Groups

Washer / Dryer Experience

Hi all

I know most folks say that they are rubbish, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a washer / dryer.

The dryer wouldn't be used too often but occasionally for bedding and towels, so it's important that it dries things properly (even if slowly).

I'm looking at something from Samsung possibly, or another reasonably higher-end machine.

Capacity about 9/6 kilo for wash / dry looks about right, something like this:

ao.com/pro…spx

Does anyone own a washer / dryer that does the job?

Personal experience please!

Many thanks all

Uri

16 Comments

Nope, washer/dryers are terribly uneconomical and nearly always break.

Much better to buy separate, Remember a condenser dryer can go in virtually any room etc.. much better and more efficient.

my washer dryer was useless, spent more money repairing it than I did buying a condenser. I wouldn't waste my money again

Bosch serie 6 , cant fault it...get what you pay for. Miele if you can afford it!

I have had three different makes when I used to live in rental properties. They are great at turning your precious items into scalding hot, wet balls of fury at the same time getting the glass door hot enough to leave your fingertips behind if you accidentally touch it. Add to this the average three hours it takes to get stuff moderately damp and the constant noise and gushing water sounds. I'd rather buy new clothes every day than use another washer dryer. Please spend your money at a launderette or a washing machine with a very fast spin cycle. Leave these where they belong, back with the Sinclair C5, Samsung Galaxy Note and the Wii U.

I don't know what is with the majority of posters here, my experience is the complete opposite.

I've had my Indesit iwdd7123 for 3 years now and not a single problem, works perfectly and would NEVER go back to just having a washer, and I don't have the kitchen space to buy a separate dryer. Best appliance purchase ever, even convinced my mother to buy a washer/dryer (same one) and she's very happy about it.

I use mine about once a week, mother uses probably every day or other day. Both work fine no problems.

I mostly just use it on express wash&dry which takes 35 minutes and part dries the clothes, amazing for winter hang drying my clothes without the heating on. Mother uses it to dry her towels (often!).

The washer/dryer I bought was admittedly the cheapest one available from John Lewis and came with 2 year warranty. So since you're spending more than £350 you'll be getting a 5 year warranty I suppose, which is peace of mind.

And far as I know it's pretty standard for all washer/dryers to have all steam exit through water waste pipe, so they can go in any room.

We've got a washer and a dryer, it's the best way to go but in the past we've had washer dryers and they have been fine. I think if I was going for one now I would checkout the LG range as they seem to be the only ones not still working on 1960s technology and give good warrentee. If like the washers they also make a nice chime when finished :-)

I've got the samsung ecobubble and would highly recommend it. Really good at washing and drying unless you overload it. Had it since April and no issues also comes with 5 years parts and labour warranty and 10 years parts on the motor. mines the 12kg version and I can honestly say the dryer properly dries. I probably use mine between 3/4 times a week.

those who are saying washer dryers are rubbish probably still believe that they're rubbish like 10 or so years ago. They have vastly improved but it will always be more economical to buy separate machines but not everyone has the luxury of space.

PenguinsForAll

I've had my Indesit iwdd7123 for 3 years now and not a single problem, … I've had my Indesit iwdd7123 for 3 years now and not a single problem, works perfectly and would NEVER go back to just having a washer

Some of the first few reviews I've come across for this exact model include:
    ...Dryer isn't up to much, wouldn't use it for anything other than small amounts, probably takes about 3x longer than my old 'proper' tumble dryer.
    ...it is useless as a dryer. It takes up to 3 hours to do the drying (for sheets) and they may still come out moist in certain parts - and extremely wrinkled! It feels like a waste of time and energy to use the dryer function.
    ...I feel the drier doesn't dry as well as expected.
    ....the dryer is more like a steamer, the clothes just don't dry! please do not buy this item, it is not fit for purpose, we have had a few weeks but ended up buying another dryer

applianceelectronics.co.uk/pro…254

also check this site out I got ao.com to price match them and managed to snag mine at just £645 after cashback came through from ao. although I waited 2 years for a decent deal to come up.

moneybag

Some of the first few reviews I've come across for this exact model … Some of the first few reviews I've come across for this exact model include:...Dryer isn't up to much, wouldn't use it for anything other than small amounts, probably takes about 3x longer than my old 'proper' tumble dryer....it is useless as a dryer. It takes up to 3 hours to do the drying (for sheets) and they may still come out moist in certain parts - and extremely wrinkled! It feels like a waste of time and energy to use the dryer function....I feel the drier doesn't dry as well as expected.....the dryer is more like a steamer, the clothes just don't dry! please do not buy this item, it is not fit for purpose, we have had a few weeks but ended up buying another dryer

​I have the same machine just a larger model and I can almost guarantee that the ones complaining don't know that you can put a full load in the machine. They probably fill it to max and switch it on or are using it on the wrong setting.
    I've had mine long enough and with a family of 6 have no issues using the dryer. It gets everything completely dry but then again I actually know how to use the dryer function.

moneybag

Some of the first few reviews I've come across for this exact model … Some of the first few reviews I've come across for this exact model include:...Dryer isn't up to much, wouldn't use it for anything other than small amounts, probably takes about 3x longer than my old 'proper' tumble dryer....it is useless as a dryer. It takes up to 3 hours to do the drying (for sheets) and they may still come out moist in certain parts - and extremely wrinkled! It feels like a waste of time and energy to use the dryer function....I feel the drier doesn't dry as well as expected.....the dryer is more like a steamer, the clothes just don't dry! please do not buy this item, it is not fit for purpose, we have had a few weeks but ended up buying another dryer

If you go looking for bad reviews of a product you'll find them. Those bad reviews are a load of tripe anyway.

It's rated a solid 4/5 star on currys, john lewis, tesco etc.
    Edited by: "PenguinsForAll" 16th Nov 2016

PenguinsForAll

If you go looking for bad reviews of a product you'll find them. Those … If you go looking for bad reviews of a product you'll find them. Those bad reviews are a load of tripe anyway.It's rated a solid 4/5 star on currys, john lewis, tesco etc.

Three of those comments were on the first page of John Lewis reviews, I dream of finding a machine that actually works!

Original Poster

Hi all, thanks very much for the time spent to reply, much appreciated. We are still chewing it over but definitely like the look of the Samsung or LG ones, if we are going to go for it. Bit of a faff but if we buy from one of the big retailers I'd hope we could return it if not fit for purpose

We've had a Samsung eco bubble for 5 years now - it has worked fine, not too expensive to run, but drying can take up to 3hrs for towels and/or bedding.

I had an indesit one in the past. As a washing machine, it was fine, but generally a terrible dryer. Would get too hot and make the clothes smell (it would remove all that lovely just washed smell). Also, if one breaks, both breaks.
    If you have the space, go for separate units.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions