bank holiday as their system cant cope, and this week they havent paid him at all (again) and then told him he had his NI no wrong so they couldnt sort it out - he's been going there since last Sept so I think his NI no should be right !!

Your lad needs to ring revenue and customs. will have to provide NI num and security questions etc, get them to double check detail. The NI system is messed up in a lot of cases! I only worked for DWP for a year and came across so many defects, eg 2 people with same NI number with exceptionally similar names (something like one was Susan Mary Brown, and other was Mary Susan Brown), people declared deceased when not,. There was a case in my hometown where somebody had a duplicate NI number, because the first person had already claimed their pension, this lady was told she was not entitiled, took her months to sort out.

JC has access to CIS (Customer Information System), and contributuins system which hold everybody's NI, DOB, name, benefits claimed, employment history, NI paid. This is the system DWP use, if HMRC have altered details or something has gone awry then this could be reason. If he phones Rev and Customs to clarify situation, he can then go back and tell JC what their system states!

OP good on you for willing to work almost anywhere - best of luck to you and hope you find something soon

sassie

a bit confused to how you are able to deal with incoming calls without … a bit confused to how you are able to deal with incoming calls without getting confused and not comprehending, yet you cant for outgoing calls, sounds to me like a call centre is out the window full stop

I'm sure the OP knows what he can do and what he can't do due to the fact that he is the one who suffers from the condition, like dyslexia everyone suffers differently, some more then others. Good luck on the job front OP, out of interest Sassie do you work?
Post a comment
@
    Text