Washed and peeled potatoes vs unwashed and unpeeled potatoes

Found 25th Sep 2015
I know how ridiculous this sounds.

I am learning to cook and apart from the obvious what is the difference?

Are washed ones done in a lot of bad chemicals and you have to wash them anyway?

Thanks

4 Comments

Mainly just a price difference, peeled and washed are more convenient (although I do wash them again!) but about 3-4x the price. Unwashed and unpeeled last loads longer and are a lot cheaper but take longer to prepare.

Depends on how they are peeled.
iirc its mostly steam then rollers to remove the skin, not sure if they add anything else to make the process quicker.

If your learning to cook then I would go with unwashed and unpeeled, then use a paring knife to peel them.
Works out cheaper, they last longer and you'll learn good knife skills.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 25th Sep 2015

W

joedastudd

If your learning to cook then I would go with unwashed and unpeeled, then … If your learning to cook then I would go with unwashed and unpeeled, then use a paring knife to peel them.Works out cheaper, they last longer and you'll learn good knife skills.

+1
Also, I use a vegetable peeler to peel my potatoes, for me it's loads faster. The Tesco value peeler is the sharpest peeler I've ever seen, worth having a look next time you're in Tesco it only costs around 50p.

P.s. Good on you OP for learning to cook, don't feel silly asking questions, it's better to learn on other people's mistakes where possible
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions