Was your Facebook Data Stolen by Cambridge Analytica? Here's how to find out.

Editor 22
Found 9th Apr
87 Million people had their Facebook Data stolen by the political research firm Cambridge Analytica.

Starting today, Facebook will be notifying people who had their information taken.

The majority (70%) of users are in the US, however the rest are primarily in the UK, Indonesia and the Philippines.

So, how do you find out?

A notification will appear at the top of your Facebook newsfeed, along with a new button for changing your privacy settings. Even if your information wasn’t swallowed up by Cambridge Analytica, it’s probably a good time to change your settings anyway.

2923383.jpg(Gizmodo / Sky News)

If your data wasn’t stolen by Cambridge Analytica, it will appear like the newsfeed on the left. But if your data was obtained by Cambridge Analytica, it will look like the screen on the right.

If you or a friend ever took a “personality quiz” on Facebook, there’s a really good chance that you were a target of political operatives somewhere in the world. It may have been fun to find out which Disney princess you are, but all of those personality traits have been catalogued and monetized.

The changes - which are being introduced globally - come alongside an update to the News Feed which will show people what apps they use and what information is shared with those apps.

Users are intended to be able to remove apps that they no longer want in an easier fashion, and as part of this process Facebook will be informing people if their data was shared with Cambridge Analytica.

Affected users will automatically be presented with a notice that says: "We have banned the website 'This Is Your Digital Life,' which one of your friends used Facebook to log into.

"We did this because the website may have misused some of your Facebook information by sharing it with a company called Cambridge Analytica."

Phishing is also a big problem on Facebook.

At the core of every phishing scam is something that looks legitimate trying to trick you into giving away personal information, such as your email, password, or even credit card information.

The scams might use a friend or commonly used app’s name to get your attention. The idea is to build trust so you’ll click a link, download an application, or fill out a form. As you might have guessed, anything you do sends personal information back to the scammer.

You’ll likely encounter several different phishing trends on Facebook. Some of the top include:

• Friend request from someone you’re already friends with
  • Get rich quick or guaranteed prize posts from friends
  • Free items or surveys that ask for personal information
  • Emails that look like they’re from Facebook, but ask you to click a link to login (Facebook never does this)
  • Customize Facebook apps, such as adding a Dislike button
  • Charity requests from friends
  • Checking who’s viewed your profile
  • Videos requiring an app or linking to another site before viewing the video
  • Facebook security/privacy violation warnings

Most posts and messages can be reported using the Report link next to the content. If you receive an email pretending to be Facebook, report it by emailing all details to phish@fb.com.

You can also take a look at Facebooks advice on Phishing, here.

Always be aware of giving Third Party apps access to your facebook information, for example quizzes or third party websites.

Were your details taken? Got some tips to help other members protect their privacy? Share it in the comments below!
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
What can we do if our data was stolen? Like I want compo, I'll settle for half a million...
master1013 m ago

What can we do if our data was stolen? Like I want compo, I'll settle for …What can we do if our data was stolen? Like I want compo, I'll settle for half a million...

ccnp6 m ago

There is a mind numbingly large elephant in the room that remains …There is a mind numbingly large elephant in the room that remains undiscussed or PROSECUTEDHTF can I authorise use of my Friends data or anyone say that they have obtained the individuals permission?

Never put anything online that you do not want to share with anybody else (with or without your consent).

Seems obvious now, doesn't it?
22 Comments
What can we do if our data was stolen? Like I want compo, I'll settle for half a million...
There is a mind numbingly large elephant in the room that remains undiscussed or PROSECUTED

How can I authorise use of my Friends data or anyone say that they have obtained the individuals permission?
Edited by: "ccnp" 9th Apr
master1013 m ago

What can we do if our data was stolen? Like I want compo, I'll settle for …What can we do if our data was stolen? Like I want compo, I'll settle for half a million...

ccnp6 m ago

There is a mind numbingly large elephant in the room that remains …There is a mind numbingly large elephant in the room that remains undiscussed or PROSECUTEDHTF can I authorise use of my Friends data or anyone say that they have obtained the individuals permission?

Never put anything online that you do not want to share with anybody else (with or without your consent).

Seems obvious now, doesn't it?
fanpages1 m ago

Never put anything online that you do not want to share with anybody else …Never put anything online that you do not want to share with anybody else (with or without your consent).Seems obvious now, doesn't it?

I dont have much apart from my name on it, hence just the half a million in compo.
master102 m ago

I dont have much apart from my name on it, hence just the half a million …I dont have much apart from my name on it, hence just the half a million in compo.

Is your name displayed as part of your public profile so it allows others to find you?
fanpages5 m ago

Is your name displayed as part of your public profile so it allows others …Is your name displayed as part of your public profile so it allows others to find you?

No
master1035 m ago

I dont have much apart from my name on it, hence just the half a million …I dont have much apart from my name on it, hence just the half a million in compo.

'Just'. A lovely word that means so little and yet so much.

Users sign the FB EULA so .............. the likes of Cambridge Analytica have by now, using 'just' a screen name

> taken the name
> linked it to an IP address and/or mobile number
> inferred a location (Town level, maybe better. Depends if they had an agreement with the ISP to give full name, address etc)
> noted every post viewed.
> noted every web site visited, calls and texts made/received (inc Whatsapp and other 'secure' apps)
> combined the data with other data they have access to (mobile phone data, Twitter and other SM accounts, pad data, ISP data, Amazon data, Tesco data, eBay data etc etc)
> quite possibly linked medical data
> very probably had access to email

They now have name, age, location. Viewing habits, shopping habits, reading habits, banking habits and other habits they can infer or link you to directly. Relatives, friends, jobs, religious leanings, political leanings, level of education, leisure pursuits etc

They have analysed that data and, my dear Watson, deduced things a user may not even know about themselves. They know how to manipulate thinking and opinions. They know how to get people to spend money and on what.

And that's all from a screen name.

But they still can't help the police.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 9th Apr
master1037 m ago

fanpages34 m ago

Is your name displayed as part of your public profile so it allows others …Is your name displayed as part of your public profile so it allows others to find you?

master1029 m ago

No

OK, so your real name or a name you are more commonly known by is just in your profile, but not visible to others?

To save a lot of back'n'forth here; how does an external agency link your Facebook account to you (at your home address, or to your motor vehicle, or to anything that can be used to identify you in real life)?

(Reading @ccnp's reply above may help although i disagree with some of the links that can be made without other interventions)
fanpages25 m ago

OK, so your real name or a name you are more commonly known by is just in …OK, so your real name or a name you are more commonly known by is just in your profile, but not visible to others?To save a lot of back'n'forth here; how does an external agency link your Facebook account to you (at your home address, or to your motor vehicle, or to anything that can be used to identify you in real life)?(Reading @ccnp's reply above may help although i disagree with some of the links that can be made without other interventions)

I think my remarks have gone over your head.
master102 m ago

I think my remarks have gone over your head.

Please clarify/explain if I have missed any points. I was under the impression you require guidance on how you were affected.

If you were just attempting to be humorous & it has failed, you have my sympathy.
Appreciate that some of my links seem fanciful so consider this and extrapolate

I use Gmail for email and contacts
I have an Android phone
I use the Gmail email app on my phone
I use an app to backup my texts and contacts
I use Whatsapp on my phone
I use FB on my phone
I use the Tesco app on my phone
I browse on my phone
I have the Amazon app and shop heavily with them
I have a Tesco Clubcard

(I agreed all the EULAs. They all said (paraphrasing) 'we do everything STRICTLY in accordance with our Privacy Statement'. And that statement said (paraphrasing) '...we can do anything, ANYTHING we want with your data.....'

FB and CA now have

My screen name
My mobile number + operator
My real name
My Whatsapp account
My FB account
My Tesco clubcard account
My browsing history
My location (home and movements)
My shopping habits
My credit card issuer
My bank name
My friends names, numbers, FB accounts etc

Google have all that + the (automatically analysed as I send/receive them) contents of my emails

Honestly. It isn't that difficult conceptually even if you are legit. It just takes a while to line up the ducks (data sharing agreements) and develop your algorythms.

If you are rogue, it's like the Inca lost city of gold

Now lets start thinking about the integrity of those behind the Betting Apps .............................
fanpages8 m ago

Please clarify/explain if I have missed any points. I was under the …Please clarify/explain if I have missed any points. I was under the impression you require guidance on how you were affected.If you were just attempting to be humorous & it has failed, you have my sympathy.

I thought it was funny.
How do you find out if neither of those have come up?
ccnp21 m ago

Appreciate that some of my links seem fanciful so consider this and …Appreciate that some of my links seem fanciful so consider this and extrapolateI use Gmail for email and contactsI have an Android phoneI use the Gmail email app on my phoneI use an app to backup my texts and contacts I use Whatsapp on my phoneI use FB on my phoneI...

...and, in light of that subset from your summary, I refer you to my opening comment:

fanpages1 h, 32 m ago

Never put anything online that you do not want to share with anybody else …Never put anything online that you do not want to share with anybody else (with or without your consent).Seems obvious now, doesn't it?

PS. I did warn this outcome (data sharing from Facebook/Whatsapp information) was going to happen very early into the life of the site's dedicated Whatsapp thread. I tried twice to do this & both of my comments were removed. The second time I received a lovely "Private Message" from a Moderator warning me not to do it again as it was just my opinion.
Edited by: "fanpages" 9th Apr
fanpages1 h, 4 m ago

Please clarify/explain if I have missed any points. I was under the …Please clarify/explain if I have missed any points. I was under the impression you require guidance on how you were affected.If you were just attempting to be humorous & it has failed, you have my sympathy.

It may have failed with you, but even as a genuine question you still have failed to answer.
master102 h, 40 m ago

It may have failed with you, but even as a genuine question you still have …It may have failed with you, but even as a genuine question you still have failed to answer.

As you did not respond to my most recent query so I could provide a rounded answer tailored to your specific circumstances that, it would now seem, were fabricated anyway.

When it was established you were joking, I gave up caring trying to help you.
fanpages16 m ago

As you did not respond to my most recent query so I could provide a …As you did not respond to my most recent query so I could provide a rounded answer tailored to your specific circumstances that, it would now seem, were fabricated anyway.When it was established you were joking, I gave up caring trying to help you.

Im very upset you cant bestow upon me your infinite wisdom. Im deeply saddened.
fanpages17 m ago

As you did not respond to my most recent query so I could provide a …As you did not respond to my most recent query so I could provide a rounded answer tailored to your specific circumstances that, it would now seem, were fabricated anyway.When it was established you were joking, I gave up caring trying to help you.

Such a shame you cant bestow your infinite wisdom upon me.
fanpages41 m ago

master1025 m ago

Im very upset you cant bestow upon me your infinite wisdom. Im deeply …Im very upset you cant bestow upon me your infinite wisdom. Im deeply saddened.

master1024 m ago

Such a shame you cant bestow your infinite wisdom upon me.

Don't worry you'll get over it.
33607791-Eswl7.jpg
Honestly, who cares. It'll all be over in a couple of months. FB will offer some platitude about extra security while in secret work out some other way to monitise your life and everyone will drift back and forget it all.
Edited by: "AgentDaleCooper" 10th Apr
One thing I've not seen is how to check if you have a deactivated or deleted account... I have the former
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions